Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Gas check die set

On Thu, 20 Mar 2014 08:08:40 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Tom Gardner wrote:
On 3/19/2014 11:28 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Was it here I found the link which I've lost , so ... to plans
for making a gas check cutter/former ? Seems to me that it could
either be used in a press or with a hammer with slight mods .

Here's a link I remember, make sure you use Copper or Brass and NOT
Al. What Caliber do you need?

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...as-Check-Maker

I'm considering using a cast bullet in my 30-06 . I have some wheel weight
stock , but thought I'd need a check for any load over about 1500fps . The
bullet mold does have the rebate on the tail for checks , but I've never
used them before .

Depending on bore condition and lead alloy (hint...cast and then dump
directly into a 5 gallong bucket of water)..they go from 11 Brinell to
nearly 30-35 in a day or two)...Ive fired unchecked bullets at over
2000fps.

Some guns will do that easily..others..not so well.

Gas checks come into play largely depending on powder burn rate THEN
speed.

Gunner

--

"
I was once told by a “gun safety” advocate back in the Nineties

I began to give him a reasoned answer and he
cut me off with an abrupt, “Give me the short answer.”

I thought for a moment and said, “If you try to take our firearms we will kill you.”"

---