Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ecnerwal[_3_] Ecnerwal[_3_] is offline

Default 3D Scan

In article ,
"Bob La Londe" wrote:

I've played with photographic imagining, and touch probing, but the fact its
time consuming and the results are mixed. I do a little low end mold
making, and from time to time I'll have a customer that would like me to cut
a mold based on a hand carved or sculpted model. I've emailed several
companies on-line who advertise 3D scanning service. Most seem to be more
geared towards building size or larger projects, and none have responded.

I'm looking for somebody who is setup to provide decent surface meshes from
a model. Most models are going to be less than 12 inches in their largest
dimension, and many will not necessarily need to be scanned from all sides.
Price is an issue, but regardless of the price I'll just pass it on to the
customer. They will either say yes or no and that will be the end of it.

I know a bunch of folks on the ShopBot forum claim to do this (laser
scanners, etc. in that size range) but I haven't used any of them (I
have the olde-fashioned one and they made the upgrades so expensive I
gave up on keeping up, since I bought the darn thing as "affordable"
among other things.) talkshopbot.com should get you there.