Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Sandblasting question

I got a vertical Husky compressor about 33 gallon from the looks of it.
I also have a Craftsman sandblaster, looks to hold a sack or so of
sand. What pressure is required to use that sandblaster? I imagine if
you go off and on rather than full on, it would work longer. Sorry, I
got it at a yard sale, no instructions.

If you want to tell me to google, that this has been answered before or
that I'm lazy, please engage your IGNORE button.

Steve
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-12-12, SteveB wrote:
I got a vertical Husky compressor about 33 gallon from the looks of it.
I also have a Craftsman sandblaster, looks to hold a sack or so of
sand. What pressure is required to use that sandblaster? I imagine if
you go off and on rather than full on, it would work longer. Sorry, I
got it at a yard sale, no instructions.

If you want to tell me to google, that this has been answered before or
that I'm lazy, please engage your IGNORE button.

Buy a regulator and try different pressures. I would start with 70 PSI.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 11 Dec 2013 22:18:59 -0600, Ignoramus7589

On 2013-12-12, SteveB wrote:
I got a vertical Husky compressor about 33 gallon from the looks of it.
I also have a Craftsman sandblaster, looks to hold a sack or so of
sand. What pressure is required to use that sandblaster? I imagine if
you go off and on rather than full on, it would work longer. Sorry, I
got it at a yard sale, no instructions.

If you want to tell me to google, that this has been answered before or
that I'm lazy, please engage your IGNORE button.

Buy a regulator and try different pressures. I would start with 70 PSI.

Depends what you are blasting, and what media you are using. Blasting
cast with sand you can use up to 120psi - blasting aluminum sheet with
plastic media or walnet shells 50psi might be too much.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

SteveB wrote:
I got a vertical Husky compressor about 33 gallon from the looks of it.
I also have a Craftsman sandblaster, looks to hold a sack or so of
sand. What pressure is required to use that sandblaster? I imagine if
you go off and on rather than full on, it would work longer. Sorry, I
got it at a yard sale, no instructions.

If you want to tell me to google, that this has been answered before or
that I'm lazy, please engage your IGNORE button.

Steve

What are you blasting? What size and type of nozzle? Pressure or siphon
feed? What media will you be using?

Heavy rusted steel using Black Majic will take 90-100 psi 10 CFM or more
with a small nozzle. 33 gallons might last you 30 seconds or so unless
the blaster is a tiny siphon flow one.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-12-12, SteveB wrote:
I got a vertical Husky compressor about 33 gallon from the looks of
it.
I also have a Craftsman sandblaster, looks to hold a sack or so
of
sand. What pressure is required to use that sandblaster? I
imagine if
you go off and on rather than full on, it would work longer.
Sorry, I
got it at a yard sale, no instructions.

If you want to tell me to google, that this has been answered
before or
that I'm lazy, please engage your IGNORE button.

Buy a regulator and try different pressures. I would start with 70
PSI.

I have a Sears sandbaster from the 1970's that holds the sand in a
pressurized screw-on cup. Its max rating is 50PSI.
http://c.searspartsdirect.com/lis_pn...6780-00003.png
jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-12-12, SteveB wrote:
I got a vertical Husky compressor about 33 gallon from the looks of it.
I also have a Craftsman sandblaster, looks to hold a sack or so of
sand. What pressure is required to use that sandblaster? I imagine if
you go off and on rather than full on, it would work longer. Sorry, I
got it at a yard sale, no instructions.

If you want to tell me to google, that this has been answered before or
that I'm lazy, please engage your IGNORE button.

Buy a regulator and try different pressures. I would start with 70 PSI.

Buy a regulator of a larger size than you air line so it isn't a choke
point, i.e. get a 3/4" regulator or better.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Anyone wanting to get objective opinions/advice for this sort of situation
should get pictures to show both the air compressor and the sandblaster.

A typical home shop 2 cylinder single-stage compressor (in very good working
condition) can only support a pressure feed sand wand/gun tip orifice of
about 1/8".. even then, there will likely need to be numerous pauses for the
compressor to catch up.

Sandblasting uses a lot of electrical energy for the work performed.. it's
much more cost effective to use paint strippers, wire brush, acid or
scraping methods to remove the majority of paint, rust or other
contamination, then use sandblasting only for deep pitted rust.
Some commercial corrosion prevention paints are surprisingly resistant to
sandblasting.

The concentration of the amount of abrasive in the air stream is a
significant factor when it comes to efficiency.. a mixer valve on a pressure
feed sandblaster needs to be adjusted when blasting media types or air
pressures are changed.

--
WB

"SteveB" wrote in message
I got a vertical Husky compressor about 33 gallon from the looks of it. I
also have a Craftsman sandblaster, looks to hold a sack or so of sand.
What pressure is required to use that sandblaster? I imagine if you go off
and on rather than full on, it would work longer. Sorry, I got it at a
yard sale, no instructions.

If you want to tell me to google, that this has been answered before or
that I'm lazy, please engage your IGNORE button.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 12 Dec 2013 07:27:27 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"

"Ignoramus7589" wrote in message
m...
On 2013-12-12, SteveB wrote:
[...]

The cup isnt pressureized. It syphons the sand out of the cup.

Its just a modified spray paint gun.

--
"Owning a sailboat is like marrying a nymphomaniac. You don’t want to do that
but it is great if your best friend does. That way you get all the benefits without any of the upkeep"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I have a Sears sandbaster from the 1970's that holds the sand in a
pressurized screw-on cup. Its max rating is 50PSI.
http://c.searspartsdirect.com/lis_pn...6780-00003.png
jsw

The cup isnt pressureized. It syphons the sand out of the cup.

Its just a modified spray paint gun.

It can be set up either way by moving a setscrew plug.
jsw

Sandblasting Big Les Wade UK diy 8 September 19th 12 05:15 PM
Outdoor sandblasting Ignoramus15734 Metalworking 13 August 20th 12 12:56 PM
Sandblasting Ignoramus24511 Metalworking 7 March 18th 09 02:55 AM
Sandblasting Bob Home Repair 5 September 25th 07 04:37 PM
Sandblasting Bob Home Repair 0 September 24th 07 05:47 PM