Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Kitchen floor question

On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 23:12:54 -0500, Tim Wescott
wrote:

On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 21:06:18 -0400, Steve W. wrote:

Steve Walker wrote:
Going to ask the collective wisdom, (and I'm sure, wit) of the group. I
am redoing the kitchen floor. Underlayment is solid, no squeaks, etc.
Removing the stick on tiles with heat, so as not to delaminate the
underlayment. Tried to pull a small section of the underlayment that
did delaminate when pulling a tile without heat. It was stuck to the
sub-floor very well, due to very old felt/tar-paper underneath it.
Therefore pulling the underlayment and replacing is a no go. The
problem is the tile stickum is leaving very sticky residue on the
underlayment. Nice and even. If I was going to replace with the same,
no problem. But,
I'm putting a floating floor down, and want it not to stick. Need some
creative, ridiculous or anything in between, solutions. Metalworking
content; wife says I get to buy more mill tooling if I get the floor
complete this weekend.

Go grab some builders paper (thick paper like old paper bags were made
from). Lay that out and roll it to stick it to the glue nice and smooth.
Install your floor. The paper will prevent the glue from bonding to the
floating floor. Did that on a floor a few years ago.

I was going to suggest masking tape. Steve's solution is much better.

Every floating floor I've seen (or worked on) has required a foam
underlayment to effect the float.

--
Resolve to be thyself: and know, that he who finds himself, loses his misery.
-- Matthew Arnold