Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Welding Wire project

I'm going to make some squirrel traps fashioned on some I saw that work
pretty good. Basically, I'm going to use concrete wire, and lay them
together to get smaller squares. I need to know what you would suggest
to weld them together. I just got a new 115? Victor torch set, the
small one, so could use brazing wire (?). Would I use precoated wire,
or flux powder or paste? Or I could dial down the Miller 180 with some
..024" wire, and hope not to to have too many burn throughs. Which one
would you use?

Steve
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 17 Mar 2014 14:00:02 -0700, SteveB wrote:

I'm going to make some squirrel traps fashioned on some I saw that work
pretty good. Basically, I'm going to use concrete wire, and lay them
together to get smaller squares. I need to know what you would suggest
to weld them together. I just got a new 115? Victor torch set, the
small one, so could use brazing wire (?). Would I use precoated wire,
or flux powder or paste? Or I could dial down the Miller 180 with some
.024" wire, and hope not to to have too many burn throughs. Which one
would you use?

Steve

I vote for the Miller. If it's anything like my Lincoln SP125+ it
will work very well and FAST. If burn through becomes a problem
reverse the polarity.
Eric

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 17/03/14 21:00, SteveB wrote:
I'm going to make some squirrel traps fashioned on some I saw that
work pretty good. Basically, I'm going to use concrete wire, and lay
them together to get smaller squares. I need to know what you would
suggest to weld them together. I just got a new 115? Victor torch
set, the small one, so could use brazing wire (?). Would I use
precoated wire, or flux powder or paste? Or I could dial down the
Miller 180 with some .024" wire, and hope not to to have too many burn
throughs. Which one would you use?

Steve

If by concrete wire you mean something like 3mm wire weld mesh then use
the MIG. I've done it a number of times and even using around 140A with
a quick manually timed pulse it produces very good small tack welds at
the joint, you only need a fraction of a second and I find it easy to
get used to.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, March 17, 2014 4:35:57 PM UTC-7, David Billington wrote:
On 17/03/14 21:00, SteveB wrote:

I'm going to make some squirrel traps fashioned on some I saw that

work pretty good. Basically, I'm going to use concrete wire, and lay

them together to get smaller squares. I need to know what you would

suggest to weld them together. I just got a new 115? Victor torch

set, the small one, so could use brazing wire (?). Would I use

precoated wire, or flux powder or paste? Or I could dial down the

Miller 180 with some .024" wire, and hope not to to have too many burn

throughs. Which one would you use?

Steve

If by concrete wire you mean something like 3mm wire weld mesh then use

the MIG. I've done it a number of times and even using around 140A with

a quick manually timed pulse it produces very good small tack welds at

the joint, you only need a fraction of a second and I find it easy to

get used to.

Sounds like a job designed for a spot welder to me.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, March 17, 2014 5:00:02 PM UTC-4, SteveB wrote:
I'm going to make some squirrel traps fashioned on some I saw that work

pretty good. Basically, I'm going to use concrete wire, and lay them

together to get smaller squares.

Steve

Much easier to use hardware clothe. If the mesh is not less than an inch , they will manage to squeeze thru.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 17 Mar 2014 14:00:02 -0700, SteveB wrote:

I'm going to make some squirrel traps fashioned on some I saw that work
pretty good. Basically, I'm going to use concrete wire, and lay them
together to get smaller squares. I need to know what you would suggest
to weld them together. I just got a new 115? Victor torch set, the
small one, so could use brazing wire (?). Would I use precoated wire,
or flux powder or paste? Or I could dial down the Miller 180 with some
.024" wire, and hope not to to have too many burn throughs. Which one
would you use?

Steve

coated brazing rod, hands down.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 17 Mar 2014 23:35:57 +0000, David Billington
wrote:

On 17/03/14 21:00, SteveB wrote:
I'm going to make some squirrel traps fashioned on some I saw that
work pretty good. Basically, I'm going to use concrete wire, and lay
them together to get smaller squares. I need to know what you would
suggest to weld them together. I just got a new 115? Victor torch
set, the small one, so could use brazing wire (?). Would I use
precoated wire, or flux powder or paste? Or I could dial down the
Miller 180 with some .024" wire, and hope not to to have too many burn
throughs. Which one would you use?

Steve

If by concrete wire you mean something like 3mm wire weld mesh then use
the MIG. I've done it a number of times and even using around 140A with
a quick manually timed pulse it produces very good small tack welds at
the joint, you only need a fraction of a second and I find it easy to
get used to.

Missed the "concrete" - yea, use the miller. Brazing will take a lot
of heat from the torch.

Rotary welding table project steamer Metalworking 5 October 26th 11 05:04 PM
PICTURES of a recent welding project Wes[_5_] Metalworking 0 May 20th 10 11:07 PM
my welding project (update!) Rick Metalworking 6 January 3rd 06 04:15 AM
WELDING WIRE rambo Metalworking 3 August 21st 05 08:39 AM
Welding bench project Carl Byrns Metalworking 7 May 25th 05 02:38 AM