Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT - electrical wiring question

On 5/12/2014 9:25 AM, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
I have a copy of the NEC, but I know that I NEVER find the answer there.
RCM, on the other hand, is sure to have it.

Can I run a 240v receptacle and a 120v one off the same breaker? Sized
appropriately, of course. Say a 2-pole 20A breaker, 3-wire 12ga cable,
and 20A receptacles, like this:

P1 ________________
|___
N ........... 240v receptacle
. ____
| .
|__________ 120v receptacle

It looks OK to me, but one never knows what esoteric considerations the
NEC might make.

Thanks,
Bob

I've done it but we never use both outlets at the same time for high
current demand. If you need both to supply high current at the same
time, do it differently.