Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Pipe cutting wheels

I have a couple of Ridgid pipe cutters. They are fine for many cuts in
copper but when cutting thin brass conduits even a slightly blunt
cutting wheel causes problems.

Replacement wheels cost $10+ here.

Questions:
1) Has anybody tried sharpening them? I had a go with a diamond hone
while clamping the wheel on its mandrel in a lathe. The jury is out on
the result.

2) There are at least two kinds of wheels: Copper and stainless steel.
What is the difference? Would the stainless steel cutter be better for
the thin-walled brass conduit? Will the stainless steel cutter cut
copper but not vice versa?

I should mention that I use the cutters to cut rings of various
diameters in copper and brass which means quite a few cuts and
consequent expense if the wheels have to be replaced frequently.

Thanks,

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Cutting 110 mm PVC pipe asalcedo UK diy 20 October 31st 11 07:52 PM
Pipe cutting [email protected] UK diy 7 November 12th 07 10:52 PM
Installing pipe boots on roof. was cutting cast iron pipe in attic Mikepier Home Repair 4 September 27th 07 01:37 AM
Where can I get replacement cutting wheels for copper tubing cutters [email protected] Home Repair 4 May 16th 07 06:13 PM
Help with small cutting wheels [email protected] Metalworking 2 March 31st 06 03:07 PM