Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Boring out Atlas Lathe headstock?

On 2013-12-06, Pete S wrote:
Has anyone ever bored out the headstock of an Atlas 10" or 12" lathe? I
know it would ruin the #3 Morse taper in the headstock, but I seldom use it.
Besides, I have both a 10F and a 12" Craftsman.

I have not done so.

If so, how far did you/would you dare to go?

First, take the spindle out and measure the OD at various
points. I would suggest at least 1/8" radial stock (1/4" diametrical)
left near the outboard end, and perhaps 1/4" radial near the chuck end.

And don't hang heavy chucks and workpieces on it after that.
Plan to fit it for collets, which will make maximum use of the through
diameter for the drawtube.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--