Posted to alt.home.repair
KOS KOS is offline

Default kitchen floor tile question

a friend of mine just had a new kitchen installed. The contractor who
did the tile work installed new tile for the floor.
The job was finished, but my friend noticed the contractor, for some
odd reason, installed a tile that is cracked, it looks like it was
filled with grout to cover it up.. but it is clearlly cracked.
shouldnt the contractor come back and replace the cracked tile he
installed?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"KOS" wrote in message
a friend of mine just had a new kitchen installed. The contractor who
did the tile work installed new tile for the floor.
The job was finished, but my friend noticed the contractor, for some
odd reason, installed a tile that is cracked, it looks like it was
filled with grout to cover it up.. but it is clearlly cracked.
shouldnt the contractor come back and replace the cracked tile he
installed?

Yes, it never should have been installed that way or left there if he caused
the crack. My concern would be that he will make a bigger mess taking it
out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
KOS typed:
a friend of mine just had a new kitchen installed. The
contractor who did the tile work installed new tile for
the floor.
The job was finished, but my friend noticed the
contractor, for some odd reason, installed a tile that is
cracked, it looks like it was filled with grout to cover
it up.. but it is clearlly cracked. shouldnt the
contractor come back and replace the cracked tile he
installed?

Read the contract: Then decide whether small claims court is too much bother
for you to pursue; they depend on that.
OTOH, he might come right back and correct the job.

Posted to alt.home.repair
KOS KOS is offline

On May 7, 11:46*am, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"KOS" wrote in message

a friend of mine just had a new kitchen installed. The contractor who
did the tile work installed new tile for the floor.
The job was finished, but my friend noticed the contractor, for some
odd reason, installed a tile that is cracked, it looks like it was
filled with grout to cover it up.. but it is clearlly cracked.
shouldnt the contractor come back and replace the cracked tile he
installed?

Yes, it never should have been installed that way or left there if he caused
the crack. *My concern would be that he will make a bigger mess taking it
out.

exactly, i think my friend held some money b/c job wasnt done yet. you
bring up a good point maybe the guy will make a bigger mess and create
more problems..
Posted to alt.home.repair
KOS KOS is offline

On May 7, 2:12*pm, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 7 May 2011 11:46:25 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

"KOS" wrote in message
a friend of mine just had a new kitchen installed. The contractor who
did the tile work installed new tile for the floor.
The job was finished, but my friend noticed the contractor, for some
odd reason, installed a tile that is cracked, it looks like it was
filled with grout to cover it up.. but it is clearlly cracked.
shouldnt the contractor come back and replace the cracked tile he
installed?

Yes, it never should have been installed that way or left there if he caused
the crack. *My concern would be that he will make a bigger mess taking it
out.

Second vote yes for calling the tile man back.

Does the owner have spare tile, that was saved for just this repair?
(always keep a few confederate tiles around)

yes, he has more tile....but the other poster brings up a good point..
this guy could ruin the whole thing trying to repair

Posted to alt.home.repair
KOS KOS is offline

"KOS" wrote in message

a friend of mine just had a new kitchen installed. The contractor who
did the tile work installed new tile for the floor.
The job was finished, but my friend noticed the contractor, for some
odd reason, installed a tile that is cracked, it looks like it was
filled with grout to cover it up.. but it is clearlly cracked.
shouldnt the contractor come back and replace the cracked tile he
installed?

Yes, it never should have been installed that way or left there if he caused
the crack. *My concern would be that he will make a bigger mess taking it
out.

exactly, i think my friend held some money b/c job wasnt done yet. you
bring up a good point maybe the guy will make a bigger mess and create
more problems..

if the guy refuses to fix it, then?
Posted to alt.home.repair
KOS KOS is offline

On May 7, 3:34*pm, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 7 May 2011 12:13:03 -0700 (PDT), KOS

wrote:
Yes, it never should have been installed that way or left there if he caused
the crack. *My concern would be that he will make a bigger mess taking it
out.

Second vote yes for calling the tile man back.

Does the owner have spare tile, that was saved for just this repair?
(always keep a few confederate tiles around)

yes, he has more tile....but the other poster brings up a good point..
this guy could ruin the whole thing trying to repair

I don't see a problem with a single cracked tile repair. *Yes, people
can crack the surrounding tiles getting one tile out.

This is what I do / done in the past.

Drill, masonry bit, hammer and flat bar:

Along the crack, create the relief breaks. *Drill holes in the crack
every 1/2 inch of so. Break the tile with the hammer. Use the flat bar
to pry out big pieces, clean up the grout / thinset -- ready for a new
tile.

Point is: making the relief breaks in the cracked tile, reduced
chances of damaged near-by tile.

thanks the real question was not 'how to" but dealing with bad
contractor and if he should fix
Posted to alt.home.repair
KOS KOS is offline

On May 7, 5:22*pm, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 7 May 2011 13:47:16 -0700 (PDT), KOS

wrote:
thanks the real question was not 'how to" but dealing with bad
contractor and if he should fix

Two votes said the contractor should fix the cracked tile. *That may
or may not be the installer.

Hard to tell since you speak for a friend and not yourself. The matter
is best handled between those people.

thanks everyone for help
contractor is the tile guy
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

If he ruins the whole thing or even surrounding tiles, then he just
keeps going replacing tiles until it is repaired to customers
satisfaction.

Posted to alt.home.repair

KOS wrote in
:

[...]

He took the job. If tiler can't correct it then tiler needs to sub-k
someone who can. Tilers problem. Not the buyer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"KOS" wrote in message

[...]

someone who can. Tilers problem. Not the buyer.- Hide quoted text -

I've removed cracked tile with the ball head of a hammer without
drilling. Just don't get carried away and start near the crack. The
use a brick chisel as a scraper to clean out the grout and take down
the old mortar a bit.