Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 3D Scan

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
I've played with photographic imagining, and touch probing, but the fact
its time consuming and the results are mixed. I do a little low end mold
making, and from time to time I'll have a customer that would like me to
cut a mold based on a hand carved or sculpted model. I've emailed several
companies on-line who advertise 3D scanning service. Most seem to be more
geared towards building size or larger projects, and none have responded.

I'm looking for somebody who is setup to provide decent surface meshes
from a model. Most models are going to be less than 12 inches in their
largest dimension, and many will not necessarily need to be scanned from
all sides. Price is an issue, but regardless of the price I'll just pass
it on to the customer. They will either say yes or no and that will be
the end of it.

Sigh. I have whatever you guys are replying to blocked.

I just wanted to know if anybody could suggest a company to do the type of
work I asked about who was willing to give some kind of estimated price
structure on jobs so I could determine which way I wanted to go to take care
of these customers, or if it was even practical. Or even provide a simple
process to get an estimate on a case by case basis.