Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Gas check die set

Was it here I found the link which I've lost , so ... to plans for
making a gas check cutter/former ? Seems to me that it could either be used
in a press or with a hammer with slight mods .
--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/19/2014 11:28 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Was it here I found the link which I've lost , so ... to plans for
making a gas check cutter/former ? Seems to me that it could either be used
in a press or with a hammer with slight mods .

Here's a link I remember, make sure you use Copper or Brass and NOT Al.
What Caliber do you need?

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...as-Check-Maker
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:
On 3/19/2014 11:28 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Was it here I found the link which I've lost , so ... to plans
for making a gas check cutter/former ? Seems to me that it could
either be used in a press or with a hammer with slight mods .

Here's a link I remember, make sure you use Copper or Brass and NOT
Al. What Caliber do you need?

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...as-Check-Maker

I'm considering using a cast bullet in my 30-06 . I have some wheel weight
stock , but thought I'd need a check for any load over about 1500fps . The
bullet mold does have the rebate on the tail for checks , but I've never
used them before .
--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/20/2014 9:08 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Tom Gardner wrote:
On 3/19/2014 11:28 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Was it here I found the link which I've lost , so ... to plans
for making a gas check cutter/former ? Seems to me that it could
either be used in a press or with a hammer with slight mods .

Here's a link I remember, make sure you use Copper or Brass and NOT
Al. What Caliber do you need?

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...as-Check-Maker

I'm considering using a cast bullet in my 30-06 . I have some wheel weight
stock , but thought I'd need a check for any load over about 1500fps . The
bullet mold does have the rebate on the tail for checks , but I've never
used them before .

I might suggest that you buy a box to develop your load and technique
and deal with fewer variables at a time. I've been told that Copper
flashing works well. One guy I know uses old cartridges laid open.
I've never used them, I only use low-power pistol rounds, I only wish I
had a place to work with rifles. But I'd be interested in all data you
gather.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/19/2014 10:28 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Was it here I found the linkwhich I've lost , so ... to plans for
making a gas check cutter/former ? Seems to me that it could either be used
in a press or with a hammer with slight mods .

Factory made (store-bought) gas checks are so inexpensive I would not
waste my time
trying to make my own. Yet.

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?dimensionids=5703

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 20 Mar 2014 01:38:05 -0400, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:

On 3/19/2014 11:28 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Was it here I found the link which I've lost , so ... to plans for
making a gas check cutter/former ? Seems to me that it could either be used
in a press or with a hammer with slight mods .

Here's a link I remember, make sure you use Copper or Brass and NOT Al.
What Caliber do you need?

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...as-Check-Maker

Whats wrong with AL gas checks? Ive not tried em, but I see a crap
load on Ebay for cheap

--

"
I was once told by a “gun safety” advocate back in the Nineties

I began to give him a reasoned answer and he
cut me off with an abrupt, “Give me the short answer.”

I thought for a moment and said, “If you try to take our firearms we will kill you.”"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 20 Mar 2014 08:08:40 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Tom Gardner wrote:
On 3/19/2014 11:28 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Was it here I found the link which I've lost , so ... to plans
for making a gas check cutter/former ? Seems to me that it could
either be used in a press or with a hammer with slight mods .

Here's a link I remember, make sure you use Copper or Brass and NOT
Al. What Caliber do you need?

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...as-Check-Maker

I'm considering using a cast bullet in my 30-06 . I have some wheel weight
stock , but thought I'd need a check for any load over about 1500fps . The
bullet mold does have the rebate on the tail for checks , but I've never
used them before .

Depending on bore condition and lead alloy (hint...cast and then dump
directly into a 5 gallong bucket of water)..they go from 11 Brinell to
nearly 30-35 in a day or two)...Ive fired unchecked bullets at over
2000fps.

Some guns will do that easily..others..not so well.

Gas checks come into play largely depending on powder burn rate THEN
speed.

Gunner

--

"
I was once told by a “gun safety” advocate back in the Nineties
that he favored total civilian firearms confiscation.
Only the military and police should have weapons he averred and what did I think about that?

I began to give him a reasoned answer and he
cut me off with an abrupt, “Give me the short answer.”

I thought for a moment and said, “If you try to take our firearms we will kill you.”"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 20 Mar 2014 13:43:30 -0500, Richard
wrote:

On 3/19/2014 10:28 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Was it here I found the linkwhich I've lost , so ... to plans for
making a gas check cutter/former ? Seems to me that it could either be used
in a press or with a hammer with slight mods .

Factory made (store-bought) gas checks are so inexpensive I would not
waste my time
trying to make my own. Yet.

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?dimensionids=5703

3.2 cents each PLUS shipping is hardly cheap.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/30-Cal-Alumi...-/221315915797

http://freechex.net/

http://patmarlins.com/

http://www.castpics.net/subsite2/HowTo/MakingGC.pdf

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...as-check-maker

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...gas-checkmaker

Im almost done building my own.

Gunner

--

"
I was once told by a “gun safety” advocate back in the Nineties
that he favored total civilian firearms confiscation.
Only the military and police should have weapons he averred and what did I think about that?

I began to give him a reasoned answer and he
cut me off with an abrupt, “Give me the short answer.”

I thought for a moment and said, “If you try to take our firearms we will kill you.”"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 3/19/2014 10:28 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Was it here I found the linkwhich I've lost , so ... to plans
for making a gas check cutter/former ? Seems to me that it could
either be used in a press or with a hammer with slight mods .

Factory made (store-bought) gas checks are so inexpensive I would not
waste my time
trying to make my own. Yet.

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?dimensionids=5703

3.2 cents each PLUS shipping is hardly cheap.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/30-Cal-Alumi...-/221315915797

http://freechex.net/

http://patmarlins.com/

http://www.castpics.net/subsite2/HowTo/MakingGC.pdf

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...as-check-maker

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...gas-checkmaker

Im almost done building my own.

Gunner

Saved the plans to make one . Just as soon as I finish up my boring head
and a set of indexable turnung tools for the lathe .
--
Snag

check this nomad0190 Home Repair 2 February 27th 07 04:23 AM
check it out millsy124 UK diy 9 February 20th 06 09:30 AM
Check This Out! David Edwards Home Repair 4 February 19th 06 02:35 AM
Check This Out! David Edwards Home Repair 2 February 15th 06 10:33 AM
Need a check up? WWE Fan!!!! Electronics Repair 0 August 21st 05 09:56 PM