Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Welding Wire project

On Mon, 17 Mar 2014 23:35:57 +0000, David Billington
wrote:

On 17/03/14 21:00, SteveB wrote:
I'm going to make some squirrel traps fashioned on some I saw that
work pretty good. Basically, I'm going to use concrete wire, and lay
them together to get smaller squares. I need to know what you would
suggest to weld them together. I just got a new 115? Victor torch
set, the small one, so could use brazing wire (?). Would I use
precoated wire, or flux powder or paste? Or I could dial down the
Miller 180 with some .024" wire, and hope not to to have too many burn
throughs. Which one would you use?

Steve

If by concrete wire you mean something like 3mm wire weld mesh then use
the MIG. I've done it a number of times and even using around 140A with
a quick manually timed pulse it produces very good small tack welds at
the joint, you only need a fraction of a second and I find it easy to
get used to.

Missed the "concrete" - yea, use the miller. Brazing will take a lot
of heat from the torch.