Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default The Brand New SolidWorks: SolidWorks Mechanical Conceptual

Detailed videos are now available that show how SolidWorks Mechanical Conceptual works. This is the product many have been waiting years to see and it will eventually replace legacy code SolidWorks.

http://www.solidworks.com/sw/product...-overview.htm#

Full discussion of the impact of this new product can be found on my LinkedIn group.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, January 27, 2014 1:18:46 AM UTC-8, jon_banquer wrote:
Detailed videos are now available that show how SolidWorks Mechanical Conceptual works. This is the product many have been waiting years to see and it will eventually replace legacy code SolidWorks.

http://www.solidworks.com/sw/product...-overview.htm#

Full discussion of the impact of this new product can be found on my LinkedIn group.

Updated. See my LinkedIn group
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/27/2014 3:37 PM, jon_banquer wrote:
On Monday, January 27, 2014 1:18:46 AM UTC-8, jon_banquer wrote:
Detailed videos are now available that show how SolidWorks Mechanical Conceptual works. This is the product many have been waiting years to see and it will eventually replace legacy code SolidWorks.

http://www.solidworks.com/sw/product...-overview.htm#

Full discussion of the impact of this new product can be found on my LinkedIn group.

Updated. See my LinkedIn group

Well now...
This new stuff is a lot more polished looking, but...

Back in the late '80s I had a friend who was studying for his Masters
degree in mechanical engineering. He went a bit overboard on one of
his homework assignments. The task was to solve a simple linkage
assignment involving two degrees of freedom linkages.

But instead of working out that one assignment he wrote a mechanical
"editor". Draw the linkage on the screen and then "run" it on screen.
He added several report screens - velocity, forces, etc, which were
what the assignment called for.

He got his Masters a lot earlier than expected - just from that
homework assignment.

To morals to this story...

It pays to do your homework.
and
It only takes 30 years for a good idea to catch one!

Thanks for the link.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, January 27, 2014 3:50:54 PM UTC-8, Richard wrote:
[...]

What's going on with CADCAM right now is in many ways a huge step backward as companies like Autodesk and Dassault try and force users to rent forever and use CADCAM on a public cloud. If you stop paying rent your CADCAM application no longer works.

Companies like Autodesk have declared that they are moving all their software applications to the cloud and this is the only way you will be able to use them in a few years.

My LinkedIn group has very intense discussion about this. Today my LinkedIn group hit 1,500 members. I expect it to see 3,000 members by the end of 2014. It's an open group. Consider checking it out. Lots of good information that can't be found on Usenet. It's called CADCAM Technology Leaders.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, January 27, 2014 4:26:06 PM UTC-8, jon_banquer wrote:
[...]

Updated with new comments from direct modeling expert Paul Hamilton.

Read what thinks of SolidWorks Mechanical Conceptual interoperability problem with SolidWorks.