Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default spiral reamer leaves spiral marks

On Tuesday, March 25, 2014 11:53:22 AM UTC-7, jon_banquer wrote:
On Tuesday, March 25, 2014 10:41:54 AM UTC-7, Cydrome Leader wrote:

jon_banquer wrote:

On Tuesday, March 25, 2014 10:05:09 AM UTC-7, Cydrome Leader wrote:

jon_banquer wrote:

On Monday, March 24, 2014 12:47:31 PM UTC-7, Cydrome Leader wrote:

I keep running into an issue with spiral reamers that leave what appears

to be rifling in anything (aluminum) that I ream.

changing speed and feed rates doesn't seem to matter. Dry or with cutting

oil doesn't seem to matter either.

The straight reamers of the same size don't seem to have this problem.

What might be causing this, or how does one stop it?

Sounds like chip build up on the reamer.

Is it a through hole?

it's through hole. chip build up doesn't seem to be a problem. The rifling

starts immediately.

Can you stop the reamer and clean it when it pokes through?

yeah, it doesn't appear to be the cause. It will happen at any depth, be

it 1/4 or an 1".

Usually spiral reamers leave a better finish.

not this one at least.

What are you holding the spiral reamer with?

3 jaw chuck in a tailstock.

Check the alinement of the tailstock. I think something is off. You can start by doing something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtYi-mXS4O0

If that's okay progress with checking the alinement of the actual reamer to your hole.