Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT - electrical wiring question

I have a copy of the NEC, but I know that I NEVER find the answer there.
RCM, on the other hand, is sure to have it.

Can I run a 240v receptacle and a 120v one off the same breaker? Sized
appropriately, of course. Say a 2-pole 20A breaker, 3-wire 12ga cable,
and 20A receptacles, like this:

P1 ________________
|___
N ........... 240v receptacle
. ____
P2 ________________|
| .
|__________ 120v receptacle

It looks OK to me, but one never knows what esoteric considerations the
NEC might make.

Thanks,
Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 12 May 2014 09:25:20 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

I have a copy of the NEC, but I know that I NEVER find the answer there.
RCM, on the other hand, is sure to have it.

Can I run a 240v receptacle and a 120v one off the same breaker? Sized
appropriately, of course. Say a 2-pole 20A breaker, 3-wire 12ga cable,
and 20A receptacles, like this:

P1 ________________
|___
N ........... 240v receptacle
. ____
P2 ________________|
| .
|__________ 120v receptacle

It looks OK to me, but one never knows what esoteric considerations the
NEC might make.

Thanks,
Bob

Look at Article 210.4, Bob. Specifically 210.4 C exception 2, which
seems to allow your situation. I've done it my shop.

But circuits above ?? amps (30A?) are allowed only one recep,
depending on the type of premises.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, May 12, 2014 9:25:20 AM UTC-4, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
I have a copy of the NEC, but I know that I NEVER find the answer there.

RCM, on the other hand, is sure to have it.

Can I run a 240v receptacle and a 120v one off the same breaker? Sized

appropriately, of course. Say a 2-pole 20A breaker, 3-wire 12ga cable,

and 20A receptacles, like this:

P1 ________________

|___

N ........... 240v receptacle

. ____

P2 ________________|

| .

|__________ 120v receptacle

It looks OK to me, but one never knows what esoteric considerations the

NEC might make.

Thanks,

Bob

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/Produ... nisite=10251

This is a duplex outlet with one 250V outlet and one 125V outlet. The installation instructions show two options - one for wiring from separate circuits and the other with wiring from a single 250V + neutral circuit. I believe that the separate circuit option is NOT allowed by the latest code unless the two circuits are fed by a tandem breaker. You're not allowed to shut off the breaker to a circuit in a box and leave another circuit in the same box powered (I'm pretty sure I read that in a "simplified" code book).

The existence of this certainly implies that it's permissible, but you ought to check with your local inspector to make sure that there's nothing in the LOCAL code that says otherwise. You might want to cite this device. Alternatively, if you don't want to talk to your inspector, you could call Leviton customer service 800.323.8920 and ask for a pointer to the relevant code.

HTH
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/12/2014 9:25 AM, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
I have a copy of the NEC, but I know that I NEVER find the answer there.
RCM, on the other hand, is sure to have it.

Can I run a 240v receptacle and a 120v one off the same breaker? Sized
appropriately, of course. Say a 2-pole 20A breaker, 3-wire 12ga cable,
and 20A receptacles, like this:

P1 ________________
|___
N ........... 240v receptacle
. ____
P2 ________________|
| .
|__________ 120v receptacle

It looks OK to me, but one never knows what esoteric considerations the
NEC might make.

Thanks,
Bob

I've done it but we never use both outlets at the same time for high
current demand. If you need both to supply high current at the same
time, do it differently.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote in
:

I have a copy of the NEC, but I know that I NEVER find the answer there.
RCM, on the other hand, is sure to have it.

Can I run a 240v receptacle and a 120v one off the same breaker? Sized
appropriately, of course. Say a 2-pole 20A breaker, 3-wire 12ga cable,
and 20A receptacles, like this:

Perfectly fine, as long as the two poles are tied together so that both sides of the circuit are
disconnected simultaneously.

P1 ________________
|___
N ........... 240v receptacle
. ____
P2 ________________|
| .
|__________ 120v receptacle

It looks OK to me, but one never knows what esoteric considerations the
NEC might make.

Thanks,
Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 12 May 2014 10:26:59 -0400, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:

On 5/12/2014 9:25 AM, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
I have a copy of the NEC, but I know that I NEVER find the answer there.
RCM, on the other hand, is sure to have it.

Can I run a 240v receptacle and a 120v one off the same breaker? Sized
appropriately, of course. Say a 2-pole 20A breaker, 3-wire 12ga cable,
and 20A receptacles, like this:

P1 ________________
|___
N ........... 240v receptacle
. ____
P2 ________________|
| .
|__________ 120v receptacle

It looks OK to me, but one never knows what esoteric considerations the
NEC might make.

Thanks,
Bob

I've done it but we never use both outlets at the same time for high
current demand. If you need both to supply high current at the same
time, do it differently.

I've done the same often in R&D, especially on a 240V powered cart
where I might want to use a drill motor or grinder. Which doesn't
happen while the 240V is in use. A welding cart could be similar.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 13 May 2014 06:32:39 -0500, Pete Keillor
wrote:

On Mon, 12 May 2014 10:26:59 -0400, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:

On 5/12/2014 9:25 AM, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
I have a copy of the NEC, but I know that I NEVER find the answer there.
RCM, on the other hand, is sure to have it.

Can I run a 240v receptacle and a 120v one off the same breaker? Sized
appropriately, of course. Say a 2-pole 20A breaker, 3-wire 12ga cable,
and 20A receptacles, like this:

P1 ________________
|___
N ........... 240v receptacle
. ____
P2 ________________|
| .
|__________ 120v receptacle

It looks OK to me, but one never knows what esoteric considerations the
NEC might make.

Thanks,
Bob

I've done it but we never use both outlets at the same time for high
current demand. If you need both to supply high current at the same
time, do it differently.

I've done the same often in R&D, especially on a 240V powered cart
where I might want to use a drill motor or grinder. Which doesn't
happen while the 240V is in use. A welding cart could be similar.

Pete Keillor

I've seen workbenches plugged into 240 volt welder plug with a small
sub-panel to "fuse" the 110 outlets as well as the 220 20 amp outlet
for the table saw/jointer/RAS etc.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

news
wrote:

On Mon, 12 May 2014 10:26:59 -0400, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:

On 5/12/2014 9:25 AM, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
I have a copy of the NEC, but I know that I NEVER find the answer
there.
RCM, on the other hand, is sure to have it.

Can I run a 240v receptacle and a 120v one off the same breaker?
Sized
appropriately, of course. Say a 2-pole 20A breaker, 3-wire 12ga
cable,
and 20A receptacles, like this:

P1 ________________
|___
N ........... 240v receptacle
. ____
P2 ________________|
| .
|__________ 120v receptacle

It looks OK to me, but one never knows what esoteric
considerations the
NEC might make.

Thanks,
Bob

I've done it but we never use both outlets at the same time for
high
current demand. If you need both to supply high current at the
same
time, do it differently.

I've done the same often in R&D, especially on a 240V powered cart
where I might want to use a drill motor or grinder. Which doesn't
happen while the 240V is in use. A welding cart could be similar.

Pete Keillor

I've seen workbenches plugged into 240 volt welder plug with a small
sub-panel to "fuse" the 110 outlets as well as the 220 20 amp outlet
for the table saw/jointer/RAS etc.

240V electric stoves have 120V outlets.

I know Mass doesn't allow you to do your own plumbing, and thought DIY
wiring was also prohibited. They once considered a bill to sell lumber
only to contractors. Most of the pickup trucks in southern NH Home
Depot and Lowes parking lots have Mass plates.

jsw