Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Solidworks anyone?

I just attended a Demo/hands on seminar yesterday in Germany. The thing is amazing. It is not only super user friendly, but you can do all kinds of stuff, from calculating mass, volume, and strength, to super realistic rendering. All for a price I can't afford! My last CadCam program was Bobcad 17. Things have evolved. This seems like a very serious option for people in industry, but I am a sole proprietor. I am looking at a tabletop trammel based 3 axis CNC mill to reduce the outsourcing costs I'm now paying. Can anyone recommend a software package which would have decent surfacing capability and be easy to use in the under 2k range?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 15 Feb 2014 04:16:10 -0800 (PST), robobass
wrote:

I just attended a Demo/hands on seminar yesterday in Germany. The thing is amazing. It is not only super user friendly, but you can do all kinds of stuff, from calculating mass, volume, and strength, to super realistic rendering. All for a price I can't afford!

Let's see, should I buy a new truck or a single seat of Solidworks?
Hard choice!

My last CadCam program was Bobcad 17. Things have evolved. This seems like a very serious option for people in industry, but I am a sole proprietor. I am looking at a tabletop trammel based 3 axis CNC mill to reduce the outsourcing costs I'm now paying. Can anyone recommend a software package which would have decent surfacing capability and be easy to use in the under 2k range?

I grabbed BobCAD+BobART 24 for the lower price, but for $2k, you can
have Aspire. Robatoy had that and loved it. http://www.vectric.com/
Download a demo and try it.

I lost my momentum last year and got high-centered on the project.
SOME day, I'll get off my ass and get the Green Monster running.

--
The most powerful factors in the world are clear
ideas in the minds of energetic men of good will.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, February 15, 2014 4:16:10 AM UTC-8, robobass wrote:
I just attended a Demo/hands on seminar yesterday in Germany. The thing is amazing. It is not only super user friendly, but you can do all kinds of stuff, from calculating mass, volume, and strength, to super realistic rendering. All for a price I can't afford! My last CadCam program was Bobcad 17.. Things have evolved. This seems like a very serious option for people in industry, but I am a sole proprietor. I am looking at a tabletop trammel based 3 axis CNC mill to reduce the outsourcing costs I'm now paying. Can anyone recommend a software package which would have decent surfacing capability and be easy to use in the under 2k range?

Autodesk now caters to Makers who don't have the funds and are willing to sell their sole to the devil:

http://fusion360.autodesk.com/resources

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, February 15, 2014 8:42:11 AM UTC-8, jon_banquer wrote:
On Saturday, February 15, 2014 4:16:10 AM UTC-8, robobass wrote:

I just attended a Demo/hands on seminar yesterday in Germany. The thing is amazing. It is not only super user friendly, but you can do all kinds of stuff, from calculating mass, volume, and strength, to super realistic rendering. All for a price I can't afford! My last CadCam program was Bobcad 17. Things have evolved. This seems like a very serious option for people in industry, but I am a sole proprietor. I am looking at a tabletop trammel based 3 axis CNC mill to reduce the outsourcing costs I'm now paying. Can anyone recommend a software package which would have decent surfacing capability and be easy to use in the under 2k range?

Autodesk now caters to Makers who don't have the funds and are willing to sell their sole to the devil:

http://fusion360.autodesk.com/resources

Perhaps they have mine already... soul not sole.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2/15/2014 4:16 AM, robobass wrote:
I just attended a Demo/hands on seminar yesterday in Germany. The thing is amazing. It is not only super user friendly, but you can do all kinds of stuff, from calculating mass, volume, and strength, to super realistic rendering. All for a price I can't afford! My last CadCam program was Bobcad 17. Things have evolved. This seems like a very serious option for people in industry, but I am a sole proprietor. I am looking at a tabletop trammel based 3 axis CNC mill to reduce the outsourcing costs I'm now paying. Can anyone recommend a software package which would have decent surfacing capability and be easy to use in the under 2k range?

look at Geomagic - Alibre

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, February 15, 2014 10:31:52 AM UTC-8, T.Alan Kraus wrote:
On 2/15/2014 4:16 AM, robobass wrote:

I just attended a Demo/hands on seminar yesterday in Germany. The thing is amazing. It is not only super user friendly, but you can do all kinds of stuff, from calculating mass, volume, and strength, to super realistic rendering. All for a price I can't afford! My last CadCam program was Bobcad 17. Things have evolved. This seems like a very serious option for people in industry, but I am a sole proprietor. I am looking at a tabletop trammel based 3 axis CNC mill to reduce the outsourcing costs I'm now paying. Can anyone recommend a software package which would have decent surfacing capability and be easy to use in the under 2k range?

look at Geomagic - Alibre

Alibre, now called Geomagic Design, is so weak at surfacing they have to rely on giving users a separate program:

http://www.alibre.com/products/moi-for-alibre.asp

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

robobass on Sat, 15 Feb 2014 04:16:10
-0800 (PST) typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
I just attended a Demo/hands on seminar yesterday in Germany. The thing is amazing. It is not only super user friendly, but you can do all kinds of stuff, from calculating mass, volume, and strength, to super realistic rendering. All for a price I can't afford! My last CadCam program was Bobcad 17. Things have evolved. This seems like a very serious option for people in industry, but I am a sole proprietor. I am looking at a tabletop trammel based 3 axis CNC mill to reduce the outsourcing costs I'm now paying. Can anyone recommend a software package which would have decent surfacing capability and be easy to use in the under 2k range?

Try getting a quote on a seat for Catia.
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I just attended a Demo/hands on seminar yesterday in Germany. The thing is amazing. It is not only super user friendly, but you can do all kinds of stuff, from calculating mass, volume, and strength, to super realistic rendering. All for a price I can't afford! My last CadCam program was Bobcad 17. Things have evolved. This seems like a very serious option for people in industry, but I am a sole proprietor. I am looking at a tabletop trammel based 3 axis CNC mill to reduce the outsourcing costs I'm now paying. Can anyone recommend a software package which would have decent surfacing capability and be easy to use in the under 2k range?

For surfacing I'd consider Rhino.
http://www.rhino3d.com/

Machine design/assembly modeling.
https://www.alibre.com/products/mainpage.asp

Don't get seduced by slick demos by an expert operator working on a
task he's chosen. SW is a capable modeler, but I wouldn't call it
"super user friendly" compared to its peers. SW is the third 3d
modeler I've used because it's what my current batch of customers use.
I wouldn't be upset, except for the pain in time and money, if I had
to switch to something else.

--
Ned Simmons