Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Please find these plumbing parts...

I've searched a few plumbing sites, but couldn't find what I was
looking for. Maybe you guys that know the plumbing sites better than
me can help out.

I'm looking for either a 3 1/2" to 1 1/2" rubber expansion reducer for
a cast iron cleanout or a combination of a rubber plug and a PVC
reducer to fit the same. I need to run a 1 1/2" sink drain into the
reducer.

HD carries and 4" to 3" reducer plug and a PVC 3" to 1 1/2" reducer,
but my cleanout is 3 1/2".

The threads on the cleanout are shot so a cast iron plug only catches
the first thread or so. In addition, the bottom of the angled cleanout
is below the concrete slab so the large nut-shape rim of the cast iron
plug that my local parts store carries hits the floor before *any*
threads can catch.

I had a smaller (no large nut-shape rim) 1 piece cast iron reducer
that I had to break out to snake the drain and no one seems to carry a
matching part. I bought that reducer many years ago at the same store
I went to yesterday but they said that parts for 3 1/2" cast iron are
getting harder to find.

Due to the layout of the basement bathroom, extending the cleanout
further into the room with a combination of parts is not a viable
option, so I need something fairly compact.

Any advice would be very welcome.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
[...]

Please correct me if I have not understood correctly.

You have a 3.5" threaded connection because you removed the cleanout plug.
That would make this a cleanout adapter mounted in a 4" cast iron hub. That
is the only thing 3.5" that I have ever seen.

A PVC chevron plug would solve your clearance problem and the plastic might
thread where the metal won't but you want to adapt and install a 1.5" drain
line here.

The normal action here would be to remove the adapter body, clean the hub,
use a 4" donut rubber adapter and either install a new CO or convert to
pipe. That may not be possible for you because of your floor and getting to
it. If it were mine this is the route I would go. Half a day and a few
drill bits later it would be out of there.

Searching the web for a 3.5" male adapter the only thing I could find was
one made by Carlton for conduit. So you might find that at an electrical
supply house. I don't think the grey PVC meets plumbing code but then this
install does not either. If it works, it works.

I suggest you call a couple of real supply houses both in the plumbing and
electrical fields. This is not something you are going to find at the BORG.

If you want to I will call my local supply house. They will at least know
if the part is made in the plumbing field. They carry a lot of weird stuff.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 13, 1:32*pm, "Colbyt" wrote:
[...]

Please come visit *www.househomerepair.com

Replying in pieces...

"You have a 3.5" threaded connection because you removed the
cleanout plug. That would make this a cleanout adapter mounted in a 4"
cast iron hub. That is the only thing 3.5" that I have ever seen.'

OK...that's possible. I thought it was all one piece, but you could be
right.

"A PVC chevron plug would solve your clearance problem"

I searched 3 on-line plumbing supply sites and the keyword "chevron"
was not found at any of the sites.

This is the only direct hit on a Google search for "chevron plug" and
I'm pretty sure this isn't what I need:

http://www.beadcollector.net/galleries/Pages/6403.html

What is this "chevron plug" that you speak of?

"remove the adapter body, clean the hub, use a 4" donut rubber
adapter."

If what I have is what you described, this might be the way to go.
I'll have to take a closer look and see if there is a removable CO
adapter.

At the present time, the female portion of the CO is about 85 - 90%
above the slab, but the bottom portion is slightly "below grade" with
the slap contoured downward in the last 1/2" of so. That's why the 3
1/2" to 3" cast adapter that I tried can't screw into the CO very far
even if the threads were in good shape. The large nut-shaped rim hits
the floor. I barely got a thread to catch and I know it's not sealed
very well The original 3 1/2" to 1 1/2" cast iron adapter that I had
to cut out had no rim so it screwed in little farther.

"I suggest you call a couple of real supply houses ..."

I went to one of the oldest and best known plumbing supply houses in
the area. That is where I bought the 3 1/2" to 3"
cast adapter (with the large rim) and the 3" to 1 1/2" cast adapter
that I'm using now. I also believe that this same supply house is
where I bought the rimless 3 1/2" to 1 1/2" cast adapter 5 or so years
ago when I added the sink to the basement bathroom. I brought in what
I had cut out yesterday and they said they didn't carry it and that
parts for 3 1/2" cast iron are getting harder to find.

"If you want to I will call my local supply house.

Thanks for the offer. Can I email you a photo of the adapter that I
cut out? If I remove the -sblock- portion of your addy will that work?
Or can you email me and I'll reply?

Let me know, and thanks again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

The part you are searching for is called a Double Tapped Bushing. In your
case you are looking for a 3 1/2 x 1 1/2 Double Tapped Bushing.

They are still made and used in the petroleum and irrigation businesses.
Here is a link to one manufacturers line:
http://www.morbros.com/PDF/Fliers/184-f-01.pdf

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Would any of these work? What I was actually looking for was a rubber
freeze out plug, but in a larger size.

http://www.newmantools.com/cob/pipeplugs.htm
http://webstore.petersenresources.co...dleexpand.aspx
http://www.shawplugs.com/

Where to find Baumatic parts? R.P.McMurphy UK diy 3 October 25th 06 05:42 PM
Where to Find Info on Natural Gas Plumbing (?) tbl Home Repair 7 January 22nd 06 09:01 AM
plumbing parts Bob Home Repair 8 September 14th 05 10:12 PM
Price of Plumbing Parts H Home Repair 7 April 24th 05 03:07 PM
hard to find parts 458 Electronics Repair 3 October 26th 04 09:04 PM