DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   when you buy plumbing parts at HD (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/371822-when-you-buy-plumbing-parts-hd.html)

RangersSuck June 16th 14 04:51 PM

when you buy plumbing parts at HD

when you buy plumbing parts at HD, make sure to LOOK at them. I just finished a plumbing job today that would have been done yesterday if someone at HD hadn't screwed with the parts. I had a 1 1/2" PVC union that was MISSING THE O RING.

The guy in the plumbing dept this morning told me to buy a new one, take out the O ring and then return the union. All well and good, but then it will just end up back on the shelf and the same thing will happen to someone else. Sucks pretty much.

jon_banquer[_2_] June 16th 14 05:16 PM

On Monday, June 16, 2014 8:51:01 AM UTC-7, rangerssuck wrote:
when you buy plumbing parts at HD, make sure to LOOK at them. I just finished a plumbing job today that would have been done yesterday if someone at HD hadn't screwed with the parts. I had a 1 1/2" PVC union that was MISSING THE O RING.

The guy in the plumbing dept this morning told me to buy a new one, take out the O ring and then return the union. All well and good, but then it will just end up back on the shelf and the same thing will happen to someone else. Sucks pretty much.

It doesn't end up back on the shelf if you tell the person at returns that it's missing an O ring and make them tag it as defective merchandise not to be resold.

Suggest in the future that you buy plumbing supplies from a real plumbing supply store even if they are slightly more expensive as you will be supporting a local business who probably gives superior advice and service.

Cydrome Leader June 16th 14 07:18 PM

rangerssuck wrote:
when you buy plumbing parts at HD, make sure to LOOK at them. I just finished a plumbing job today that would have been done yesterday if someone at HD hadn't screwed with the parts. I had a 1 1/2" PVC union that was MISSING THE O RING.

I do a double takes when getting plumbing parts from HD. The "quality" of
some of the basic iron fittings is apalling. If the Chinese and Indians
actually reject these things, I'm sure HD buys them all up.

RangersSuck June 16th 14 07:27 PM

On Monday, June 16, 2014 12:16:33 PM UTC-4, jon_banquer wrote:
[...]

Show me a plumbing supplier who's open on Sunday (or even Saturday afternoon), and I'll be glad to go there.

jon_banquer[_2_] June 16th 14 07:45 PM

On Monday, June 16, 2014 11:27:21 AM UTC-7, rangerssuck wrote:
[...]

If you want professional help and quality parts then it's on you to rearrange you schedule. If you can't rearrange your schedule and recognize that people deserve their time off then you might as well get use to the **** quality/help that one most often gets at Home Depot.

[email protected] June 16th 14 09:00 PM

On Monday, June 16, 2014 2:27:21 PM UTC-4, rangerssuck wrote:

Suggest in the future that you buy plumbing supplies from a real plumbing supply store even if they are slightly more expensive as you will be supporting a local business who probably gives superior advice and service.

Show me a plumbing supplier who's open on Sunday (or even Saturday afternoon), and I'll be glad to go there.

A while back I made it a point to buy some pluming bit from a real plumbing supply store. I was surprised to find it was over twice as expensive as the same part at Lowes. Since I knew exactly what I wanted, I did not need the superior advice.

Since then I found out that Home Depot and Lowes gives me a 10% discount since I am a veteran.

Dan

Bob La Londe[_7_] June 16th 14 09:33 PM

wrote in message
On Monday, June 16, 2014 2:27:21 PM UTC-4, rangerssuck wrote:

Suggest in the future that you buy plumbing supplies from a real
plumbing supply store even if they are slightly more expensive as you
will be supporting a local business who probably gives superior advice
and service.

Show me a plumbing supplier who's open on Sunday (or even Saturday
afternoon), and I'll be glad to go there.

A while back I made it a point to buy some pluming bit from a real
plumbing supply store. I was surprised to find it was over twice as
expensive as the same part at Lowes. Since I knew exactly what I wanted,
I did not need the superior advice.

Since then I found out that Home Depot and Lowes gives me a 10% discount
since I am a veteran.

Dan

Used to be if I planned it out I could drive all over town and get
everything I needed for a project. Not necessarily a plumbing project.
Then Home Depot opened up and they had a pretty good selection. I could get
95% of everything I needed at Home Depot, and the price was better on most
of it. Slowly other businesses started specializing even more and cutting
back selection in favor of only those things they could compete on or went
out of business completely. Over the last few years I have noticed Home
Depot has reduced their selection and started stocking cheaper lower quality
alternatives to many things they do stock.

Service has always been hit or miss at Home Depot. The old guys they hired
from the old businesses and hardware stores that closed their doors were
pretty good, but the failed contractors they hired for their various
departments failed as contractors for a reason.

Go to a Home Depot and ask for hardware cloth, or a knock out bushing, or a
basic wrench. Just for the hell of it ask ten people who work there. You
might find 2 or 3 who know what one or two each of those things are, but
find one who knows what all three are and where to find them in the store,
and they are probably an older grey haired person who used to work at
Harry's Hardware.

Jon Danniken[_7_] June 17th 14 12:22 AM

On 06/16/2014 01:33 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:

Go to a Home Depot and ask for hardware cloth, or a knock out bushing,
or a basic wrench. Just for the hell of it ask ten people who work
there. You might find 2 or 3 who know what one or two each of those
things are, but find one who knows what all three are and where to find
them in the store, and they are probably an older grey haired person who
used to work at Harry's Hardware.

But each and every one of those ten people are going to come up and get
in your face insisting on "helping" you when you are minding your
business doing shopping. Being available to customers who need to ask a
question is one thing, but being a general nuisance is another.

I do realize that many of their customers need a hand holding, but for
the rest of us it can be downright annoying.

Jon

[email protected] June 17th 14 12:33 AM

On Monday, June 16, 2014 4:33:27 PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:

Then Home Depot opened up and they had a pretty good selection. I could get

95% of everything I needed at Home Depot, and the price was better on most

of it. Slowly other businesses started specializing even more and cutting

back selection in favor of only those things they could compete on or went

out of business completely. Over the last few years I have noticed Home

Depot has reduced their selection and started stocking cheaper lower quality

alternatives to many things they do stock.

In the Seattle area there was a hardware chain called Eagle. Their motto was more of everything. And they did carry a lot of different items. They carried 20 plus hammers ( not counting sledge hammers ). Then Lowes bought them. Their motto is now "less of everything."

azotic[_4_] June 17th 14 02:00 AM

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
On 06/16/2014 01:33 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:

Go to a Home Depot and ask for hardware cloth, or a knock out bushing,
or a basic wrench. Just for the hell of it ask ten people who work
there. You might find 2 or 3 who know what one or two each of those
things are, but find one who knows what all three are and where to find
them in the store, and they are probably an older grey haired person who
used to work at Harry's Hardware.

But each and every one of those ten people are going to come up and get
in your face insisting on "helping" you when you are minding your
business doing shopping. Being available to customers who need to ask a
question is one thing, but being a general nuisance is another.

I do realize that many of their customers need a hand holding, but for
the rest of us it can be downright annoying.

Jon

They always seem to help me find a higher priced alternative that
will not work in my application.

Best Regards
Tom.
--
http://fija.org/

azotic[_4_] June 17th 14 02:15 AM

wrote in message
[...]

We have only one real hardware store in las vegas:

http://www.mcfaddendalehardware.com/

Same counter people for the 15 years of my patrionage. They even carry
acme threaded rod stock. Cash and carry, open to the public. The will sell
1 of anything you need. Prices comprable to enco and msc.

Best Regards
Tom.
--
http://fija.org/

Gunner Asch[_6_] June 17th 14 02:35 AM

when you buy plumbing parts at HD

On Mon, 16 Jun 2014 13:00:36 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Monday, June 16, 2014 2:27:21 PM UTC-4, rangerssuck wrote:

Suggest in the future that you buy plumbing supplies from a real plumbing supply store even if they are slightly more expensive as you will be supporting a local business who probably gives superior advice and service.

Show me a plumbing supplier who's open on Sunday (or even Saturday afternoon), and I'll be glad to go there.

A while back I made it a point to buy some pluming bit from a real plumbing supply store. I was surprised to find it was over twice as expensive as the same part at Lowes. Since I knew exactly what I wanted, I did not need the superior advice.

Since then I found out that Home Depot and Lowes gives me a 10% discount since I am a veteran.

Dan

I can get fittings cheaper at SOME plumbing supply stores than HD or
Lowes. Fergeson Supply (big chain store for plumbing bits) is one.

On the other hand..I pay attention to the actual items and have seen
the same makers marks on the same fittings in both places.. and nearly
all of the common stuff is made in India or China no matter where it
comes from.

I occasionally buy a truckload of black pipe and fittings to redo air
lines etc in machine shops

"Libertarianism IS fascism... Fascism is corporate government – a Libertarian’s wet dream"
Tala Brandeis
Owner at Tala Brandeis Associates"

Gunner Asch[_6_] June 17th 14 02:37 AM

when you buy plumbing parts at HD

On Mon, 16 Jun 2014 16:22:33 -0700, Jon Danniken
wrote:

On 06/16/2014 01:33 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:

Go to a Home Depot and ask for hardware cloth, or a knock out bushing,
or a basic wrench. Just for the hell of it ask ten people who work
there. You might find 2 or 3 who know what one or two each of those
things are, but find one who knows what all three are and where to find
them in the store, and they are probably an older grey haired person who
used to work at Harry's Hardware.

But each and every one of those ten people are going to come up and get
in your face insisting on "helping" you when you are minding your
business doing shopping. Being available to customers who need to ask a
question is one thing, but being a general nuisance is another.

I do realize that many of their customers need a hand holding, but for
the rest of us it can be downright annoying.

Jon

I have to HUNT for an employee at most HDs and many Lowes.

Gunner Asch[_6_] June 17th 14 02:54 AM

when you buy plumbing parts at HD

On Mon, 16 Jun 2014 18:15:27 -0700, "azotic"
wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

McFadden-Dale is in multiple places in So. Cal as well. Not as cheap
on many items as the big box stores..but they have virtually anything
one needs . In the 20 yrs Ive been going in there..they didnt have
(1) item I needed..and only because it was backordered

Gunner

RangersSuck June 17th 14 12:30 PM

What the **** is wrong with you Jon? I don't need any professional help buying a few PVC fittings. I need the goddamn union to come complete with o-ring. FWIW, I do buy from a plumbing supplier (who is NOT open weekends), and I have twice had to return defective parts.

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh[_3_] June 17th 14 01:12 PM

when you buy plumbing parts at HD

rangerssuck fired this volley in news:1fd5451a-
:

What the **** is wrong with you Jon?

Oh, we ALL wonder _that_.

jon_banquer[_2_] June 17th 14 03:05 PM

Suggest you stop looking for sympathy with you whining, bull****, posts about lousy Home Depot plumbing supplies. If you're stupid enough to try and buy quality plumbing supplies at Home Depot you deserve what you get.

You're a moron with no clues. Now **** down and STFU.

jon_banquer[_2_] June 17th 14 03:10 PM

On Tuesday, June 17, 2014 5:12:10 AM UTC-7, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
rangerssuck fired this volley in news:1fd5451a-

:

What the **** is wrong with you Jon?

Oh, we ALL wonder _that_.

Wrong again, Loud. You can only speak for yourself and often when you do speak for yourself you show that you stopped learning years ago.

Larry Jaques[_4_] June 17th 14 03:21 PM

when you buy plumbing parts at HD

On Tue, 17 Jun 2014 07:12:10 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

rangerssuck fired this volley in news:1fd5451a-
:

What the **** is wrong with you Jon?

Oh, we ALL wonder _that_.

About Suck? Yeah.

--
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

--Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

[email protected] June 17th 14 11:06 PM

wrote:

On Monday, June 16, 2014 2:27:21 PM UTC-4, rangerssuck wrote:

Suggest in the future that you buy plumbing supplies from a real plumbing supply store even if they are slightly more expensive as you will be supporting a local business who probably gives superior advice and service.

Show me a plumbing supplier who's open on Sunday (or even Saturday afternoon), and I'll be glad to go there.

A while back I made it a point to buy some pluming bit from a real plumbing supply store. I was surprised to find it was over twice as expensive as the same part at Lowes. Since I knew exactly what I wanted, I did not need the superior advice.

Since then I found out that Home Depot and Lowes gives me a 10% discount since I am a veteran.

Dan

Superior advice? I wish!

I have a new washing machine coming from HD. They do not come with
hoses. First "associate" advised me to buy a set of hoses for $23. I
went to look at them when a second "associate" told me not to buy them
as the company will not install them. He advised different hoses and
to buy them singly, $16 per hose. Could not explain why the price
difference (snotty "I only work here" response). Apparently the second
hose is made in Canada (web site says Taiwan but never mind) I had a
careful look at the hoses - no O-rings! This set bells off so I went
to another shop where they sold a different set of hoses, specifically
designed ("required") for HE machines - price a bit less than $30 for
a set. This HE business was not even discussed in HD. At least these
have O-rings. Now I am really twitchy and go to the local specialist
plumber store - they will know! There I was shown a single hose which
they apparently sell to everybody. Any enquiries re-previously
mentioned subjects were met with blank stare. Cost per hose - $16
(with O-rings :-)

Right now I am consulting an Ouija board...

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

jon_banquer[_2_] June 17th 14 11:50 PM

wrote:

[...]

Why not try an appliance parts repair place?

RangersSuck June 18th 14 03:14 PM

On Tuesday, June 17, 2014 10:05:33 AM UTC-4, jon_banquer wrote:
[...]

The last thing I'm going to waste time on is a ****ing contest with you. Had I been able to go to a plumbing supply store, I would have. I don't think it would have been a very productive trip, however, as the store would have been closed for a day and a half. Instead, I picked up the rest of the materials for the job at HD, got it 99% done. Monday AM, I got the missing O ring and installed it. Took all of maybe a minute and a half to do, instead of waiting for next weekend.

As noted by another poster in this thread, many of the plumbing materials carried by HD and Lowes are THE SAME as those carried by the "to-the-trade-only" suppliers. I have gotten good stuff from both, and bad stuff from both (there seemed, about ten years ago, to be a rash of pinholes in brass castings) I have returned several defective parts to the plumbing supply store. I know that the fixture manufacturers - American Standard, Kohler, etc. - are at least rumored to sell lower quality items through the big box stores, but I have never heard anything like that (or noticed it myself) regarding actual plumbing hardware.

Furthermore, you can bet your ass that next time I buy a plumbing union for ANY supplier, I will take it apart on the spot to make sure that all the parts are there. At that, Jon, was the point of this entire thread. A cautionary tale that could maybe save someone a crapload of time and inconvenience.

And, Jon, I managed to pull of this entire job without any 3-D CAD/CAM or solid modeling, and without a single consultation with LinkedIn.

RangersSuck June 18th 14 03:34 PM

wrote:

[...]

While you're at it, I suggest you consider installing something like this: http://goo.gl/6e6SwY Even the best hoses don't last forever. This thing will shut off the water when the washer is not in use.

And now a big box vs local guy story:

At the end of a kitchen remodel, all that I needed to finish the plumbing was a dishwasher supply hose. I couldn't face yet another trip to Home Depot (a newer store that had an excellent knowledgeable and helpful guy in the plumbing dept), so I went to a local old-time hardware store. These guys had been there for close to a hundred years and had a big store and this was just a simple hose... so I went there armed with the shutoff valve I was connecting to and with the water inlet valve from the dishwasher, just so there'd be no confusion in terminology.

First the two guys there told me they didn't have anything like that. Then I looked at the shelf that had such things, and they did have something pretty close, but a bit short. Then they said they maybe had something, but it wouldn't fit the elbow on the inlet valve. I told them I didn't really need the elbow, there's plenty of room in the area and I could attach whatever combination of fittings it would take to make whatever long-enough hose they had. I asked for a couple of wrenches to remove the elbow so we could piece something together to test.

The SOB said, "We don't have any wrenches you can use." Mind you, this was a full-sized hardware store, not a plumbing supplier, and they had dozens of wrenches for sale of every shape and size. And then, believe it or not, the asshole offered to SELL me a wrench. By this time, I was so tired, I just didn't have the strength to grab the nearest hammer and pound him into bloody mush.

Then, one of the guys goes into "the back room" and comes out, a minute or so later, with a blister-packed pegboard-ready card with exactly the hose I needed, and it was clearly labeled, "Dishwasher Inlet Hose."

That was my last trip to that store. Within a year, they were out of business. It's too bad that they let an almost hundred year old shop go all to hell like that, but they most certainly did it to themselves.

jon_banquer[_2_] June 18th 14 03:36 PM

when you buy plumbing parts at HD

On Wednesday, June 18, 2014 7:14:11 AM UTC-7, rangerssuck wrote:

snipped a ton of bull**** and lame excuses from an anonymous posting pussy

"The last thing I'm going to waste time on is a ****ing contest with you."

You lied.

"As noted by another poster in this thread, many of the plumbing materials carried by HD and Lowes are THE SAME as those carried by the "to-the-trade-only" suppliers."

He's wrong and he's not shopping at a quality plumbing supply house.

Neither of you two idiots have any idea what a quality plumbing supply house is and why it's worth paying a little more.

David R. Birch June 18th 14 10:27 PM

On 6/18/2014 9:14 AM, rangerssuck wrote:
[...]

You have far more patience than me, I plonked Jon the Clueless long ago.
The only time I run across him is in threads where he still is acknowledged.

David

jon_banquer[_2_] June 18th 14 10:51 PM

On Wednesday, June 18, 2014 2:27:46 PM UTC-7, David R. Birch wrote:
[...]

You plonked me because I and several others called you out the misinformation you posted in regards to SolidWorks.

Should I find the thread to refresh your memory? :)

Tom Gardner[_6_] June 20th 14 02:58 PM

when you buy plumbing parts at HD

rangerssuck fired this volley in news:1fd5451a-
:

What the **** is wrong with you Jon?

Oh, we ALL wonder _that_.

No wondering, we KNOW! That's why we don't feed him.

jon_banquer[_2_] June 20th 14 04:39 PM

when you buy plumbing parts at HD

On Friday, June 20, 2014 6:57:46 AM UTC-7, Tom Gardner wrote:

Why feed the troll?

Why feed a fat, drunken, liar who inherited his business from his parents and has run it into the ground:

http://neme-s.org/Oshkosh_2007/Ohio_Brush/DSC02534.JPG

http://neme-s.org/Oshkosh_2007/Ohio_Brush/DSC02543.JPG

http://neme-s.org/Oshkosh_2007/Ohio_Brush/DSC02519.JPG

jon_banquer[_2_] June 20th 14 04:41 PM

On Friday, June 20, 2014 6:58:51 AM UTC-7, Tom Gardner wrote:

rangerssuck fired this volley in news:1fd5451a-

:

What the **** is wrong with you Jon?

Oh, we ALL wonder _that_.

No wondering, we KNOW! That's why we don't feed him.

Looks to me like all Tom Gardner does is feed himself:

[email protected] June 21st 14 12:14 AM

when you buy plumbing parts at HD

On Wed, 18 Jun 2014 07:34:08 -0700 (PDT), rangerssuck
wrote:

snip

[...]

Thanks, I will look into that gizmo. Your story - sadly not that
uncommon...

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

[email protected] June 21st 14 04:03 PM

wrote in message

[...]

That's what happens with the large non-unionized corporate structure. Secrecy is to rampant throughout the workforce and the customer is left wondering why the result is so screwed-up. The workers have to all be on the same page. Then the surroundings follow.

Having these big box stores come to a community results in shutting down stores that were already there. Then the younger generations wonders why even stay. Nothings there any more except a Walmart and an Home Depot (or a Lowes).

Then, those two go out of business because too few people are left in the town.

[email protected] June 21st 14 04:12 PM

[...]

The overall concept of the big box store is rotten. That's what happens with the large non-unionized corporate structure. Secrecy and too much else is left to chance and is too rampant throughout and the customer is left wondering why the result is so screwed-up. The workers have to all be on the same page. Then the surroundings follow.

Having these big box stores come to a community results in shutting down stores that were already there. Then the younger generations there wonder: "Why even stay? Everythings closed down, but the Walmart and Home Depot". Nothing is here any more except a Walmart and an Home Depot (or a Lowes).

Then, those two go out of business because too few people are even left in the town.

[email protected] June 21st 14 04:18 PM

wrote:

[...]

Its tough to see one-size-fits-all stores (like 99 cent stores with newer cheaper imports) come along and run the experienced workers in specialty hardware outfits right out of town.

All over cheaper costs. I wonder if or when HD and Lowe's will come up with a fancy 99 cents aisle.

jon_banquer[_2_] June 21st 14 04:36 PM

On Saturday, June 21, 2014 8:12:29 AM UTC-7, wrote:

The overall concept of the big box store is rotten. That's what happens with the large non-unionized corporate structure. Secrecy and too much else is left to chance and is too rampant throughout and the customer is left wondering why the result is so screwed-up. The workers have to all be on the same page. Then the surroundings follow.

Having these big box stores come to a community results in shutting down stores that were already there. Then the younger generations there wonder: "Why even stay? Everythings closed down, but the Walmart and Home Depot". Nothing is here any more except a Walmart and an Home Depot (or a Lowes).

Then, those two go out of business because too few people are even left in the town.

Examples of plumbing supplies stores that complete with big box stores like Home Depot and Lowes and win:

http://www.benderplumbing.com/

http://www.whitesplumbing.com/about.html

Joe gwinn June 21st 14 06:07 PM

when you buy plumbing parts at HD

In article ,
wrote:

On Wed, 18 Jun 2014 07:34:08 -0700 (PDT), rangerssuck
wrote:

snip

[...]

This really does not make sense.

Old-time hardware men are neither stupid nor obtuse. My instinct is
that the help at that hardware store hated the owner, and were all
trying to destroy the store. And succeeded.

I've seen this happen to restaurants - when the owner was away, the
kitchen produced garbage and the waiters all took a break. It doesn't
take long - restaurants are fragile things. Back in the 1970s, I knew
a waitress who had worked at such a restaurant, and she was a willing
participant in the scheme, which succeeded. I never met the owner, but
he had to be a piece of work, even by restaurant-trade standards, to
have earned such enmity.

Joe Gwinn

RangersSuck June 21st 14 10:43 PM

when you buy plumbing parts at HD

On Saturday, June 21, 2014 1:07:18 PM UTC-4, Joe Gwinn wrote:
In article ,

wrote:

On Wed, 18 Jun 2014 07:34:08 -0700 (PDT), rangerssuck

wrote:

snip

[...]

No, it didn't make sense to me, either. I asked around, and believe it or not, these to imbeciles WERE the "new" owners. They bought it from the old guy without really knowing what they were doing.

It was pretty sad. There is another old-time hardware store a little further away, but they don't seem to understand that sometimes we need to buy stuff outside of their 9-6 hours.

[email protected] June 22nd 14 01:45 AM

[...]

Throw in a WallMart and it happens twice as fast.

[email protected] June 22nd 14 01:49 AM

On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 08:12:29 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

[...]

And it's really got nothing to do with "non-union" either. You don't
have to be a union shop to treat your employees with respect and pay a
decent wage.

[email protected] June 22nd 14 04:33 PM

On Saturday, June 21, 2014 11:36:57 AM UTC-4, jon_banquer wrote:
[...]

Yes, industry corporate giants don't ALWAYS do ALL of the winning.

Still, some wieldy industry giants are overall favored by those they affect, but you are right. There are always the few specialty stores that succeed.

However, most big box stores do remain where they are and they leave too few other reasonable options. Like big banks, they don't micromanage enough and their teams too often aren't on the same page. Especially with the rampant lack of collective bargaining outfits.

The more of these places that break up into smaller operations, the better.