Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Getting quotes mid-high end machining?

I'm potentially looking to get some machining done (just one piece for
now, but it won't be cheap). More later. It will require a fairly
large 5-axis CNC (lots of strange angles and it's something like 18"
diameter by 6" aluminum. There are not many local guys left, and
they're mostly busy with oil and long-term aerospace contracts.

Any suggestions of where to look? I was thinking of starting to canvas
higher-end mold shops in the Ohio area, but other suggestions are
welcome. Looking for reasonable responsiveness (weeks, not months),
which probably rules out the automotive guys.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, May 6, 2014 9:13:28 AM UTC-7, Spehro Pefhany wrote:
I'm potentially looking to get some machining done (just one piece for

now, but it won't be cheap). More later. It will require a fairly

large 5-axis CNC (lots of strange angles and it's something like 18"

diameter by 6" aluminum. There are not many local guys left, and

they're mostly busy with oil and long-term aerospace contracts.

Any suggestions of where to look? I was thinking of starting to canvas

higher-end mold shops in the Ohio area, but other suggestions are

welcome. Looking for reasonable responsiveness (weeks, not months),

which probably rules out the automotive guys.

Best regards,

Spehro Pefhany

If you were in the San Diego, CA area I'd recommend this shop:

http://www.fifth-axis.com/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, May 6, 2014 9:13:28 AM UTC-7, Spehro Pefhany wrote:
I'm potentially looking to get some machining done (just one piece for

now, but it won't be cheap). More later. It will require a fairly

large 5-axis CNC (lots of strange angles and it's something like 18"

diameter by 6" aluminum. There are not many local guys left, and

they're mostly busy with oil and long-term aerospace contracts.

Any suggestions of where to look? I was thinking of starting to canvas

higher-end mold shops in the Ohio area, but other suggestions are

welcome. Looking for reasonable responsiveness (weeks, not months),

which probably rules out the automotive guys.

Best regards,

Spehro Pefhany

My LinkedIn group CADCAM Technology Leaders has a lot of members that are in Ohio. You might want to ask there for a recommendation. It's a very active group with close to 2,000 members.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, May 6, 2014 12:13:28 PM UTC-4, Spehro Pefhany wrote:
I'm potentially looking to get some machining done (just one piece for
now, but it won't be cheap). More later. It will require a fairly
large 5-axis CNC (lots of strange angles and it's something like 18"
diameter by 6" aluminum. There are not many local guys left, and
they're mostly busy with oil and long-term aerospace contracts.

Any suggestions of where to look? I was thinking of starting to canvas
higher-end mold shops in the Ohio area, but other suggestions are
welcome. Looking for reasonable responsiveness (weeks, not months),
which probably rules out the automotive guys.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

I like the work we get from Lakeside precision.
(Dunkirk, NY)
But we do pretty simple stuff... in ~100's quantities.
Here's a list of what they have,
http://www.lakesideprecision.com/services.html

I have no idea how busy they are.
George H.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 6 May 2014 09:40:04 -0700 (PDT), jon_banquer
wrote:

My LinkedIn group CADCAM Technology Leaders has a lot of members that are in Ohio. You might want to ask there for a recommendation. It's a very active group with close to 2,000 members.

Thanks, I wasn't sure it would be appropriate, but if you say so..

--sp

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

My LinkedIn group CADCAM Technology Leaders has a lot of members that are in Ohio. You might want to ask there for a recommendation. It's a very active group with close to 2,000 members.

Thanks, I wasn't sure it would be appropriate, but if you say so..

--sp

Anything *you* have to say is appropriate.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Spehro Pefhany" wrote in message

I'm potentially looking to get some machining done (just one piece for
now, but it won't be cheap). More later. It will require a fairly
large 5-axis CNC (lots of strange angles and it's something like 18"
diameter by 6" aluminum. There are not many local guys left, and
they're mostly busy with oil and long-term aerospace contracts.

Any suggestions of where to look? I was thinking of starting to canvas
higher-end mold shops in the Ohio area, but other suggestions are
welcome. Looking for reasonable responsiveness (weeks, not months),
which probably rules out the automotive guys.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Try the RFQ section on CNCZONE.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, May 6, 2014 10:29:41 AM UTC-7, Bob La Londe wrote:
"Spehro Pefhany" wrote in message

I'm potentially looking to get some machining done (just one piece for

now, but it won't be cheap). More later. It will require a fairly

large 5-axis CNC (lots of strange angles and it's something like 18"

diameter by 6" aluminum. There are not many local guys left, and

they're mostly busy with oil and long-term aerospace contracts.

Any suggestions of where to look? I was thinking of starting to canvas

higher-end mold shops in the Ohio area, but other suggestions are

welcome. Looking for reasonable responsiveness (weeks, not months),

which probably rules out the automotive guys.

Best regards,

Spehro Pefhany

Try the RFQ section on CNCZONE.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Typical DumbBlonde answer. CNC Advertising Zone is mostly hobbyists and the owner Paul Gentile is as corrupt as they come.

LinkedIn is where he should be looking. Besides my LinkedIn group, several CNC machining groups exist on LinkedIn that put CNC Advertising Zone and Practically Worthless Machinist to shame.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Spehro Pefhany wrote:

I'm potentially looking to get some machining done (just one piece for
now, but it won't be cheap). More later. It will require a fairly
large 5-axis CNC (lots of strange angles and it's something like 18"
diameter by 6" aluminum. There are not many local guys left, and
they're mostly busy with oil and long-term aerospace contracts.

Any suggestions of where to look?Check with MPM in Wichita

http://www.mpm1.com/

They are a good aerospace shop, I know one of the principals there
quite well. They have some VERY good 5-axis machines. They have
2 large Cincinnatti 5-axis mills, and I think their Viper is also
5-axis.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/6/2014 12:13 PM, Spehro Pefhany wrote:

I'm potentially looking to get some machining done (just one piece for
now, but it won't be cheap). More later. It will require a fairly
large 5-axis CNC (lots of strange angles and it's something like 18"
diameter by 6" aluminum. There are not many local guys left, and
they're mostly busy with oil and long-term aerospace contracts.

Any suggestions of where to look? I was thinking of starting to canvas
higher-end mold shops in the Ohio area, but other suggestions are
welcome. Looking for reasonable responsiveness (weeks, not months),
which probably rules out the automotive guys.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

I'll ask around in Cleveland.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, May 6, 2014 12:13:28 PM UTC-4, Spehro Pefhany wrote:
I'm potentially looking to get some machining done (just one piece for

now, but it won't be cheap). More later. It will require a fairly

large 5-axis CNC (lots of strange angles and it's something like 18"

diameter by 6" aluminum. There are not many local guys left, and

they're mostly busy with oil and long-term aerospace contracts.

Tolt Machine Works near Seattle might be worth checking out. It is owned by a former Microsoft employee. They have a web site and some really big machines.

I have just read some articles about how he is buying old large machines and converting them to computer controls. So he might have the capability and may not have a lot of customers as it is a new company.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 06 May 2014 12:13:28 -0400, Spehro Pefhany
wrote:

I'm potentially looking to get some machining done (just one piece for
now, but it won't be cheap). More later. It will require a fairly
large 5-axis CNC (lots of strange angles and it's something like 18"
diameter by 6" aluminum. There are not many local guys left, and
they're mostly busy with oil and long-term aerospace contracts.

Any suggestions of where to look? I was thinking of starting to canvas
higher-end mold shops in the Ohio area, but other suggestions are
welcome. Looking for reasonable responsiveness (weeks, not months),
which probably rules out the automotive guys.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Try asking around on the www.practicalmachinist.com forums. There is
one forum specific to matching customers and machinists, I think, but
also try the CNC forum there. Lots of knowledgeablemachinists there
and you should be able to get at least one reference.

Mike
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Practically Worthless Machinist is an advertising based machinist and CADCAM forum. Advertising based machinist and CADCAM forums are the past.

The future is independently run LinkedIn groups that aren't controlled by advertising money. The future is now!

It's time to wake up and smell the coffee. LinkedIn machining and CADCAM groups far exceed the content that you can find on Practically Worthless Machinist or CNC Advertising Zone.

OT quotes Broadback[_3_] UK diy 1 July 11th 13 10:22 PM
THE TOP 10 quotes of 2008 Winston Metalworking 0 December 17th 08 01:35 AM
THE TOP 10 quotes of 2008 Martin H. Eastburn Metalworking 0 December 16th 08 03:25 AM
machining HDPE to high finish Lloyd E. Sponenburgh Metalworking 3 May 3rd 06 01:05 AM
Electrician Quotes [email protected] UK diy 14 October 27th 05 10:00 AM