Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default SolidWorks [CAD] info

On Thursday, December 19, 2013 9:05:34 AM UTC-8, F. George McDuffee wrote:
On Tue, 10 Dec 2013 16:43:02 -0600, "David R. Birch"

wrote:

On 12/10/2013 12:02 PM, F. George McDuffee wrote:

This just hit my in-box and may be of interest to the group

http://www.solidworks.com/launch/pro...2013&pmid=4270

I was really eager to bring SW to my company, and last year we finally

did so.

In all the things I had read about it, no one ever mentioned that there

was no compatibility from release to release. If you wanted to open a

file created in SW10, you had to have SW10 installed on your system. It

didn't matter that you had SW12, SW13 or whatever. SW allows you to

install older releases than the one you bought. I sure want to install

umpteen versions of the same thing because my clients don't all have the

same release I do. What is especially grating is that SW will display

the CAD before it tells you it can't open it.

As it stands, to export a file, I'm better off saving it as a DWG or

DXF, which most CAD packages can handle.

David

========================

David and others that followed this unnecessarily

acrimonious thread.

Even when some of the postings were not initially correct,

civil discussion was helpful in indicating an area of

possible improvement at little to no cost, i.e. additional

training in using an existing cad package to more fully

utilize its capabilities.

This was the original intention of news group capability,

much as an extended coffee break.

We have not seen further postings by David, and the

unwarranted abuse he received may have prompted him to drop

this group, which would be a shame, as he appears to be a

working professional with much to offer the group, even if

he was not fully aware of all the capabilities of his

CAD/CAM package.

[An other explication is that no one wants to go on coffee

break with a bunch of shouting dorks and duffuses, even if

some of them are knowledgable about cnc.]

For a group New Year resolution I suggest we eliminate the

abuse and profanity, and concentrate on the primary area of

common interest, i.e. cnc, learn from each others mistakes,

think before we type and review/edit before we hit the send

button.

David R. Bitch posted misinformation and is a totally clueless SoldWorks user. You thanked him for posting misinformation because you're an imbecile when it comes to CADCAM. Thankfully, I and someone else put an end to both his and your bull****.

Suggest you stop posting anything about CADCAM till you get off your lazy ass and start learning it or I'm going to keep coming down on you like a ton of bricks.