Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Coming along nicely !

After much hemming and hawing , I decided I really DO need a boring head .
But after looking at prices I decided to use up some of that round stock
I've been saving . So I've now got a mandrel made of some 4140 , the body is
mostly machined and only needs the dovetails cut already slotted and the
lock screws drilled and tapped . I haven't yet started the slide ... both
body and slide are made from some 4140-type steel that I got from scrap .
it hardens like 4140 , machines like 4140 , and sparks like 4140 so ...
I have to decide whether to buy boring bars or make my own . I have a
piece of 1/2" 300-series SS can't remember if it's 303 or 304 but I'm not
sure if it's rigid enough . I also have a small pile of triangular carbide
inserts ... and I've already made a boring bar for the lathe that uses these
.. I guess I can make just one and see how it works before doing more . Hey ,
I got more time than anything now that I'm retired ... well , at least right
now , that will change as summer approaches .
--
Snag

EU invited nicely to piss off over nuclear power.. The Natural Philosopher[_2_] UK diy 22 October 18th 13 11:16 PM
Nice piece of nicely spalted beech B.White Woodworking Plans and Photos 1 November 5th 09 04:58 AM
Nicely done ... Swingman Woodworking 3 March 1st 09 07:28 PM
McDuffee -- Dangers of debt nicely illustrated Ignoramus17377 Metalworking 25 February 13th 09 03:35 AM
Motion Detector + Fluorescent Lights won't play nicely... Derrick Regalia Home Ownership 7 March 11th 05 03:23 PM