Old June 20th 13, 08:28 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Prototyping board

I used to buy a prototyping board from RS in the 1980s. It was a bit like
veroboard: a single-sided pcb with a 0.1" grid of holes, but with individual
pads on the copper side instead of strips. (They might have been used for
wire-wrapping, but I used to solder to them. The non-copper side was blue.)

I can't seem to find them again. Anyone know what they might be called and
where I can buy them?

--
Bartc

Old June 20th 13, 08:46 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/06/2013 20:28, BartC wrote:
I used to buy a prototyping board from RS in the 1980s. It was a bit
like veroboard: a single-sided pcb with a 0.1" grid of holes, but with
individual pads on the copper side instead of strips. (They might have
been used for wire-wrapping, but I used to solder to them. The
non-copper side was blue.)

I can't seem to find them again. Anyone know what they might be called
and where I can buy them?

Some in the shed somewhere, might dig out an RS part number.

But, looking here, small bits are cheap (but not blue)

10pcs Universal DIY PCB Prototype Paper Matrix Circuit Board Stripboard
50x70mm
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350747230029

Key word is Matrix?

--
Adrian C

Old June 20th 13, 08:53 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

BartC laid this down on his screen :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_od...ect& _sacat=0

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Old June 20th 13, 08:53 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/06/2013 20:46, Adrian C wrote:
On 20/06/2013 20:28, BartC wrote:
I used to buy a prototyping board from RS in the 1980s. It was a bit
like veroboard: a single-sided pcb with a 0.1" grid of holes, but with
individual pads on the copper side instead of strips. (They might have
been used for wire-wrapping, but I used to solder to them. The
non-copper side was blue.)

I can't seem to find them again. Anyone know what they might be called
and where I can buy them?

Some in the shed somewhere, might dig out an RS part number.

But, looking here, small bits are cheap (but not blue)

10pcs Universal DIY PCB Prototype Paper Matrix Circuit Board Stripboard
50x70mm
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350747230029

Key word is Matrix?

Ah, having been to the shed...

Square Pad Board.

http://www.verotl.com/en/product/03-...uare+Pad+Board

--
Adrian C

Old June 20th 13, 09:56 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian C" wrote in message

On 20/06/2013 20:28, BartC wrote:
I used to buy a prototyping board from RS in the 1980s. It was a bit
like veroboard: a single-sided pcb with a 0.1" grid of holes, but with
individual pads on the copper side instead of strips.

Square Pad Board.

http://www.verotl.com/en/product/03-...uare+Pad+Board

Thanks. Those are very similar to what I used.

--
Bartc

Old June 20th 13, 10:58 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

BartC wrote:
I used to buy a prototyping board from RS in the 1980s. It was a bit like
veroboard: a single-sided pcb with a 0.1" grid of holes, but with individual
pads on the copper side instead of strips. (They might have been used for
wire-wrapping, but I used to solder to them. The non-copper side was blue.)

I can't seem to find them again. Anyone know what they might be called and
where I can buy them?

There's hundreds of different types. Have a poke through:
http://onecall.farnell.com/prototyping-boards
(that's the union of CPC and Farnell catalogues)
Look at both 'Prototype Board' and 'Pad-per-hole'

Theo
Old June 20th 13, 11:36 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
BartC wrote:
I used to buy a prototyping board from RS in the 1980s. It was a bit
like veroboard: a single-sided pcb with a 0.1" grid of holes, but with
individual pads on the copper side instead of strips. (They might have
been used for wire-wrapping, but I used to solder to them. The
non-copper side was blue.)

I can't seem to find them again. Anyone know what they might be called
and where I can buy them?

Never really saw the point of them over Vero. I suppose you could pack
things in more densely - but not usually a priority for prototypes.

--
*Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old June 20th 13, 11:51 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
Never really saw the point of them over Vero. I suppose you could pack
things in more densely - but not usually a priority for prototypes.

You can use things that aren't DIL - PGAs, PLCCs, connectors etc. You also aren't
governed by the strip layout. It's better for high speed stuff.

These days I sometimes use similar but it's all surface mount - strips would
be hopeless for that. Haven't used a DIL chip for years.

Theo
Old June 21st 13, 12:32 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
BartC wrote:
I used to buy a prototyping board from RS in the 1980s. It was a bit
like veroboard: a single-sided pcb with a 0.1" grid of holes, but with
individual pads on the copper side instead of strips. (They might have
been used for wire-wrapping, but I used to solder to them. The
non-copper side was blue.)

Never really saw the point of them over Vero. I suppose you could pack
things in more densely - but not usually a priority for prototypes.

I did use to have quite dense layouts (over 100 ICs on one board for
example). But I liked the 100% flexibility of placement without worrying
about conforming to the strip layout, or having to cut loads of copper
strips to avoid shorts. Also my wiring was on the underside (where it was
easy to solder several thin wires to the same pad) rather than on the
component side where you might need a hole for each wire.

--
Bartc

Old June 21st 13, 07:33 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes there was also something similar with no holes called rather
disgustingly blob board as I recall, you either drilled holes where you
wanted them or simply built it on the foil side. I never did figure out how
they bonded the copper to the glass fibre so well.
Brian

Email: