Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default when you buy plumbing parts at HD

when you buy plumbing parts at HD, make sure to LOOK at them. I just finished a plumbing job today that would have been done yesterday if someone at HD hadn't screwed with the parts. I had a 1 1/2" PVC union that was MISSING THE O RING.

The guy in the plumbing dept this morning told me to buy a new one, take out the O ring and then return the union. All well and good, but then it will just end up back on the shelf and the same thing will happen to someone else. Sucks pretty much.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, June 16, 2014 8:51:01 AM UTC-7, rangerssuck wrote:
when you buy plumbing parts at HD, make sure to LOOK at them. I just finished a plumbing job today that would have been done yesterday if someone at HD hadn't screwed with the parts. I had a 1 1/2" PVC union that was MISSING THE O RING.

The guy in the plumbing dept this morning told me to buy a new one, take out the O ring and then return the union. All well and good, but then it will just end up back on the shelf and the same thing will happen to someone else. Sucks pretty much.

It doesn't end up back on the shelf if you tell the person at returns that it's missing an O ring and make them tag it as defective merchandise not to be resold.

Suggest in the future that you buy plumbing supplies from a real plumbing supply store even if they are slightly more expensive as you will be supporting a local business who probably gives superior advice and service.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, June 16, 2014 12:16:33 PM UTC-4, jon_banquer wrote:
[...]

Show me a plumbing supplier who's open on Sunday (or even Saturday afternoon), and I'll be glad to go there.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, June 16, 2014 11:27:21 AM UTC-7, rangerssuck wrote:
[...]

If you want professional help and quality parts then it's on you to rearrange you schedule. If you can't rearrange your schedule and recognize that people deserve their time off then you might as well get use to the **** quality/help that one most often gets at Home Depot.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, June 16, 2014 2:45:17 PM UTC-4, jon_banquer wrote:
[...]

What the **** is wrong with you Jon? I don't need any professional help buying a few PVC fittings. I need the goddamn union to come complete with o-ring. FWIW, I do buy from a plumbing supplier (who is NOT open weekends), and I have twice had to return defective parts.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

rangerssuck fired this volley in news:1fd5451a-
:

What the **** is wrong with you Jon?

Oh, we ALL wonder _that_.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, June 17, 2014 4:30:44 AM UTC-7, rangerssuck wrote:
[...]

Suggest you stop looking for sympathy with you whining, bull****, posts about lousy Home Depot plumbing supplies. If you're stupid enough to try and buy quality plumbing supplies at Home Depot you deserve what you get.

You're a moron with no clues. Now **** down and STFU.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

The overall concept of the big box store is rotten. That's what happens with the large non-unionized corporate structure. Secrecy and too much else is left to chance and is too rampant throughout and the customer is left wondering why the result is so screwed-up. The workers have to all be on the same page. Then the surroundings follow.

Having these big box stores come to a community results in shutting down stores that were already there. Then the younger generations there wonder: "Why even stay? Everythings closed down, but the Walmart and Home Depot". Nothing is here any more except a Walmart and an Home Depot (or a Lowes).

Then, those two go out of business because too few people are even left in the town.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, June 21, 2014 8:12:29 AM UTC-7, wrote:

The overall concept of the big box store is rotten. That's what happens with the large non-unionized corporate structure. Secrecy and too much else is left to chance and is too rampant throughout and the customer is left wondering why the result is so screwed-up. The workers have to all be on the same page. Then the surroundings follow.

Having these big box stores come to a community results in shutting down stores that were already there. Then the younger generations there wonder: "Why even stay? Everythings closed down, but the Walmart and Home Depot". Nothing is here any more except a Walmart and an Home Depot (or a Lowes).

Then, those two go out of business because too few people are even left in the town.

Examples of plumbing supplies stores that complete with big box stores like Home Depot and Lowes and win:

http://www.benderplumbing.com/

http://www.whitesplumbing.com/about.html

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, June 16, 2014 2:27:21 PM UTC-4, rangerssuck wrote:

Suggest in the future that you buy plumbing supplies from a real plumbing supply store even if they are slightly more expensive as you will be supporting a local business who probably gives superior advice and service.

Show me a plumbing supplier who's open on Sunday (or even Saturday afternoon), and I'll be glad to go there.

A while back I made it a point to buy some pluming bit from a real plumbing supply store. I was surprised to find it was over twice as expensive as the same part at Lowes. Since I knew exactly what I wanted, I did not need the superior advice.

Since then I found out that Home Depot and Lowes gives me a 10% discount since I am a veteran.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
On Monday, June 16, 2014 2:27:21 PM UTC-4, rangerssuck wrote:

Suggest in the future that you buy plumbing supplies from a real
plumbing supply store even if they are slightly more expensive as you
will be supporting a local business who probably gives superior advice
and service.

Show me a plumbing supplier who's open on Sunday (or even Saturday
afternoon), and I'll be glad to go there.

A while back I made it a point to buy some pluming bit from a real
plumbing supply store. I was surprised to find it was over twice as
expensive as the same part at Lowes. Since I knew exactly what I wanted,
I did not need the superior advice.

Since then I found out that Home Depot and Lowes gives me a 10% discount
since I am a veteran.

Dan

Used to be if I planned it out I could drive all over town and get
everything I needed for a project. Not necessarily a plumbing project.
Then Home Depot opened up and they had a pretty good selection. I could get
95% of everything I needed at Home Depot, and the price was better on most
of it. Slowly other businesses started specializing even more and cutting
back selection in favor of only those things they could compete on or went
out of business completely. Over the last few years I have noticed Home
Depot has reduced their selection and started stocking cheaper lower quality
alternatives to many things they do stock.

Service has always been hit or miss at Home Depot. The old guys they hired
from the old businesses and hardware stores that closed their doors were
pretty good, but the failed contractors they hired for their various
departments failed as contractors for a reason.

Go to a Home Depot and ask for hardware cloth, or a knock out bushing, or a
basic wrench. Just for the hell of it ask ten people who work there. You
might find 2 or 3 who know what one or two each of those things are, but
find one who knows what all three are and where to find them in the store,
and they are probably an older grey haired person who used to work at
Harry's Hardware.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 06/16/2014 01:33 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:

Go to a Home Depot and ask for hardware cloth, or a knock out bushing,
or a basic wrench. Just for the hell of it ask ten people who work
there. You might find 2 or 3 who know what one or two each of those
things are, but find one who knows what all three are and where to find
them in the store, and they are probably an older grey haired person who
used to work at Harry's Hardware.

But each and every one of those ten people are going to come up and get
in your face insisting on "helping" you when you are minding your
business doing shopping. Being available to customers who need to ask a
question is one thing, but being a general nuisance is another.

I do realize that many of their customers need a hand holding, but for
the rest of us it can be downright annoying.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, June 16, 2014 4:33:27 PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:

Then Home Depot opened up and they had a pretty good selection. I could get

95% of everything I needed at Home Depot, and the price was better on most

of it. Slowly other businesses started specializing even more and cutting

back selection in favor of only those things they could compete on or went

out of business completely. Over the last few years I have noticed Home

Depot has reduced their selection and started stocking cheaper lower quality

alternatives to many things they do stock.

In the Seattle area there was a hardware chain called Eagle. Their motto was more of everything. And they did carry a lot of different items. They carried 20 plus hammers ( not counting sledge hammers ). Then Lowes bought them. Their motto is now "less of everything."
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message

[...]

That's what happens with the large non-unionized corporate structure. Secrecy is to rampant throughout the workforce and the customer is left wondering why the result is so screwed-up. The workers have to all be on the same page. Then the surroundings follow.

Having these big box stores come to a community results in shutting down stores that were already there. Then the younger generations wonders why even stay. Nothings there any more except a Walmart and an Home Depot (or a Lowes).

Then, those two go out of business because too few people are left in the town.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 16 Jun 2014 13:00:36 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Monday, June 16, 2014 2:27:21 PM UTC-4, rangerssuck wrote:

Suggest in the future that you buy plumbing supplies from a real plumbing supply store even if they are slightly more expensive as you will be supporting a local business who probably gives superior advice and service.

Show me a plumbing supplier who's open on Sunday (or even Saturday afternoon), and I'll be glad to go there.

A while back I made it a point to buy some pluming bit from a real plumbing supply store. I was surprised to find it was over twice as expensive as the same part at Lowes. Since I knew exactly what I wanted, I did not need the superior advice.

Since then I found out that Home Depot and Lowes gives me a 10% discount since I am a veteran.

Dan

I can get fittings cheaper at SOME plumbing supply stores than HD or
Lowes. Fergeson Supply (big chain store for plumbing bits) is one.

On the other hand..I pay attention to the actual items and have seen
the same makers marks on the same fittings in both places.. and nearly
all of the common stuff is made in India or China no matter where it
comes from.

I occasionally buy a truckload of black pipe and fittings to redo air
lines etc in machine shops

"Libertarianism IS fascism... Fascism is corporate government – a Libertarian’s wet dream"
Tala Brandeis
Owner at Tala Brandeis Associates"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Monday, June 16, 2014 2:27:21 PM UTC-4, rangerssuck wrote:

Suggest in the future that you buy plumbing supplies from a real plumbing supply store even if they are slightly more expensive as you will be supporting a local business who probably gives superior advice and service.

Show me a plumbing supplier who's open on Sunday (or even Saturday afternoon), and I'll be glad to go there.

A while back I made it a point to buy some pluming bit from a real plumbing supply store. I was surprised to find it was over twice as expensive as the same part at Lowes. Since I knew exactly what I wanted, I did not need the superior advice.

Since then I found out that Home Depot and Lowes gives me a 10% discount since I am a veteran.

Dan

Superior advice? I wish!

I have a new washing machine coming from HD. They do not come with
hoses. First "associate" advised me to buy a set of hoses for $23. I
went to look at them when a second "associate" told me not to buy them
as the company will not install them. He advised different hoses and
to buy them singly, $16 per hose. Could not explain why the price
difference (snotty "I only work here" response). Apparently the second
hose is made in Canada (web site says Taiwan but never mind) I had a
careful look at the hoses - no O-rings! This set bells off so I went
to another shop where they sold a different set of hoses, specifically
designed ("required") for HE machines - price a bit less than $30 for
a set. This HE business was not even discussed in HD. At least these
have O-rings. Now I am really twitchy and go to the local specialist
plumber store - they will know! There I was shown a single hose which
they apparently sell to everybody. Any enquiries re-previously
mentioned subjects were met with blank stare. Cost per hose - $16
(with O-rings :-)

Right now I am consulting an Ouija board...

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Why not try an appliance parts repair place?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

While you're at it, I suggest you consider installing something like this: http://goo.gl/6e6SwY Even the best hoses don't last forever. This thing will shut off the water when the washer is not in use.

And now a big box vs local guy story:

At the end of a kitchen remodel, all that I needed to finish the plumbing was a dishwasher supply hose. I couldn't face yet another trip to Home Depot (a newer store that had an excellent knowledgeable and helpful guy in the plumbing dept), so I went to a local old-time hardware store. These guys had been there for close to a hundred years and had a big store and this was just a simple hose... so I went there armed with the shutoff valve I was connecting to and with the water inlet valve from the dishwasher, just so there'd be no confusion in terminology.

First the two guys there told me they didn't have anything like that. Then I looked at the shelf that had such things, and they did have something pretty close, but a bit short. Then they said they maybe had something, but it wouldn't fit the elbow on the inlet valve. I told them I didn't really need the elbow, there's plenty of room in the area and I could attach whatever combination of fittings it would take to make whatever long-enough hose they had. I asked for a couple of wrenches to remove the elbow so we could piece something together to test.

The SOB said, "We don't have any wrenches you can use." Mind you, this was a full-sized hardware store, not a plumbing supplier, and they had dozens of wrenches for sale of every shape and size. And then, believe it or not, the asshole offered to SELL me a wrench. By this time, I was so tired, I just didn't have the strength to grab the nearest hammer and pound him into bloody mush.

Then, one of the guys goes into "the back room" and comes out, a minute or so later, with a blister-packed pegboard-ready card with exactly the hose I needed, and it was clearly labeled, "Dishwasher Inlet Hose."

That was my last trip to that store. Within a year, they were out of business. It's too bad that they let an almost hundred year old shop go all to hell like that, but they most certainly did it to themselves.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Here is the end of the story: The machine arrived today *with* the
full complement of hoses. So neither of the associates knew their
product.

Fortunately I can take the others back for a full refund.

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

rangerssuck wrote:
when you buy plumbing parts at HD, make sure to LOOK at them. I just finished a plumbing job today that would have been done yesterday if someone at HD hadn't screwed with the parts. I had a 1 1/2" PVC union that was MISSING THE O RING.

I do a double takes when getting plumbing parts from HD. The "quality" of
some of the basic iron fittings is apalling. If the Chinese and Indians
actually reject these things, I'm sure HD buys them all up.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

rangerssuck wrote:

when you buy plumbing parts at HD, make sure to LOOK at them. I just finished a plumbing job today that would have been done yesterday if someone at HD hadn't screwed with the parts. I had a 1 1/2" PVC union that was MISSING THE O RING.

The guy in the plumbing dept this morning told me to buy a new one, take out the O ring and then return the union. All well and good, but then it will just end up back on the shelf and the same thing will happen to someone else. Sucks pretty much.

You have to check everything. The previous guy got shorted and just visited and took the
o-ring out of yours.

I detest having to be the quality assurance inspector.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

First of all, I've always tried to avoid big box for plumbing supplies simply because they will always be out of something you need, and if time is money, you end up blowing the savings on second or third trip somewhere else.

I am now in Germany where we had basically five big box hardware chains. Now we have two. All of the little stores where you can get specialized stuff are long gone. Need a fine thread 10mm nut? You can forget it. Go to OBI (the German HD) for a few plumbing washers? You'll need to buy an assortment bag for ten bucks which maybe has two rings in it which are of any use to anyone. I once told a cashier "if this little bag is really worth ten bucks, then a car tire would cost more than a car."

But, Horror vacui (nature abhors a vacuum). Because of the market conditions, thousands of little Ebay stores have popped up providing us with what we need, and at reasonable prices. I now rarely go out to get things made of metal or plastic. The postman brings it to me. You guys have McMaster, which is great (no equivalent in Germany), but the model is still rather specialized. Partly, I suppose, because of high shipping costs, slowness, and unreliability of shipping in the US, and don't exclude car culture. I have plenty of friends who don't even drive.

When planning your next project, whatever it is, consider ordering all of the parts online. You need to plan a bit more carefully, but you might save some money, and especially lot's of time!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 30 Jun 2014 04:22:46 -0700 (PDT), robobass
wrote:

[...]

Over here in Canuk Land I find I can USUALLY buy locally for less
than online.

Case in point - I wanted a pair of "Cocoon" wear-over sun glasses.
Best online price, not including shipping, was $5 more than I could
buy them from local optician - with NO shipping. (Paid $35.00)

There are some things I just plain cannot buy locally - which I DO buy
online. Generally electronic parts or specialty bits. Auto parts I
can most often buy from the DEALER for less than online (things like
the step-plates for my 1996 Ford Ranger - dealer cost HALF what they
would cost online or from LMC.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, June 30, 2014 5:57:36 PM UTC+2, Clare wrote:
On Mon, 30 Jun 2014 04:22:46 -0700 (PDT), robobass

Over here in Canuk Land I find I can USUALLY buy locally for less

than online.

Case in point - I wanted a pair of "Cocoon" wear-over sun glasses.

Best online price, not including shipping, was $5 more than I could

buy them from local optician - with NO shipping. (Paid $35.00)

There are some things I just plain cannot buy locally - which I DO buy

online. Generally electronic parts or specialty bits. Auto parts I

can most often buy from the DEALER for less than online (things like

the step-plates for my 1996 Ford Ranger - dealer cost HALF what they

would cost online or from LMC.

Yes. What you can get online depends a lot on where you live. I think that in North America there are factors which make it slower to catch on, but I'm surprised to hear that you can get auto parts cheaper at the dealer. Not at all the case here, at least for my Alfa Romeo. In Germany there are maybe two major factors. First, we have fast and cheap shipping - I suppose that's partly down to shorter transit distances. And, a total lack of retail options. The retailers here seem bent on reducing choice to the bare minimum, and just don't seem to be trying to compete. "You want this toilet in gray? Well, let's see...I can get it for you in a month". I go online and can have it in two days and pay less. Car parts? There are nine million listings on German Ebay. 34,000 just for my specific model and year.

Please find these plumbing parts... DerbyDad03 Home Repair 4 September 18th 09 04:31 AM
Plumbing Parts Availability Question .. .. .. No Name Home Repair 10 August 2nd 09 12:26 AM
Plumbing Parts Availability Question .. .. .. SMS Home Repair 2 July 30th 09 09:24 PM
plumbing parts Bob Home Repair 8 September 14th 05 09:12 PM
Price of Plumbing Parts H Home Repair 7 April 24th 05 02:07 PM