Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 1kw Laser Cleaning Gun Too Cool For Words

http://tinyurl.com/n83bc5q

ME WANT!

--
A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner, so if
one's life is cold and bare he can blame none but himself.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-02-01, Larry Jaques wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/n83bc5q

ME WANT!

Looks great. I keep wondering how it works exactly, why does it remove
paint and dirt, but not underlaying material.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-02-01, Larry Jaques wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/n83bc5q

ME WANT!

Looks great. I keep wondering how it works exactly, why does it remove
paint and dirt, but not underlaying material.

Maybe a selected wavelength only

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 01 Feb 2014 08:37:04 -0600, Ignoramus23944

On 2014-02-01, Larry Jaques wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/n83bc5q

ME WANT!

Looks great. I keep wondering how it works exactly, why does it remove
paint and dirt, but not underlaying material.

Yes, it probably explodes any moisture in the paint and dirt, helping
to erase it. It looks like it strobes the light in a pattern similar
to a paint spray gun, so it doesn't just burn through any given place.
I'd be willing to bet it takes awhile to get used to using it on
different substrates. It sure beats chem dips, though, doesn't it?

--
I have the consolation of having added nothing to my private fortune during
my public service, and of retiring with hands clean as they are empty.

Too bad -none- of the current CONgresscritters are willing to do that. -LJ
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , Larry Jaques
wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/n83bc5q

ME WANT!

They show a guy in ordinary clothes using this. I bet that he has a
helmet on, so he isn't blinded by the first focused glint.

Sunlight is about a kilowatt per square meter. If the actual beam is a
millimeter by a millimeter, the power density is a million to one over
sunlight.

And that cleaning beam can probably cut fingers off. Or clean to the
bone, at least at first.

And the laser is not in that handheld thing, which must be fed by a big
fiber bundle.

Joe Gwinn

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

It is just a function of absorption at the laser wavelength, melting point,
heat conductivity, film strength (some measure of how solid the material is)
and a few other minor contributors. A "dark" surface at the laser
wavelength will efficiently absorb the light, converting it to heat, which
will then either dissipate into the bulk if the conductivity is good, or
raise the surface temperature high enough fast enough to melt or at least
weaken the bond to the subsurface plus expand the surface causing the
surface layer to spall off if the conductivity and heat capacity are low
enough. If there is a layer of dark dirt on top of shiny metal that
reflects well at the laser wavelength the dirt gets blasted off while the
metal is just warmed up a little but not damaged. Focus the laser into a
small spot and the metal will also get drilled into - notice the "spot" is a
strip that looks like maybe 1/16" wide by maybe 2"? That keeps the peak
power below the damage threshold for metals, I'm guessing. What they don't
show in that video is the laser itself, a cart maybe 3' x 3' x 4' from the
pics on their website, and while I'm not up on the latest efficiencies to
get a kw average power out of a NdYAG laser is going to take at least 10 kw
if not 20 kw from the wall plug. That's 91 amps of single phase 220 V,
similar to a 200-300 amp welder (so 3 phase and higher voltage would be
better). I just wish they had a price on the website.

-----
Regards,
Carl Ijames

On 2014-02-01, Larry Jaques wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/n83bc5q

ME WANT!

Looks great. I keep wondering how it works exactly, why does it remove
paint and dirt, but not underlaying material.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

That's fricken scary!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus23944" wrote in
message ...
On 2014-02-01, Larry Jaques
wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/n83bc5q

ME WANT!

Looks great. I keep wondering how it works exactly, why does it
remove
paint and dirt, but not underlaying material.

Good question. I tried to learn how to use an excimer laser to dig
into an integrated circuit but never got the hang of it. I couldn't
completely sever a metallization trace on an upper layer without
gouging into the one below it.
jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 01 Feb 2014 12:05:53 -0500, Joe Gwinn
wrote:

In article , Larry Jaques
wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/n83bc5q

ME WANT!

They show a guy in ordinary clothes using this. I bet that he has a
helmet on, so he isn't blinded by the first focused glint.

If he doesn't have at least a pair of welding goggles on, he's a fool.

Sunlight is about a kilowatt per square meter. If the actual beam is a
millimeter by a millimeter, the power density is a million to one over
sunlight.

So it instantly "fades" the paint away? I see. bseg

And that cleaning beam can probably cut fingers off. Or clean to the
bone, at least at first.

It wouldn't be pretty to see, would it?

And the laser is not in that handheld thing, which must be fed by a big
fiber bundle.

What? My massively strong (5mw) laser pointer is handheld. I guess
a KW takes more than two AA batteries, huh? Looking at their website,
I guess their only mobile unit, a backpack, puts out just 20W.

--
I have the consolation of having added nothing to my private fortune during
my public service, and of retiring with hands clean as they are empty.
-- Thomas Jefferson, letter to Count Diodati, 1807

Too bad -none- of the current CONgresscritters are willing to do that. -LJ
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-02-01, Larry Jaques wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/n83bc5q

ME WANT!

Note that what it is cleaning off is all black -- maximum
absorption of the energy from the laser. I used to test a NdYAG pulsed
laser (near IR -- 1.06 uM IIRC) by blowing printed text off boxes and
labels. It would do nothing to the white areas, but would blast off the
black ink, leaving a slightly roughened area. And you *needed*
protective goggles whenever that beastie was fired up. Even more so with
the cleaning shown, as it cleaned to a shiny reflective surface. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 1 Feb 2014 15:33:35 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"

"Ignoramus23944" wrote in
message ...
On 2014-02-01, Larry Jaques
wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/n83bc5q

ME WANT!

Looks great. I keep wondering how it works exactly, why does it
remove
paint and dirt, but not underlaying material.

Good question. I tried to learn how to use an excimer laser to dig
into an integrated circuit but never got the hang of it. I couldn't
completely sever a metallization trace on an upper layer without
gouging into the one below it.

What kind of power control did you have over the laser beam?

And was the color of the PCB somewhat responsible for the problem in
control? I know some color bandwidths absorb more of certain
types/spectrums of lasers. Was eximer the proper color, or just the
only one they had for you to use to do the job? Which gas/color?

Tell us more, por favor!

--
I have the consolation of having added nothing to my private fortune during
my public service, and of retiring with hands clean as they are empty.
-- Thomas Jefferson, letter to Count Diodati, 1807

Too bad -none- of the current CONgresscritters are willing to do that. -LJ
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Sat, 1 Feb 2014 15:33:35 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"

"Ignoramus23944" wrote in
message ...
On 2014-02-01, Larry Jaques
wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/n83bc5q

ME WANT!

Looks great. I keep wondering how it works exactly, why does it
remove
paint and dirt, but not underlaying material.

Good question. I tried to learn how to use an excimer laser to dig
into an integrated circuit but never got the hang of it. I couldn't
completely sever a metallization trace on an upper layer without
gouging into the one below it.

What kind of power control did you have over the laser beam?

And was the color of the PCB somewhat responsible for the problem in
control? I know some color bandwidths absorb more of certain
types/spectrums of lasers. Was eximer the proper color, or just the
only one they had for you to use to do the job? Which gas/color?

Tell us more, por favor!

The ICs were still on the wafer. There were 3 wavelengths and a pulse
timing control. At that point I didn't understand integrated circuit
construction very well and was unsure what I was seeing anyway.
jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 1 Feb 2014 20:59:27 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 1 Feb 2014 15:33:35 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"

"Ignoramus23944" wrote in
message ...
On 2014-02-01, Larry Jaques
wrote:

[...]

That explains your results pretty well. What was under the
traces, a more volatile substrate than the trace itself?

Wasn't that in the Bible?
"Know Thine Enemy, iffen ya wanna lase it correctly!"

--
I have the consolation of having added nothing to my private fortune during
my public service, and of retiring with hands clean as they are empty.
-- Thomas Jefferson, letter to Count Diodati, 1807

Too bad -none- of the current CONgresscritters are willing to do that. -LJ
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-02-01, Larry Jaques wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/n83bc5q

ME WANT!

Me, too.

Note that what it is cleaning off is all black -- maximum
absorption of the energy from the laser. I used to test a NdYAG
pulsed laser (near IR -- 1.06 uM IIRC) by blowing printed text off
boxes and labels. It would do nothing to the white areas, but
would blast off the black ink, leaving a slightly roughened area.
And you *needed* protective goggles whenever that beastie was
fired up. Even more so with the cleaning shown, as it cleaned to
a shiny reflective surface. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

The first thing _I_ thought of when I viewed this clip was, "I wish I
could get rid of mildew on shower curtains and tile walls that
easily". I _don't_ think I want to try bleaching my shirt collars
with one. grin!

Anyone have any sense of how much power _that_ would require?

Oh, and is the laser in the video actually scanning, or is that a line
laser? ( Or can one tell? )

Jes' curious.

Frank McKenney
--
My father ... drilled into me from an early age that if someone says
something is impossible, that just means it will take a bit longer

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

They say on their website that it is a q switched diode pumped NdYAG laser.
If you listen close you can hear a tic tic tic simultaneous with each line
of cleaning. I took each tic to be a firing of the laser (so maybe 2-5
hz?), and then some cylindrical optics plus shaping the fiber bundle to
produce the line shaped "spot".

-----
Regards,
Carl Ijames

"Frnak McKenney" wrote in message
m...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2/1/2014 10:39 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

It sure beats chem dips, though, doesn't it?

--

....and wire brushes too!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe Gwinn wrote:
In article , Larry Jaques
wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/n83bc5q

ME WANT!

They show a guy in ordinary clothes using this. I bet that he has a
helmet on, so he isn't blinded by the first focused glint.

Sunlight is about a kilowatt per square meter. If the actual beam is
a millimeter by a millimeter, the power density is a million to one
over sunlight.

And that cleaning beam can probably cut fingers off. Or clean to the
bone, at least at first.

And the laser is not in that handheld thing, which must be fed by a
big fiber bundle.

That would make cutting the cable very dangerous.

I wonder if it can clean my oven and stovetop.

--

Reply in group, but if emailing, add a zero and remove the last word.