Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default A little metalwork ...

Was involved in the fabrication of a drywall lift to hold my sheetrock up
.. Makes ceilings a snap . The brackets were made with the help of my vise
and a hammer . The pulley at the bottom below the winch was machined from 1
1/2" aluminum bar stock on my Wards PowrKraft lathe . The only materials
purchased for this project was the 2x4 lumber , everything else I had on
hand . It works absolutely swell .

http://s991.photobucket.com/user/Sna...?sort=3&page=1
--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/28/2014 12:21 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Was involved in the fabrication of a drywall lift to hold my sheetrock up
. Makes ceilings a snap . The brackets were made with the help of my vise
and a hammer . The pulley at the bottom below the winch was machined from 1
1/2" aluminum bar stock on my Wards PowrKraft lathe . The only materials
purchased for this project was the 2x4 lumber , everything else I had on
hand . It works absolutely swell .

http://s991.photobucket.com/user/Sna...?sort=3&page=1

Nice to have a few firing synapses!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Terry Coombs wrote:
Was involved in the fabrication of a drywall lift to hold my sheetrock up
. Makes ceilings a snap . The brackets were made with the help of my vise
and a hammer . The pulley at the bottom below the winch was machined from 1
1/2" aluminum bar stock on my Wards PowrKraft lathe . The only materials
purchased for this project was the 2x4 lumber , everything else I had on
hand . It works absolutely swell .

http://s991.photobucket.com/user/Sna...?sort=3&page=1

You have your priorities straight. I noticed an unfinished room,
unfinished wiring. BUT you have a muzzle loader already hanging on the
wall... NICE...

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 27 May 2014 23:21:28 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Was involved in the fabrication of a drywall lift to hold my sheetrock up
. Makes ceilings a snap . The brackets were made with the help of my vise
and a hammer . The pulley at the bottom below the winch was machined from 1
1/2" aluminum bar stock on my Wards PowrKraft lathe . The only materials
purchased for this project was the 2x4 lumber , everything else I had on
hand . It works absolutely swell .

http://s991.photobucket.com/user/Sna...?sort=3&page=1

Nicely done!

--

"
I was once told by a “gun safety” advocate back in the Nineties

I began to give him a reasoned answer and he
cut me off with an abrupt, “Give me the short answer.”

I thought for a moment and said, “If you try to take our firearms we will kill you.”"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve W. wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
Was involved in the fabrication of a drywall lift to hold my
sheetrock up . Makes ceilings a snap . The brackets were made with
the help of my vise and a hammer . The pulley at the bottom below
the winch was machined from 1 1/2" aluminum bar stock on my Wards
PowrKraft lathe . The only materials purchased for this project was
the 2x4 lumber , everything else I had on hand . It works absolutely
swell .
http://s991.photobucket.com/user/Sna...?sort=3&page=1

You have your priorities straight. I noticed an unfinished room,
unfinished wiring. BUT you have a muzzle loader already hanging on the
wall... NICE...

Thanks ! The wiring is the coax for the satellite feed . The muzzle loader
is for the hooved rats in my orchard - which is right outside the living
room window .
--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:
On 5/28/2014 12:21 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Was involved in the fabrication of a drywall lift to hold my
sheetrock up . Makes ceilings a snap . The brackets were made with
the help of my vise and a hammer . The pulley at the bottom below
the winch was machined from 1 1/2" aluminum bar stock on my Wards
PowrKraft lathe . The only materials purchased for this project was
the 2x4 lumber , everything else I had on hand . It works absolutely
swell .
http://s991.photobucket.com/user/Sna...?sort=3&page=1

Nice to have a few firing synapses!

Thanks , I got the idea from a guy who mentioned such a device existed ...
and hanging overhead 'rock is a bitch without something like this .

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 28 May 2014 07:17:28 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Tom Gardner wrote:
On 5/28/2014 12:21 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Was involved in the fabrication of a drywall lift to hold my
sheetrock up . Makes ceilings a snap . The brackets were made with
the help of my vise and a hammer . The pulley at the bottom below
the winch was machined from 1 1/2" aluminum bar stock on my Wards
PowrKraft lathe . The only materials purchased for this project was
the 2x4 lumber , everything else I had on hand . It works absolutely
swell .
http://s991.photobucket.com/user/Sna...?sort=3&page=1

Nice to have a few firing synapses!

Thanks , I got the idea from a guy who mentioned such a device existed ...
and hanging overhead 'rock is a bitch without something like this .

Absolutely! Have you ever used a real one, to compare yours to it?
They cost $200-600, depending on brand and country of manufacture.
Renting for $80/day, the rental agency makes a killing on them.
I'm lucky. I've never had to hang horizontal drywall.

--
....in order that a man may be happy, it is
necessary that he should not only be capable
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 28 May 2014 07:15:06 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Steve W. wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
Was involved in the fabrication of a drywall lift to hold my
sheetrock up . Makes ceilings a snap . The brackets were made with
the help of my vise and a hammer . The pulley at the bottom below
the winch was machined from 1 1/2" aluminum bar stock on my Wards
PowrKraft lathe . The only materials purchased for this project was
the 2x4 lumber , everything else I had on hand . It works absolutely
swell .
http://s991.photobucket.com/user/Sna...?sort=3&page=1

You have your priorities straight. I noticed an unfinished room,
unfinished wiring. BUT you have a muzzle loader already hanging on the
wall... NICE...

Thanks ! The wiring is the coax for the satellite feed . The muzzle loader
is for the hooved rats in my orchard - which is right outside the living
room window .

Do you dine on hooved rat after presenting the muzzleloader to them, I
hope? That's my idea of a nice, short hunt.

--
....in order that a man may be happy, it is
necessary that he should not only be capable
of his work, but a good judge of his work.
-- John Ruskin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques fired this volley in
:

Absolutely! Have you ever used a real one, to compare yours to it?
They cost $200-600, depending on brand and country of manufacture.
Renting for $80/day, the rental agency makes a killing on them.
I'm lucky. I've never had to hang horizontal drywall.

I got very lucky. I built my house, and did all the rock -- 2700 square
feet of it!

Northern kept advertising their drywall lift from $299 to $450, depending
on the day. Then one day I got a mail tickler from ebay about a lift
just _exactly_ like those for $149 + $30 shipping. Bought it. It's the
tits, and I've used it for many other light lifting projects besides
hanging drywall. It has the tilt bed, so that one man can easily load
it, even with 10' sheets.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Terry Coombs wrote:

Was involved in the fabrication of a drywall lift to hold my sheetrock up
. Makes ceilings a snap . The brackets were made with the help of my vise
and a hammer . The pulley at the bottom below the winch was machined from 1
1/2" aluminum bar stock on my Wards PowrKraft lathe . The only materials
purchased for this project was the 2x4 lumber , everything else I had on
hand . It works absolutely swell .

http://s991.photobucket.com/user/Sna...?sort=3&page=1
--
Snag

A little metalworking here as well, actually at a friend's place where
we are building a metal roof structure over the space between two
shipping container storage sheds:

http://wpnet.us/Roof.jpg

Nothing exotic, just 2x2 tube uprights every 2' topped with 3x3 angle
that the light gauge C purlins will be mounted on. The uprights will be
clad with transparent corrugated roofing to keep out rain and let in
light. Standard metal roofing will top it off. Stick welded with my
Syncrowave 250, I don't do much stick, but my welds are getting better
as I progress on the project.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
Larry Jaques fired this volley in
:

Absolutely! Have you ever used a real one, to compare yours to it?
They cost $200-600, depending on brand and country of manufacture.
Renting for $80/day, the rental agency makes a killing on them.
I'm lucky. I've never had to hang horizontal drywall.

I got very lucky. I built my house, and did all the rock -- 2700
square feet of it!

Northern kept advertising their drywall lift from $299 to $450,
depending on the day. Then one day I got a mail tickler from ebay
about a lift just _exactly_ like those for $149 + $30 shipping.
Bought it. It's the tits, and I've used it for many other light
lifting projects besides hanging drywall. It has the tilt bed, so
that one man can easily load it, even with 10' sheets.

LLoyd

I considered making the top platform tiltable , but no more than I'm doing
it wasn't really necessary . And no , I've never used a commercially mfd.
unit , so I have no idea how much difference there is . One thing I'm going
to do before I continue is stiffen up the top a little more , it's letting
the ends sag enough to be a little difficult . The winch and pulley makes
lifting effort very light , I think a 6 yr old could crank it up . Hung 3
sheets this morning , then got some payin' work for the shop , so I'll be
out there the rest of the day .
--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 28 May 2014 08:16:03 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Larry Jaques fired this volley in
:

Absolutely! Have you ever used a real one, to compare yours to it?
They cost $200-600, depending on brand and country of manufacture.
Renting for $80/day, the rental agency makes a killing on them.
I'm lucky. I've never had to hang horizontal drywall.

I got very lucky. I built my house, and did all the rock -- 2700 square
feet of it!

Northern kept advertising their drywall lift from $299 to $450, depending
on the day. Then one day I got a mail tickler from ebay about a lift
just _exactly_ like those for $149 + $30 shipping. Bought it. It's the
tits, and I've used it for many other light lifting projects besides
hanging drywall. It has the tilt bed, so that one man can easily load
it, even with 10' sheets.

If you have to do it, that's definitely the way to go. Good sale!

--
....in order that a man may be happy, it is
necessary that he should not only be capable
of his work, but a good judge of his work.
-- John Ruskin

Not metalwork - Woodwork the OLD way Steve W.[_4_] Metalworking 2 November 14th 13 05:02 AM
lathe metalwork Cursitor Doom UK diy 6 October 17th 13 09:02 PM
Anyone doing any metalwork? Steve B[_10_] Metalworking 69 August 22nd 11 03:20 PM
Anyone doing any actual metalwork? Wes[_2_] Metalworking 0 March 26th 09 09:32 PM
Metalwork in Europe Allan Adler Metalworking 13 August 7th 04 03:12 AM