Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Using JB Weld on a chair?

Greetings and salutations

After a dozen years or so, my desk chair has become hazardous. I
didn't know you could crack an eighth inch steel plate, just by
sitting on it. But - I managed, somehow. This is the plate which
mounts the connector from the stand up to the chair bottom. Mostly it
got the left-right stresses as I shift around reach for stuff, but I
knew there was a problem when I leaned forward, and it "leaned" with
me.

So, JB Weld. Advertised as being "able to fix anything but a
broken heart", how it is for handling the sort of stresses of a
twisting plate?

And how does it handle stress fractures and failure?

tschus
pyotr

It is either JB weld or I find someone with a welding kit. Or go hit
the yard sales, etc.
--
pyotr filipivich.
Discussing the decline in the US's tech edge, James Niccol once wrote
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, June 12, 2014 12:09:07 AM UTC-4, pyotr filipivich wrote:
Greetings and salutations

So, JB Weld. Advertised as being "able to fix anything but a

broken heart", how it is for handling the sort of stresses of a

twisting plate?

And how does it handle stress fractures and failure?

tschus

pyotr

You might have a chance if you use the J.B. Weld to glue another plate to the existing one. But I would probably use some bolts.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
[...]

http://www.jbweld.com/product/j-b-weld/
"Strength 3960 PSI"

Steel varies, 50,000 PSI is a good SWAG.

I'd use this to justify buying a 120V MIG welder and taking a night
class in how to weld, mostly to learn how to recognize and correct
mistakes since they aren't hard to use, but controlling molten metal
takes practice whether it's steel or solder. Mine repays its cost with
every rust hole repair on my vehicles.

-jsw, sitting in an office chair modified into a recliner.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12-Jun-14 12:09 PM, pyotr filipivich wrote:
[...]

Depending on the crack....

Drill a small hole to prevent the crack propagating further.

Drill a hole or 3 along the crack and put a 1/4" gutter bolt with a
washer either side in the holes. Might stop it flexing.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 11 Jun 2014 21:09:07 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

[...]

You have 2 choices.

1. Replace the chair.

2. Find someone to weld a support plate under the old one..or weld
beefed up "splints" on the cracks. Know anyone who can weld it for
you?

Ive had to do a number of those sorts of repairs over the years.

Gunner

"Libertarianism IS fascism... Fascism is corporate government – a Libertarian’s wet dream"
Tala Brandeis
Owner at Tala Brandeis Associates"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:
Greetings and salutations

After a dozen years or so, my desk chair has become hazardous. I
didn't know you could crack an eighth inch steel plate, just by
sitting on it. But - I managed, somehow. This is the plate which
mounts the connector from the stand up to the chair bottom. Mostly it
got the left-right stresses as I shift around reach for stuff, but I
knew there was a problem when I leaned forward, and it "leaned" with
me.

So, JB Weld. Advertised as being "able to fix anything but a
broken heart", how it is for handling the sort of stresses of a
twisting plate?

And how does it handle stress fractures and failure?

tschus
pyotr

It is either JB weld or I find someone with a welding kit. Or go hit
the yard sales, etc.

Weld it or toss it , JB ain't gonna hold . I had a chair like yours , the
plate at the top of the gas tube cracked in half - in fact that's why the
chair was tossed . Welded it a total of 3 times before other parts gave up ,
but I still have the black leather it was covered with . Might need it some
day !

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Greetings and salutations

After a dozen years or so, my desk chair has become hazardous. I
didn't know you could crack an eighth inch steel plate, just by
sitting on it. But - I managed, somehow. This is the plate which
mounts the connector from the stand up to the chair bottom. Mostly it
got the left-right stresses as I shift around reach for stuff, but I
knew there was a problem when I leaned forward, and it "leaned" with
me.

So, JB Weld. Advertised as being "able to fix anything but a
broken heart", how it is for handling the sort of stresses of a
twisting plate?

And how does it handle stress fractures and failure?

If you cracked an 1/8" steel plate, JB weld isn't going to do much
better. I would either fab up a replacement plate (if it is simple
enough), or weld it back together. 1/8" is in the range that you can
stick weld, and you can find used stick welders pretty cheap. When
you're done, you can deduct the cost of a new chair from the cost of the
stick welder for even more savings.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 12 Jun 2014 09:39:25 -0700, Jon Danniken

[...]

You beat me to it. Any stress that cracks steel plate will demolish a
glue joint. I like JB Weld and use it a lot, but I would not consider
it for this.

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

JB weld seems to have a tensile strength of about 4,000 PSI. Mild
steel has a tensile strength of 52,000 psi and a yield strength of
about 44,000 psi, depending on temper.

--
Cheers,

Jphn B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Greetings and salutations

After a dozen years or so, my desk chair has become hazardous. I
didn't know you could crack an eighth inch steel plate, just by
sitting on it. But - I managed, somehow. This is the plate which
mounts the connector from the stand up to the chair bottom. Mostly it
got the left-right stresses as I shift around reach for stuff, but I
knew there was a problem when I leaned forward, and it "leaned" with
me.

So, JB Weld. Advertised as being "able to fix anything but a
broken heart", how it is for handling the sort of stresses of a
twisting plate?

And how does it handle stress fractures and failure?

I wouldn't trust it in that application.

Geeze, Pete. It's steel, WELD IT! Take a 12-pack over to any welding
shop at 4:45pm and the guys will fight to take the job.
Piece of cake/duck soup.

--
It is characteristic of all deep human problems that they are
not to be approached without some humor and some bewilderment.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

It'll do the job - for 10 minutes, or a week.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I hace a cracked pintle hitch, should I repair it with JB weld?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus32163" wrote in
message news
I hace a cracked pintle hitch, should I repair it with JB weld?

Did you run out of duct tape?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-06-13, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Ignoramus32163" wrote in
message news
I hace a cracked pintle hitch, should I repair it with JB weld?

Did you run out of duct tape?

Duct tape did not help, I need something stronger, JB weld is on my
next-to-try list.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 12 Jun 2014 21:20:26 -0500, Ignoramus32163
wrote:

I hace a cracked pintle hitch, should I repair it with JB weld?

That or superglue, eh?

--
There is s no such thing as a hyphenated American who is
a good American.* The only man who is a good American is

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I hace a cracked pintle hitch, should I repair it with JB weld?

That or superglue, eh?

Try it on the toilet seat
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I hace a cracked pintle hitch, should I repair it with JB weld?

That or superglue, eh?

But only if you buy the Gel!!

"Libertarianism IS fascism... Fascism is corporate government – a Libertarian’s wet dream"
Tala Brandeis
Owner at Tala Brandeis Associates"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Thu, 12 Jun 2014 05:30:48 -0700
wrote:

[...]

A couple, but I have half the one guy's kit in my shed (the rest
is "in storage").
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques on Thu, 12 Jun 2014
18:11:10 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
wrote:

Greetings and salutations

After a dozen years or so, my desk chair has become hazardous. I
didn't know you could crack an eighth inch steel plate, just by
sitting on it. But - I managed, somehow. This is the plate which
mounts the connector from the stand up to the chair bottom. Mostly it
got the left-right stresses as I shift around reach for stuff, but I
knew there was a problem when I leaned forward, and it "leaned" with
me.

So, JB Weld. Advertised as being "able to fix anything but a
broken heart", how it is for handling the sort of stresses of a
twisting plate?

And how does it handle stress fractures and failure?

I wouldn't trust it in that application.

Geeze, Pete. It's steel, WELD IT! Take a 12-pack over to any welding
shop at 4:45pm and the guys will fight to take the job.

Does the quality of the beer have any bearing on the quality of
the weld?

Crap, if this had happened last month, I'd have taken it to the
weld shop on campus and had one of the students get some practice.

(Did that years ago in tech school when the saw blade "skewed" and
I needed the kerf refilled - in Aluminum.)

Piece of cake/duck soup.

--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Terry Coombs" on Thu, 12 Jun 2014 07:33:42 -0500

It is either JB weld or I find someone with a welding kit. Or go hit
the yard sales, etc.

Weld it or toss it , JB ain't gonna hold . I had a chair like yours , the
plate at the top of the gas tube cracked in half - in fact that's why the
chair was tossed . Welded it a total of 3 times before other parts gave up ,
but I still have the black leather it was covered with . Might need it some
day !

Good point. I figure that if I toss it, I'll probably salvage the
seat. The cat likes it, anyway.
--
pyotr filipivich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

John B. on Fri, 13 Jun 2014 06:33:18 +0700
wrote:

[...]

Soooo - JB Weld if I want to hold it together until the end of the
month. Otherwise, not really worth the effort.
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

You might be able to pop rivit a reinforcement in if you dont have
access to welding gear/people

But Id be using BIG pop rivets, not the tiny ones.

And Stainless steel ones would be better than aluminum pop rivets.

Gunner

"Libertarianism IS fascism... Fascism is corporate government – a Libertarian’s wet dream"
Tala Brandeis
Owner at Tala Brandeis Associates"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
John B. on Fri, 13 Jun 2014 06:33:18 +0700

JB weld seems to have a tensile strength of about 4,000 PSI. Mild
steel has a tensile strength of 52,000 psi and a yield strength of
about 44,000 psi, depending on temper.

Soooo - JB Weld if I want to hold it together until the end of the
month. Otherwise, not really worth the effort.
--
pyotr filipivich

Just pile up the glue 11 times thicker.
-?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

If you fix it on the 28th, 29th, or 30th of the month!!!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 12 Jun 2014 22:16:01 -0500, Ignoramus32163

On 2014-06-13, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Ignoramus32163" wrote in
message news
I hace a cracked pintle hitch, should I repair it with JB weld?

Did you run out of duct tape?

Duct tape did not help, I need something stronger, JB weld is on my
next-to-try list.

Just pull the base off and set the chair on 2 saw horses- - -

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message

Good point. I figure that if I toss it, I'll probably salvage the
seat. The cat likes it, anyway.
--
pyotr filipivich

You could hang it from the ceiling. Suspended chairs have interesting
dynamics. I made a hanging crescent moon like this that was fun to sit
on and swing around. Naturally it had to be thoroughly tested before
the actress sat on it.
http://www.naplesnews.com/photos/2007/mar/06/30065/

It somehow vanished after the show closed, but I did get to keep part
of the "Jackson Pollack" painting.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-06-13, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Ignoramus32163" wrote in
message news I hace a cracked pintle hitch, should I repair it with JB weld?

Did you run out of duct tape?

Duct tape did not help, I need something stronger, JB weld is on my
next-to-try list.

Just pull the base off and set the chair on 2 saw horses- - -

JB Weld will be fine when you make a lamp out of the pintle hitch and
a lunette ring. I have a collection of lamp base candidates, including
a Honda Accord camshaft.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 13 Jun 2014 08:07:54 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
.. .

Good point. I figure that if I toss it, I'll probably salvage the
seat. The cat likes it, anyway.
--
pyotr filipivich

You could hang it from the ceiling. Suspended chairs have interesting
dynamics. I made a hanging crescent moon like this that was fun to sit
on and swing around. Naturally it had to be thoroughly tested before
the actress sat on it.
http://www.naplesnews.com/photos/2007/mar/06/30065/

Hey, I thought Ernie was our only prop-maker on RCM.

It somehow vanished after the show closed, but I did get to keep part
of the "Jackson Pollack" painting.

Whatever for?

--
There is s no such thing as a hyphenated American who is
a good American.* The only man who is a good American is
the man who is an American and nothing else.* We are a
nation, not a hodge-podge of foreign nationalities.* We
are a people, and not a polyglot boarding house.
--Theodore Roosevelt
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

It absolutely does. Decent beer gets you a decent job. Rotgut gets
you thrown out.

Crap, if this had happened last month, I'd have taken it to the
weld shop on campus and had one of the students get some practice.

(Did that years ago in tech school when the saw blade "skewed" and
I needed the kerf refilled - in Aluminum.)

You found out that schools aren't the best places for high-quality
work, didja, Pete?

--
There is s no such thing as a hyphenated American who is
a good American.* The only man who is a good American is
the man who is an American and nothing else.* We are a
nation, not a hodge-podge of foreign nationalities.* We
are a people, and not a polyglot boarding house.
--Theodore Roosevelt
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

JBW for the first sitting. Just -don't- lean over.

--
There is s no such thing as a hyphenated American who is
a good American.* The only man who is a good American is
the man who is an American and nothing else.* We are a
nation, not a hodge-podge of foreign nationalities.* We
are a people, and not a polyglot boarding house.
--Theodore Roosevelt
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus32163"
On 2014-06-13, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Ignoramus32163" wrote in
message ...

I have a cracked pintle hitch, should I repair
it with JB weld?

Did you run out of duct tape?

Duct tape did not help, I need something
stronger, JB weld is on my
next-to-try list.

Try wrapping it with a copy of your ins. policy.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
. ..

Good point. I figure that if I toss it, I'll probably salvage the
seat. The cat likes it, anyway.
--
pyotr filipivich

You could hang it from the ceiling. Suspended chairs have
interesting
dynamics. I made a hanging crescent moon like this that was fun to
sit
on and swing around. Naturally it had to be thoroughly tested before
the actress sat on it.
http://www.naplesnews.com/photos/2007/mar/06/30065/

Hey, I thought Ernie was our only prop-maker on RCM.

It somehow vanished after the show closed, but I did get to keep
part
of the "Jackson Pollack" painting.

Whatever for?

It was a nearly lifesize imitation of "Convergence" so quartering it
didn't give up anything except its awkward original size.
http://www.jackson-pollock.org/convergence.jsp
"It was everything that America stood for all rapped up in a messy,
but deep package."

Painting it was more like a silly food fight. We restrained ourselves
to flinging quips instead of paint.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, June 11, 2014 9:09:07 PM UTC-7, pyotr filipivich wrote:
[...]

This is probably the dumbest thread I've seen posted to this group in quite sometime. That it was started by a Mark Wieber clique of idiot member in good standing should come as no surprise to anyone that's objective.

Can someone tell me why the OP is too ****ing lazy and too cheap to learn how to weld?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques on Fri, 13 Jun 2014
07:04:13 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

wrote:

[...]

I'll keep that in mind. (I also know that there is a difference
between "inexpensive" and "cheap".)

Crap, if this had happened last month, I'd have taken it to the
weld shop on campus and had one of the students get some practice.

(Did that years ago in tech school when the saw blade "skewed" and
I needed the kerf refilled - in Aluminum.)

You found out that schools aren't the best places for high-quality
work, didja, Pete?

Actually it was my saw blade, a thin slitting saw, which somehow
had gotten dull on one side. So the sharp side cut nicely, but the
other didn't - and it "skewed". I took it over to the guys in the
welding program shop, they filled in the kerf - rather nice job, too -
and I got a sharp blade for the second attempt. Had to mill off the
weld to flush with the face, but "I are Machinist!"

--
pyotr filipivich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I rest my case, with you proving it for me.

--
There is s no such thing as a hyphenated American who is
a good American.* The only man who is a good American is
the man who is an American and nothing else.* We are a
nation, not a hodge-podge of foreign nationalities.* We
are a people, and not a polyglot boarding house.
--Theodore Roosevelt
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Fri, 13 Jun 2014 00:24:01 -0700

wrote:

[...]

Hmmm, I got some regular old copper rivets, they might work.

Gunner

"Libertarianism IS fascism... Fascism is corporate government – a Libertarian’s wet dream"
Tala Brandeis
Owner at Tala Brandeis Associates"

--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

You want pure lead rivets. Super strong, like copper, but better.

--
Learning to ignore things is one of the great paths to inner peace.
-- Robert J. Sawyer
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques on Mon, 23 Jun 2014
06:31:52 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

wrote:

[...]

I don't think so. This chair is going to be out in the open.

Besides, I'm saving the lead for other purposes.
--
pyotr filipivich

OT? strut in desk chair or kitchen chair micky Home Repair 15 March 19th 14 04:50 AM
Need black leather cleaner for an Ikea chair (for fancy leather £200 chair), but Ikea don't deliver! spencer[_2_] UK diy 6 November 23rd 08 10:25 PM
I can not find a chair leg protector for this type of chair Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC Home Repair 8 July 7th 06 07:58 PM
JB Weld MOP CAP Metalworking 7 March 18th 06 04:49 PM
What makes a chair a chair? [email protected] Woodworking 5 February 12th 06 10:26 PM