Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Who supplies mechanical prototyping kits?

On Saturday, October 17, 1998 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Fri, 16 Oct 1998 22:17:20 -0700, "
wrote:

www.smallparts.com does not have a DNS entry....

YES, they do. Whenever you get a "no DNS entry" error, it's often cuz
the DNS server is down at YOUR isp's site. I'm sure you'll not make this
mistake again B), but whenever this happens, it's always prudent to try
it again, or better yet, go about some other business and return a few
minutes later to try again.

Garfield

BTW, in addition to PIC & SmallParts, Reid, Sterling, and Berg also have
nice small parts/proto parts lines and catalogs:
W.M. Berg www.wmberg.com
Sterling (Stock Drive Products Div.) www.sdp-si.com
Reid Tool www.reidtool.com
Oh, and I've double-clicks on all the links above and confirmed they ARE
typed in correctly.

If you're looking for gears and pulleys then www.sdp-si.com is probably going to be your best source. If you need some sort of structure or platform then www.gridlinksinc.com is the easiest I've found.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

================================================== =====================================

smallparts is no more, they were bought by Amazon and are now part of
www.amazonsupply.com, but apparently they dropped lots of the rare little
bits that made smallparts so useful, sigh.

-----
Regards,
Carl Ijames

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Sigh! Yep they bought Small Parts and did what every big company does.
Killed off everything without a high enough turn rate. Even the size
stainless alignment pins I use most for making molds. They don't understand
that some customers come back to a business because they have what they
want. I had the hardest time teaching that to business professors in
college. They were all absolutists when it came to turn rate. Not a single
one understood that if you don't have what a customer NEEDs they will go
someplace that has it, and buy everything else there too. I think its one
reason I still buy from McMaster. They actually HAVE stuff. Price isn't
always that great, but when I need it they have it.

We had a country hardware store and a country grocery store side by side
when I was growing up. We very much understood that if a farmer had to
drive to town for for the field bolts he needed for shear pins he was going
to buy his groceries in town while he was there too, and maybe that new
rifle he had been eyeing in our rack, and while he was there some jeans for
the kids. All stuff we had and probably would have sold him if we had the
50¢ bolt he needed when he needed it.

Prototyping board BartC UK diy 17 June 25th 13 11:24 AM
3-D prototyping printer? Bob Summers Metalworking 0 December 25th 09 05:09 AM
where can I go for prototyping? Shawn Wilson Electronics 13 November 25th 05 11:11 AM
Prototyping and short run [email protected] Metalworking 1 August 31st 05 10:21 PM
OT? Rapid Prototyping distracted Metalworking 0 June 29th 05 12:40 PM