Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Anyone heard of a "tommy gage"?

replying to Grant Erwin, Rudy wrote:
grant wrote:

I bought a populated machinist's rollaway once. It has one drawer in which
live a set of round "space blocks" which can be called gage blocks too.

These
are all the same diameter and have a central threaded hole. In that same
drawer are two identical tools. These were commercially made and they were
die-cast from pot metal and not finish machined at all. They are labeled'
"Tommy Gage" and at one end they say "GO" and at the other they say "NO

GO".
I'm a reasonably savvy guy but in the 5 or so years I've owned these I

still
haven't figured out how to use these. They are formed in 2 halves which are
threaded together with a knurled finger bolt. It seems you could somehow
clamp them together with a space block to get a go/no go gage, but I can't
figure out how.
Anyone know about these? I can post a picture if needed.
And yes, I've googled.
Grant Erwin
Kirkland, Washington

We use the TommyGage go no/go to hold pin gauges. We use pin gauges to
test the inside of an orifice used in an instrument for determining the
melt flow of plastic. The smaller pin gauge (go) must pass through the
inside of the orifice. The larger pin gauge (no go) should not pass
through the inside orifice. If it passes through the orifice is thown out.
The tolerances we use are from ASTM methods.

--
posted from
http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...ge-372534-.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

replying to Rudy, Navarro wrote:
Hi Rudy, you say you use the Tommy gage where can I buy these?

--
for full context, visit https://www.polytechforum.com/metalw...ge-372534-.htm