Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] mkoblic@gmail.com is offline

Default Pipe cutting wheels

I have a couple of Ridgid pipe cutters. They are fine for many cuts in
copper but when cutting thin brass conduits even a slightly blunt
cutting wheel causes problems.

Replacement wheels cost $10+ here.

Questions:
1) Has anybody tried sharpening them? I had a go with a diamond hone
while clamping the wheel on its mandrel in a lathe. The jury is out on
the result.

2) There are at least two kinds of wheels: Copper and stainless steel.
What is the difference? Would the stainless steel cutter be better for
the thin-walled brass conduit? Will the stainless steel cutter cut
copper but not vice versa?

I should mention that I use the cutters to cut rings of various
diameters in copper and brass which means quite a few cuts and
consequent expense if the wheels have to be replaced frequently.

Thanks,

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC