Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Kitchen floor question

Going to ask the collective wisdom, (and I'm sure, wit) of the group. I
am redoing the kitchen floor. Underlayment is solid, no squeaks, etc.
Removing the stick on tiles with heat, so as not to delaminate the
underlayment. Tried to pull a small section of the underlayment that did
delaminate when pulling a tile without heat. It was stuck to the
sub-floor very well, due to very old felt/tar-paper underneath it.
Therefore pulling the underlayment and replacing is a no go. The problem
is the tile stickum is leaving very sticky residue on the underlayment.
Nice and even. If I was going to replace with the same, no problem. But,
I'm putting a floating floor down, and want it not to stick. Need some
creative, ridiculous or anything in between, solutions. Metalworking
content; wife says I get to buy more mill tooling if I get the floor
complete this weekend.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve Walker wrote:
[...]

Go grab some builders paper (thick paper like old paper bags were made
from). Lay that out and roll it to stick it to the glue nice and smooth.
Install your floor. The paper will prevent the glue from bonding to the
floating floor. Did that on a floor a few years ago.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve Walker wrote:
Going to ask the collective wisdom, (and I'm sure, wit) of the group.
I am redoing the kitchen floor. Underlayment is solid, no squeaks,
etc. Removing the stick on tiles with heat, so as not to delaminate
the underlayment. Tried to pull a small section of the underlayment
that did delaminate when pulling a tile without heat. It was stuck to
the sub-floor very well, due to very old felt/tar-paper underneath it.
Therefore pulling the underlayment and replacing is a no go. The
problem is the tile stickum is leaving very sticky residue on the
underlayment. Nice and even. If I was going to replace with the same,
no problem. But, I'm putting a floating floor down, and want it not
to stick. Need some creative, ridiculous or anything in between,
solutions. Metalworking content; wife says I get to buy more mill
tooling if I get the floor complete this weekend.

Lay a layer of 15 lb felt over it - not enough tar in it to be sticky . Does
your new flooring use a foam layer under the flooring ?
For that matter , why are you pulling the existing tiles ? Might be easier
all the way around to just lay over 'em .
--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/17/2014 7:40 PM, Steve Walker wrote:
I'm putting a floating floor down, and want it not to stick. ...

It seems to me that the floating floor makes it really easy. Just a
layer of anything that will cover the sticky. Rosin paper would
probably be my first choice. Polyethylene sheet?

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 20:09:13 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Steve Walker wrote:
[...]

Unless the tile is damaged, or there are any visible joints or
texture that might telegraph through the new flooring.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Steve Walker wrote:
[...]

I was thinking about that laminate stuff , I guess a lot of the new vinyl
flooring products are also designed to float . I haven't really kept up with
the new products , got out of the flooring business in the late 80's I
think , memory is fickle ... because of back problems .

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 19:40:30 -0400, Steve Walker
wrote:

[...]

Why pull anything up? Most floating floors have foam pad underlayment
between the old floor and new floater, so it should be no big deal.
Now that you have an stickiness, just stick the foam to it and let the
floor float as it's designed. I don't feel that you have a problem.
I'd have left the old flooring down, too, rather than attempt pulling
it. Well, unless you had a deep burn somewhere or something.

--
Resolve to be thyself: and know, that he who finds himself, loses his misery.
-- Matthew Arnold
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 22:12:59 -0500, "Terry Coombs"

wrote:

Steve Walker wrote:
[...]

We have a solid vinyl sheet floor in the kitchen installed in 1989 -
full floating edge gluedeen excellent- just need to be carefull moving
fridge and stove.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 21:06:18 -0400, Steve W. wrote:

Steve Walker wrote:
[...]

I was going to suggest masking tape. Steve's solution is much better.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve Walker wrote:
[...]

Every floating floor I've seen (or worked on) has required a foam
underlayment to effect the float.

--
Resolve to be thyself: and know, that he who finds himself, loses his misery.
-- Matthew Arnold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/18/2014 10:17 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
Every floating floor I've seen (or worked on) has required a foam
underlayment to effect the float.

The Habitat that I work with uses floating laminate floors a lot. They
often do not have a separate foam sheet, but a foam backing on each
piece. You wouldn't want them sticking.

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/17/2014 9:09 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Lay a layer of 15 lb felt over it - not enough tar in it to be sticky .

Maybe. Is that the same as tarpaper?

Does
your new flooring use a foam layer under the flooring ?

No:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/TrafficMA...ecommendations

For that matter , why are you pulling the existing tiles ? Might be easier
all the way around to just lay over 'em .

Trying to avoid the thickness, and I hate putting new over old anything.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/17/2014 11:26 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Why pull anything up?

I hate covering up old with new.

Most floating floors have foam pad underlayment
between the old floor and new floater, so it should be no big deal.
Now that you have an stickiness, just stick the foam to it and let the
floor float as it's designed.

No foam needed:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/TrafficMA...ecommendations

Also trying to avoid thickness.

I don't feel that you have a problem.
I'd have left the old flooring down, too, rather than attempt pulling
it. Well, unless you had a deep burn somewhere or something.

--
Resolve to be thyself: and know, that he who finds himself, loses his misery.
-- Matthew Arnold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve Walker wrote:
On 9/17/2014 9:09 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Lay a layer of 15 lb felt over it - not enough tar in it to be
sticky .

Maybe. Is that the same as tarpaper?

Does
your new flooring use a foam layer under the flooring ?

No:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/TrafficMA...ecommendations

For that matter , why are you pulling the existing tiles ? Might
be easier all the way around to just lay over 'em .

Trying to avoid the thickness, and I hate putting new over old
anything.

Yes , it's a form of tarpaper - it just has very little tar compared to
regular roofing felt .

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 18 Sep 2014 18:04:45 -0400, Steve Walker
wrote:

On 9/17/2014 9:09 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Lay a layer of 15 lb felt over it - not enough tar in it to be sticky .

Maybe. Is that the same as tarpaper?

Yeah, tarred felt roofing paper.

Does
your new flooring use a foam layer under the flooring ?

No:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/TrafficMA...ecommendations

No foam? That's downright strange.

For that matter , why are you pulling the existing tiles ? Might be easier
all the way around to just lay over 'em .

Trying to avoid the thickness, and I hate putting new over old anything.

With floors, I like extra thickness, except at transitions to other
flooring in other rooms at different heights.

"No new over old" is usually a good thing.