Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Paint -- anyone else?

Just want to confirm some results -- wondering if anyone can back me up on this.

Aluminum part that I sanded for paint grab and cleaned with denatured alcohol.

I've tried a lot of paint techniques ranging from professional 2 part coatings, different primers etc but wanted something good for occasional use that I could get in a can.

(1) been priming with epoxy paint, let dry well and lightly sand to get smooth)
(2) 2nd coat, texture black

Ok, if you let dry for 30 days but here's what I recently did --

added another top coat of rustoleum ultra high temp black and baked in 250 oven for a few hours.

wow -- instant durability. (in a can, no less).

anyone else?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, March 19, 2014 6:49:42 AM UTC-7, mkr5000 wrote:
Just want to confirm some results -- wondering if anyone can back me up on this.

Aluminum part that I sanded for paint grab and cleaned with denatured alcohol.

I've tried a lot of paint techniques ranging from professional 2 part coatings, different primers etc but wanted something good for occasional use that I could get in a can.

(1) been priming with epoxy paint, let dry well and lightly sand to get smooth)

(2) 2nd coat, texture black

Ok, if you let dry for 30 days but here's what I recently did --

added another top coat of rustoleum ultra high temp black and baked in 250 oven for a few hours.

wow -- instant durability. (in a can, no less).

anyone else?

Get a home powder coating kit. They're cheap.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I've not tried this on aluminum, but how about letting the first coat of
epoxy paint cure until it is set but still a little tacky, and then spray on
the rustoleum. Should flow and look smooth, and should bind well to the
not-quite-cured epoxy. That's what the instructions for POR-15 epoxy paint
say to do - either let it fully cure, then lightly rough up with sandpaper,
then overpaint, or overpaint while still slightly tacky.

-----
Regards,
Carl Ijames
"mkr5000" wrote in message

Just want to confirm some results -- wondering if anyone can back me up on
this.

Aluminum part that I sanded for paint grab and cleaned with denatured
alcohol.

I've tried a lot of paint techniques ranging from professional 2 part
coatings, different primers etc but wanted something good for occasional use
that I could get in a can.

(1) been priming with epoxy paint, let dry well and lightly sand to get
smooth)
(2) 2nd coat, texture black

Ok, if you let dry for 30 days but here's what I recently did --

added another top coat of rustoleum ultra high temp black and baked in 250
oven for a few hours.

wow -- instant durability. (in a can, no less).

anyone else?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 19 Mar 2014 06:49:42 -0700 (PDT), mkr5000
wrote:

Just want to confirm some results -- wondering if anyone can back me up on this.

Aluminum part that I sanded for paint grab and cleaned with denatured alcohol.

I've tried a lot of paint techniques ranging from professional 2 part coatings, different primers etc but wanted something good for occasional use that I could get in a can.

(1) been priming with epoxy paint, let dry well and lightly sand to get smooth)
(2) 2nd coat, texture black

Ok, if you let dry for 30 days but here's what I recently did --

added another top coat of rustoleum ultra high temp black and baked in 250 oven for a few hours.

wow -- instant durability. (in a can, no less).

anyone else?

Hating long paint-curing times, I love the instant durability aspect,
Mike.

--
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes.
Art is knowing which ones to keep.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Carl --

actually I just recently tried that and it works even better than waiting for the epoxy primer to dry.

been spraying the epoxy primer, waiting about 15 minutes then doing a real nice spray pattern with the texture paint. having the texture binding with the epoxy made a difference.

but I must say, the real winner is the high heat paint and then the oven. better than a clear coat and I suppose I could just bypass the texture and go to the high heat if I wanted a smooth finish.

the high heat (rustoleum ultra) will keep i from fingernail scratches within hours, compared to letting the paint cure for 30 days or more. at least, that's what I'm getting.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have one -- harbor freight but I need to build a decent box for it -- too messy, powder goes everywhere.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, March 20, 2014 4:57:57 AM UTC-7, mkr5000 wrote:
I have one -- harbor freight but I need to build a decent box for it -- too messy, powder goes everywhere.

Suggest build a portable knock down spray booth like I have done in the past.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, March 19, 2014 9:49:42 AM UTC-4, mkr5000 wrote:
Just want to confirm some results -- wondering if anyone can back me up on this.

Aluminum part that I sanded for paint grab and cleaned with denatured alcohol.

I've tried a lot of paint techniques ranging from professional 2 part coatings, different primers etc but wanted something good for occasional use that I could get in a can.

(1) been priming with epoxy paint, let dry well and lightly sand to get smooth)

(2) 2nd coat, texture black

Ok, if you let dry for 30 days but here's what I recently did --

added another top coat of rustoleum ultra high temp black and baked in 250 oven for a few hours.

wow -- instant durability. (in a can, no less).

anyone else?

I used to do motorcycle engines by preheating them (sometimes just sitting out in the sun, other times in a 200°F oven and then spraying with plain Krylon flat black, then returning to the heat for a couple of hours. Those paint jobs were practically indestructible.