Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default spiral reamer leaves spiral marks

I keep running into an issue with spiral reamers that leave what appears
to be rifling in anything (aluminum) that I ream.

changing speed and feed rates doesn't seem to matter. Dry or with cutting
oil doesn't seem to matter either.

The straight reamers of the same size don't seem to have this problem.

What might be causing this, or how does one stop it?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 24 Mar 2014 19:47:31 +0000, Cydrome Leader wrote:

I keep running into an issue with spiral reamers that leave what appears
to be rifling in anything (aluminum) that I ream.

changing speed and feed rates doesn't seem to matter. Dry or with
cutting oil doesn't seem to matter either.

The straight reamers of the same size don't seem to have this problem.

What might be causing this, or how does one stop it?

Use straight reamers?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, March 24, 2014 12:47:31 PM UTC-7, Cydrome Leader wrote:
I keep running into an issue with spiral reamers that leave what appears

to be rifling in anything (aluminum) that I ream.

changing speed and feed rates doesn't seem to matter. Dry or with cutting

oil doesn't seem to matter either.

The straight reamers of the same size don't seem to have this problem.

What might be causing this, or how does one stop it?

Sounds like chip build up on the reamer.

Is it a through hole?

Can you stop the reamer and clean it when it pokes through?

Usually spiral reamers leave a better finish.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:
On Mon, 24 Mar 2014 19:47:31 +0000, Cydrome Leader wrote:

I keep running into an issue with spiral reamers that leave what appears
to be rifling in anything (aluminum) that I ream.

changing speed and feed rates doesn't seem to matter. Dry or with
cutting oil doesn't seem to matter either.

The straight reamers of the same size don't seem to have this problem.

What might be causing this, or how does one stop it?

Use straight reamers?

heh, yeah.

Is this "normal" behavior? I can't quite figure out how it leaves such
distinct marks that appear to match the shape of the cutting flutes,
unless it's somehow bouncing around backwards like when a shaft is in a
worn bearing and it makes that horrible chatter. I've been following the
drill 1/64th undersize tip.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 24 Mar 2014 14:57:49 -0500, Tim Wescott
wrote:

On Mon, 24 Mar 2014 19:47:31 +0000, Cydrome Leader wrote:

I keep running into an issue with spiral reamers that leave what appears
to be rifling in anything (aluminum) that I ream.

changing speed and feed rates doesn't seem to matter. Dry or with
cutting oil doesn't seem to matter either.

The straight reamers of the same size don't seem to have this problem.

What might be causing this, or how does one stop it?

Use straight reamers?

Is he using pot-aluminum? Y'know, that mushy crap which won't drill
worth a hoot? It sticks to the flutes of the drill bit and rips a hole
wider in some areas. Maybe he just needs a better grade of aluminum.

--
The most decisive actions of our life - I mean those that are most
likely to decide the whole course of our future - are, more often

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 24 Mar 2014 21:35:08 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
wrote:

Tim Wescott wrote:
On Mon, 24 Mar 2014 19:47:31 +0000, Cydrome Leader wrote:

I keep running into an issue with spiral reamers that leave what appears
to be rifling in anything (aluminum) that I ream.

changing speed and feed rates doesn't seem to matter. Dry or with
cutting oil doesn't seem to matter either.

The straight reamers of the same size don't seem to have this problem.

What might be causing this, or how does one stop it?

Use straight reamers?

heh, yeah.

Is this "normal" behavior? I can't quite figure out how it leaves such
distinct marks that appear to match the shape of the cutting flutes,
unless it's somehow bouncing around backwards like when a shaft is in a
worn bearing and it makes that horrible chatter. I've been following the
drill 1/64th undersize tip.

It sounds as though the reamers are chattering. Are the spiral reamers
"machine reamers", if not 0.017" might be a trifle too large a cut.
General practice seems to be a cut of ~0.015 in a half inch hole for a
machine reamer and from 0.001 - 0.113 for a hand reamer.
--
Cheers,

John B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Pot aluminum??

You mean 6063-T5(whatever)?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Tim Wescott wrote:
[...]

Correction from 0.001 - 0.003 :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"jon_banquer" wrote in message
On Monday, March 24, 2014 12:47:31 PM UTC-7, Cydrome Leader wrote:
I keep running into an issue with spiral reamers that leave what appears

to be rifling in anything (aluminum) that I ream.

changing speed and feed rates doesn't seem to matter. Dry or with cutting

oil doesn't seem to matter either.

The straight reamers of the same size don't seem to have this problem.

What might be causing this, or how does one stop it?

Sounds like chip build up on the reamer.

Is it a through hole?

Can you stop the reamer and clean it when it pokes through?

Usually spiral reamers leave a better finish.

I used to actually give a damn.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

jon_banquer wrote:
On Monday, March 24, 2014 12:47:31 PM UTC-7, Cydrome Leader wrote:
I keep running into an issue with spiral reamers that leave what appears

to be rifling in anything (aluminum) that I ream.

changing speed and feed rates doesn't seem to matter. Dry or with cutting

oil doesn't seem to matter either.

The straight reamers of the same size don't seem to have this problem.

What might be causing this, or how does one stop it?

Sounds like chip build up on the reamer.

Is it a through hole?

it's through hole. chip build up doesn't seem to be a problem. The rifling
starts immediately.

Can you stop the reamer and clean it when it pokes through?

yeah, it doesn't appear to be the cause. It will happen at any depth, be
it 1/4 or an 1".

Usually spiral reamers leave a better finish.

not this one at least.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Mon, 24 Mar 2014 19:47:31 +0000, Cydrome Leader wrote:

I keep running into an issue with spiral reamers that leave what appears
to be rifling in anything (aluminum) that I ream.

changing speed and feed rates doesn't seem to matter. Dry or with
cutting oil doesn't seem to matter either.

The straight reamers of the same size don't seem to have this problem.

What might be causing this, or how does one stop it?

Use straight reamers?

Is he using pot-aluminum? Y'know, that mushy crap which won't drill
worth a hoot? It sticks to the flutes of the drill bit and rips a hole
wider in some areas. Maybe he just needs a better grade of aluminum.

it's 6061-t rod, and some other scraps that were laying around.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Tim Wescott wrote:
[...]

It's no imprinted as such, but it's just a rod about 6" long with spiral
cutters about 1-1/2" long one one side. There's nothing to make it look
like you'd use it with a hand or t-handle as a hand tool.

General practice seems to be a cut of ~0.015 in a half inch hole for a
machine reamer and from 0.001 - 0.113 for a hand reamer.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Cydrome Leader fired this volley in news:lgsd8v
:

It's no imprinted as such, but it's just a rod about 6" long with spiral
cutters about 1-1/2" long one one side. There's nothing to make it look
like you'd use it with a hand or t-handle as a hand tool.

How deeply are you reaming?
Further than 1-1/2"?

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, March 25, 2014 10:05:09 AM UTC-7, Cydrome Leader wrote:
jon_banquer wrote:

On Monday, March 24, 2014 12:47:31 PM UTC-7, Cydrome Leader wrote:

I keep running into an issue with spiral reamers that leave what appears

to be rifling in anything (aluminum) that I ream.

changing speed and feed rates doesn't seem to matter. Dry or with cutting

oil doesn't seem to matter either.

The straight reamers of the same size don't seem to have this problem.

What might be causing this, or how does one stop it?

Sounds like chip build up on the reamer.

Is it a through hole?

it's through hole. chip build up doesn't seem to be a problem. The rifling

starts immediately.

Can you stop the reamer and clean it when it pokes through?

yeah, it doesn't appear to be the cause. It will happen at any depth, be

it 1/4 or an 1".

Usually spiral reamers leave a better finish.

not this one at least.

What are you holding the spiral reamer with?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Cydrome Leader fired this volley in news:lgsd8v
:

It's no imprinted as such, but it's just a rod about 6" long with spiral
cutters about 1-1/2" long one one side. There's nothing to make it look
like you'd use it with a hand or t-handle as a hand tool.

How deeply are you reaming?
Further than 1-1/2"?

just a half inch, or that's as fast as I've bothered with this one reamer.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

jon_banquer wrote:

[...]

3 jaw chuck in a tailstock.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Cydrome Leader fired this volley in
:

just a half inch, or that's as fast as I've bothered with this one
reamer.

Then it sounds like, despite all care, it's not exactly perpendicular to
the hole, or running slightly eccentric; Enough so that one area is
cutting more aggressively than another -- and since they go all the way
around the bore, I'm suspecting eccentric to the shaft.

Where did you get this reamer, and what is: 1) its diameter, and 2) its
cost/provenance.

How are you driving it?

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Cydrome Leader fired this volley in
:

just a half inch, or that's as fast as I've bothered with this one
reamer.

Then it sounds like, despite all care, it's not exactly perpendicular to
the hole, or running slightly eccentric; Enough so that one area is
cutting more aggressively than another -- and since they go all the way
around the bore, I'm suspecting eccentric to the shaft.

Where did you get this reamer, and what is: 1) its diameter, and 2) its
cost/provenance.

1) 0.250" x 6"
2) unknown, was new in packaging, chinese origin, fit and finish seem
good.

How are you driving it?

it's being driven into the work by turning the crank on the lathe's
tailstock. The lathe is a sherline, so everything is tiny.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

jon_banquer wrote:

[...]

Check the alinement of the tailstock. I think something is off. You can start by doing something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtYi-mXS4O0

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

If that's okay progress with checking the alinement of the actual reamer to your hole.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Cydrome Leader fired this volley in news:lgsj7h
:

it's being driven into the work by turning the crank on the lathe's
tailstock. The lathe is a sherline, so everything is tiny.

yeah... that's not all there is to "driven". Depth per rotation, etc....

ANYway... Even if you assume the reamer is perfect, there's little chance
that the tailstock of a Sherline is either aligned in X OR parallel to
the headstock. Because the straight reamers cut on their entire length
all at once, that could be accommodated by them simply by BENDING the
shank enough to get the reamer in alignment with the hole.

If the alignment and the reamer were perfect, a spiral reamer _would_ cut
on all surfaces at once. But bend it a little, and it cuts
preferentially on one "lobe" of an edge.

As others have said, I think you have an alignment problem.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com fired this volley in
. 3.70:

As others have said, I think you have an alignment problem.

PS... 'bet you're holding it in a drill chuck, too. Yes?

(hint... It wouldn't be straight on your life... G)

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, March 25, 2014 12:52:29 PM UTC-7, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com fired this volley in

. 3.70:

As others have said, I think you have an alignment problem.

PS... 'bet you're holding it in a drill chuck, too. Yes?

(hint... It wouldn't be straight on your life... G)

Lloyd

I prefer to hold reamers in collets. Less problems with possible run out issues.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

jon_banquer wrote:

[...]

will have to try that rule trick.

shop dog has some great recipies by the way- I tried the apple cake.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

jon_banquer wrote:

[...]

It's a great quick check and it is especially helpful in a machining job shop that has its share of hacks where you share equipment.

For cooking I'll stick with Alton Brown. Trying hard not to become a fanboi but it's hard because I think he's so much better than the rest.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I prefer using an indicator in the spindle, attached to a medium lengt rod
so that it can be repositioned, lock the tailpiece and indicate the tail
center at both the retracted and extended positions. This not only centers
the quill but it also tells you whether the quill travel is parallel to the
spindle bearing rotational axis (if it is not parallel then a drill might
line up perfeftly but a reamer will be off-center because a reamer is
typically longer than a drill)

Usually though I just chamfer a bit larger than the reamer and then single
point bore a bit smaller than the reamer for a shallow distance, which
eliminates the problem of reamer wobble on entry....generally works fine
except in exceptionally soft materials since tailstiocks and reamers tend to
flex fairly easily and so they'll tend to follow the hole if you at least
given them a fighting chance.

For cooking I'll stick with Alton Brown. Trying hard not to become a
fanboi but it's hard because I think he's so much better than the rest.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

jon_banquer wrote:

[...]

Well, it turns out there is an alignment issue. The tailstock/spindle are
at slightly different heights. Not sure how or when this happened. I'll
have to figure this out and then try and see what happens.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

As per usual, excellent machining advice from Precision Machinist.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

jon_banquer wrote:

[...]

Glad you got it figured out. I had no doubt you would. I also have no doubt you will become an excellent machinist.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Cydrome Leader" wrote in message

Well, it turns out there is an alignment issue. The
tailstock/spindle are
at slightly different heights. Not sure how or when this happened.
I'll
have to figure this out and then try and see what happens.

They may also shift alignment slightly when under a load.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-03-26, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Cydrome Leader" wrote in message

Well, it turns out there is an alignment issue. The
tailstock/spindle are
at slightly different heights. Not sure how or when this happened.
I'll
have to figure this out and then try and see what happens.

They may also shift alignment slightly when under a load.

Is the tailstock lower or higher? And by how much?

I understand that some good machines are made with tailstocks
about a half-mil (0.0005") higher than the spindle, so as the tailstock
wears over the years, it gets better before it gets as bad as when it
was new. And that much offset is normally not a problem.

If the tailstock is lower, and if it is a split tailstock (ram
holding part is separate from the base which slides on the bed), then
you can take it apart and add the proper thickness of shim stock between
them before re-assembling -- and then taking care to get the tailstock
horizontal offset correct again.

In a turret, there are reamer holders which will offset slightly
in all directions, so you can get it truly on center.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-03-26, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Cydrome Leader" wrote in message

Well, it turns out there is an alignment issue. The
tailstock/spindle are
at slightly different heights. Not sure how or when this happened.
I'll
have to figure this out and then try and see what happens.

They may also shift alignment slightly when under a load.

Is the tailstock lower or higher? And by how much?

The tailstock was lower by maybe something between 5-10 thousandths. I
removed the headstock and found a small chip of metal that was keeping it
from laying flat on the bed. It's a sherline lathe so it attaches with a
peg and setscrew. Anways, after that everything lined up correctly. I have
removed the headstock in the past to set it on a riser block to work with
stuff over 3" in diameter. This must have been when it got botched up.

I understand that some good machines are made with tailstocks
about a half-mil (0.0005") higher than the spindle, so as the tailstock
wears over the years, it gets better before it gets as bad as when it
was new. And that much offset is normally not a problem.

If the tailstock is lower, and if it is a split tailstock (ram
holding part is separate from the base which slides on the bed), then
you can take it apart and add the proper thickness of shim stock between
them before re-assembling -- and then taking care to get the tailstock
horizontal offset correct again.

In a turret, there are reamer holders which will offset slightly
in all directions, so you can get it truly on center.

In the sherline the tailstock is just an aluminum extrusion. There are no
adjustments for wear, but people do chop them up and add the ability to
make adjustments.

I tried again with this one weird reamer, and again it left rifling marks.
I'm going to play with larger and smaller holes before reaming to see what
happens. I did cut a fairly deep counersink to allow it smooth entry, but
it did get a bit grabby at first, which may be the problem. It doesn't
seem to chatter at all when cutting.

Spiral Point, Forming, Spiral Flute Bob La Londe[_7_] Metalworking 3 January 14th 13 09:14 PM
spiral reamer chatter Cydrome Leader Metalworking 1 January 10th 13 08:54 PM
OT - Spiral Arthur 51[_3_] UK diy 22 December 10th 09 03:46 PM
Spiral vs Jig saw notbob Woodworking 41 March 7th 09 10:14 PM
Up spiral.. Down spiral.. What the heck? Jim Hall Woodworking 6 September 6th 06 01:59 PM