Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default New laser magazine

It's out today -- our new online magazine called _Shop Floor Lasers_.
If you're into anything involving laser-beam cutting, welding,
cladding, heat-treating, etc., you'll find it interesting. Otherwise,
you won't. d8-)

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/shop...4/index.php#/1

There is a good article about hybrid welding -- a combination of laser
and MIG. That was a nice job of writing and researching.

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/shop.../index.php#/20

I take no credit for this issue, by the way. I didn't write any of it.
I'm on the masthead, but I won't be involved until next year. This is
Abbe Miller's baby, and she's very good.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 05-Sep-14 8:09 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:
It's out today -- our new online magazine called _Shop Floor Lasers_.
If you're into anything involving laser-beam cutting, welding,
cladding, heat-treating, etc., you'll find it interesting. Otherwise,
you won't. d8-)

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/shop...4/index.php#/1

There is a good article about hybrid welding -- a combination of laser
and MIG. That was a nice job of writing and researching.

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/shop.../index.php#/20

I take no credit for this issue, by the way. I didn't write any of it.
I'm on the masthead, but I won't be involved until next year. This is
Abbe Miller's baby, and she's very good.

Looks like it might have some interesting articles but I gave up after a
minute or two trying to drive that godawful viewer / webpage.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 05 Sep 2014 10:31:14 +0800, Shed_Fiddler
wrote:

On 05-Sep-14 8:09 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:
It's out today -- our new online magazine called _Shop Floor Lasers_.
If you're into anything involving laser-beam cutting, welding,
cladding, heat-treating, etc., you'll find it interesting. Otherwise,
you won't. d8-)

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/shop...4/index.php#/1

There is a good article about hybrid welding -- a combination of laser
and MIG. That was a nice job of writing and researching.

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/shop.../index.php#/20

I take no credit for this issue, by the way. I didn't write any of it.
I'm on the masthead, but I won't be involved until next year. This is
Abbe Miller's baby, and she's very good.

Looks like it might have some interesting articles but I gave up after a
minute or two trying to drive that godawful viewer / webpage.

I hit the right arrow key and it changed pages in under one second
flat. shrug Nice, clean, clear pics and text. ???

--
Let no man imagine that he has no influence. Whoever he may be, and
wherever he may be placed, the man who thinks becomes a light and a power.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 05-Sep-14 8:09 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:
It's out today -- our new online magazine called _Shop Floor Lasers_.
If you're into anything involving laser-beam cutting, welding,
cladding, heat-treating, etc., you'll find it interesting. Otherwise,
you won't. d8-)

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/shop...4/index.php#/1

There is a good article about hybrid welding -- a combination of laser
and MIG. That was a nice job of writing and researching.

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/shop.../index.php#/20

I take no credit for this issue, by the way. I didn't write any of it.
I'm on the masthead, but I won't be involved until next year. This is
Abbe Miller's baby, and she's very good.

Looks like it might have some interesting articles but I gave up after a
minute or two trying to drive that godawful viewer / webpage.

Sorry to hear that. Most people find the Nxtbook reader to be fast as
a streak. On my computer, I can flip through ten pages in less than
four seconds.

I've hated those types of readers for years, and I still hate some of
them, but this one really seems to have gotten it right.

BTW, if you want to see the issue as a PDF, one of the stupid icons at
the top is a "save to your desktop" function (just mouse over them;
they're explained). It opens a page with a few options, the last of
which is to save as PDF.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"The kid" spent two years as lead in the laser department.

His company is replacing one of the lasers and just picked a small
group of engineers and shop leads to select which equipment. Their
budget is $600K so they might get a fairly good one.

Anyway, I'll send the magazine link to them. just the kind of
subscribers you are after.

FWIW, the old laser is for sale. A REAL DEAL as they refurbed it, ran
it for a year, and now need more capacity. It will go for scrap weight
price.

"The kid" wants me to buy it. but the unit takes 600 square feet and
weighs 40K lbs. Iggy territory. A smart guy could part out the
handling system to get the size down and have a $100,000 laser for
peanuts.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 05 Sep 2014 05:45:35 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

"The kid" spent two years as lead in the laser department.

His company is replacing one of the lasers and just picked a small
group of engineers and shop leads to select which equipment. Their
budget is $600K so they might get a fairly good one.

Anyway, I'll send the magazine link to them. just the kind of
subscribers you are after.

Hey, that's great. Thanks, Karl.

BTW, we're still covering lasers at FAB Shop, too. As I said in my
August editorial, there's just too much going on with lasers right now
for us to stuff it all into FAB Shop:

http://www.fsmdirect.com/

Abbe and I have to figure out how we're going to divide the coverage.

FWIW, the old laser is for sale. A REAL DEAL as they refurbed it, ran
it for a year, and now need more capacity. It will go for scrap weight
price.

"The kid" wants me to buy it. but the unit takes 600 square feet and
weighs 40K lbs. Iggy territory. A smart guy could part out the
handling system to get the size down and have a $100,000 laser for
peanuts.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Thanks Ed - the pdf version is good.

Probably just my personal viewing preferences.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

You're not alone. g The online readers have been one of the biggest
hangups for online publishing. When I'm editing, I work in Acrobat, so
I deal with both. My preference for just reading it has switched from
Acrobat, which is good for reading but which may be the world's worst
text-editing program, to Nxtbook.

I hope you find some things in this issue that make it worth the
effort. Please let me know, frankly, what you think.

--
Ed Huntress