Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default My Toro 38025 Snowblower just stops spinning. Belts are tight.

My Toro 38025 Snowblower just stops spinning. The belts are tight and
good. I checked the belts because that is the most likely problem. This is
the first time I used it this year and it was going great and then
stopped. I cleared the snow out and it kinda spins again, but when I put
it down and try to go through the snow - even very shallow light snow - it
stops spinning quickly. RichMint

--
posted from
http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...gh-593162-.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-02-14, Mintroyale wrote:
My Toro 38025 Snowblower just stops spinning. The belts are tight and
good. I checked the belts because that is the most likely problem. This is
the first time I used it this year and it was going great and then
stopped. I cleared the snow out and it kinda spins again, but when I put
it down and try to go through the snow - even very shallow light snow - it
stops spinning quickly. RichMint

Is there a shear pin somewhere that may be sheared?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 13 Feb 2014 22:37:44 -0600, Ignoramus25526

On 2014-02-14, Mintroyale wrote:
My Toro 38025 Snowblower just stops spinning. The belts are tight and
good. I checked the belts because that is the most likely problem. This is
the first time I used it this year and it was going great and then
stopped. I cleared the snow out and it kinda spins again, but when I put
it down and try to go through the snow - even very shallow light snow - it
stops spinning quickly. RichMint

Is there a shear pin somewhere that may be sheared?

Sure sounds like it.

--
"You guess the truth hurts?

Really?

"Hurt" aint the word.

For Liberals, the truth is like salt to a slug.
Sunlight to a vampire.
Raid® to a cockroach.
Sheriff Brody to a shark
Bush to a Liberal

The truth doesn't just hurt. It's painful, like a red hot poker shoved
up their ass. Like sliding down a hundred foot razor blade using their
dick as a brake.

They HATE the truth."

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 14 Feb 2014 04:18:02 +0000, Mintroyale wrote:

My Toro 38025 Snowblower just stops spinning. The belts are tight and
good. I checked the belts because that is the most likely problem. This is
the first time I used it this year and it was going great and then
stopped. I cleared the snow out and it kinda spins again, but when I put
it down and try to go through the snow - even very shallow light snow - it
stops spinning quickly. RichMint

My own Ariens has shear pins & I've broken a good number of them; but
looking up the parts diagram I found here (I'm not sure this is your
blower)

http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=toro_consumer&mn=38025%2C+1800+Power+Curve+Sno wthrower%2C+1994+%28SN+49000001-49999999%29&dn=3316-355-6_355001-0001

I did not see any shear pins.

If the diagram looks like your blower; I would look at the "rotor
coupler" #46 -- mabe that, or the rotor itself is messed up; so that
power is not being applied to the rotor like it should. I'd also check
that pulleys are not just spinning on their shafts - but are actually
able to drive the rotor. If everything is as it should be- maybe the
electric motor is not prodcing normal power under load?

I'm not a service tech, so I may just be blowing air.

--
Email address is a Spam trap.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

My Toro 38025 Snowblower just stops spinning. The belts are tight and
good. I checked the belts because that is the most likely problem. This is
the first time I used it this year and it was going great and then
stopped. I cleared the snow out and it kinda spins again, but when I put
it down and try to go through the snow - even very shallow light snow - it
stops spinning quickly. RichMint

You popped the sheer pins???

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

My Toro 38025 Snowblower just stops spinning. The belts are tight and
good. I checked the belts because that is the most likely problem. This is
the first time I used it this year and it was going great and then
stopped. I cleared the snow out and it kinda spins again, but when I put
it down and try to go through the snow - even very shallow light snow - it
stops spinning quickly. RichMint

It's a snow "thrower" - single stage electric?? Toothed belts?
Likey stripped the teeth off the belt.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2/14/2014 6:18, Mintroyale wrote:
My Toro 38025 Snowblower just stops spinning. The belts are tight and
good. I checked the belts because that is the most likely problem. This is
the first time I used it this year and it was going great and then
stopped. I cleared the snow out and it kinda spins again, but when I put
it down and try to go through the snow - even very shallow light snow - it
stops spinning quickly. RichMint

Is there a simple friction clutch running the mechanism?
Perhaps the clutch needs adjusting. This is propable if the
motor doesn't stop.

Is there ice formed at the second stage? I once had Toro plower
that had the second stage frozen so that it wouldn't spin properly.
The ice was at the bottom of round space where the second stage
wheel spins. Had to take it to warm space to melt. After that I
always parked is so that the backside is higher than front, so any
water (snow melted by motor heat) flows away from second stage, and
never had the problem again.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2/15/14, 3:02 AM, phorbin wrote:
In article ,
says...

On 2014-02-14, Mintroyale wrote:
My Toro 38025 Snowblower just stops spinning. The belts are tight and
good. I checked the belts because that is the most likely problem. This is
the first time I used it this year and it was going great and then
stopped. I cleared the snow out and it kinda spins again, but when I put
it down and try to go through the snow - even very shallow light snow - it
stops spinning quickly. RichMint

Is there a shear pin somewhere that may be sheared?

Sure sounds like it.

FWIW my thought too.

It's an easy fix with replacement sheer pins.

My Toro auger has 2 sheer pins, one for each blade of the auger.

The impeller has two as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YcQ9K2EBiA

First, I have absolutely zero snow blower experience (but have seen them
being used on TV).

Having said that, I do have experience with equipment protected by shear
pins; and suggest keeping a few spares on hand. I can imagine what a
PITA it would be trying to scrounge up one in foul weather.

Good luck!

Erik

On 2014-02-14, Mintroyale wrote:
[...]

I leave the hand digging to younger people.

The spares are in my shop.

My next snowblower will come with garden tractor attached.

The original poster has an electric... AFAICT from a quick scan of the parts
list, his model doesn't have sheer bolts.

I've had electric motors on outdoor tools go. -- They would spin up but the
guts were gone.

What they had in common was this ....operator caused ....event, that took them
beyond ....spec..

Everything but the motor was fine.

One learns some lessons the hard way.

From what I've seen of the electric throwers, even the relatively light and dry
snow in London ON this year might be a more than they can handle if clearing
doesn't keep up with snowfall and the machines are pressed to work
faster/harder than their rated throughput.

The work done by my mid powered two stage this year makes the electrics around
here seem like ...corn whisks to me.