Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons Ned Simmons is offline

Default OT - electrical wiring question

On Mon, 12 May 2014 09:25:20 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

I have a copy of the NEC, but I know that I NEVER find the answer there.
RCM, on the other hand, is sure to have it.

Can I run a 240v receptacle and a 120v one off the same breaker? Sized
appropriately, of course. Say a 2-pole 20A breaker, 3-wire 12ga cable,
and 20A receptacles, like this:

P1 ________________
|___
N ........... 240v receptacle
. ____
P2 ________________|
| .
|__________ 120v receptacle

It looks OK to me, but one never knows what esoteric considerations the
NEC might make.

Thanks,
Bob

Look at Article 210.4, Bob. Specifically 210.4 C exception 2, which
seems to allow your situation. I've done it my shop.

But circuits above ?? amps (30A?) are allowed only one recep,
depending on the type of premises.

--
Ned Simmons