Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Boring out Atlas Lathe headstock?

Has anyone ever bored out the headstock of an Atlas 10" or 12" lathe? I
know it would ruin the #3 Morse taper in the headstock, but I seldom use it.
Besides, I have both a 10F and a 12" Craftsman.

If so, how far did you/would you dare to go?

Pete Stanaitis
---------------

PS I have been away from this ng for a month or two. I didn't think the
spam COULD get any worse, but it did! Why do people s**t in there own pen?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete S" fired this volley in
:

If so, how far did you/would you dare to go?

Not for nothin', but you still wouldn't get enough bore to be worth the
trouble. The current species of large-bore machines have MUCH larger
bearings and journals. Why ruin an otherwise useful machine?

If you really need a bigger bore, pretty it up and sell it (Atlas lathes
don't claim a high price), and buy a big-throated beast.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-12-06, Pete S wrote:
Has anyone ever bored out the headstock of an Atlas 10" or 12" lathe? I
know it would ruin the #3 Morse taper in the headstock, but I seldom use it.
Besides, I have both a 10F and a 12" Craftsman.

I have not done so.

If so, how far did you/would you dare to go?

First, take the spindle out and measure the OD at various
points. I would suggest at least 1/8" radial stock (1/4" diametrical)
left near the outboard end, and perhaps 1/4" radial near the chuck end.

And don't hang heavy chucks and workpieces on it after that.
Plan to fit it for collets, which will make maximum use of the through
diameter for the drawtube.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

. 3.70...
"Pete S" fired this volley in
:

If so, how far did you/would you dare to go?

Not for nothin', but you still wouldn't get enough bore to be worth the
trouble. The current species of large-bore machines have MUCH larger
bearings and journals. Why ruin an otherwise useful machine?

Answer: Your point is valid, but-----
Because I'm old and lazy and I have a lot of time and money invested it
tooling that won't transfer to the bigger lathe. Also, I don't have room
for a bigger footprint.

If you really need a bigger bore, pretty it up and sell it (Atlas lathes
don't claim a high price), and buy a big-throated beast.

Lloyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete S wrote:

Has anyone ever bored out the headstock of an Atlas 10" or 12"

lathe? I
know it would ruin the #3 Morse taper in the headstock, but I

seldom use
it.

Well, if you check out the meat available, I think you'd
decide any serious boring will weaken the spindle too
much. I wouldn't do it unless you wanted to pass 3/4"
stock through the back. Generally, it needs justy a HAIR
more clearance.

Jon

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Elson fired this volley in
:

Well, if you check out the meat available, I think you'd
decide any serious boring will weaken the spindle too
much. I wouldn't do it unless you wanted to pass 3/4"
stock through the back. Generally, it needs justy a HAIR
more clearance.

Exactly, and you wouldn't lose too much stability/retention of a headstock
taper doing that. But boring it out larger would just compromise the whole
machine. It would be a destructive act, and wouldn't improve your
situation at all.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 17:11:41 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Jon Elson fired this volley in
m:

Well, if you check out the meat available, I think you'd
decide any serious boring will weaken the spindle too
much. I wouldn't do it unless you wanted to pass 3/4"
stock through the back. Generally, it needs justy a HAIR
more clearance.

Exactly, and you wouldn't lose too much stability/retention of a headstock
taper doing that. But boring it out larger would just compromise the whole
machine. It would be a destructive act, and wouldn't improve your
situation at all.

Lloyd

Indeed. Ive had to try to get some lathes that have been bored bigger
, running.... over the years..and they will NEVER be right after that
is done. ****s up the rigidty of the spindle in strange and odd ways.

If the hole is too small..trade up to a bigger/different lathe.
Seriously. Best Ive ever seen is .125 bigger total ID. And that had
issues with spindle runout after a couple days. Ive seen them actually
bend .250 out of alighnment ..or more..

the lathe at that point..is ...done.

Gunner

--
"Owning a sailboat is like marrying a nymphomaniac. You don’t want to do that
but it is great if your best friend does. That way you get all the benefits without any of the upkeep"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

Indeed. Ive had to try to get some lathes that have been bored bigger
, running.... over the years..and they will NEVER be right after that
is done. ****s up the rigidty of the spindle in strange and odd ways.

If the hole is too small..trade up to a bigger/different lathe.

Yes, I did exactly that. I traded up from a 12" Atlas with a very
iffy 3/4" bore to a 15" Sheldon R15 with a 2.25" through hole and
D1-6 spindle. Whew, WHAT a difference! Of course the through hole
isn't the big deal, 3500 Lbs gives you a HUGE amount of rigidity,
which is what machining is all about.

Jon