Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson Jon Elson is offline

Default Boring out Atlas Lathe headstock?

Gunner Asch wrote:

Indeed. Ive had to try to get some lathes that have been bored bigger
, running.... over the years..and they will NEVER be right after that
is done. ****s up the rigidty of the spindle in strange and odd ways.

If the hole is too small..trade up to a bigger/different lathe.

Yes, I did exactly that. I traded up from a 12" Atlas with a very
iffy 3/4" bore to a 15" Sheldon R15 with a 2.25" through hole and
D1-6 spindle. Whew, WHAT a difference! Of course the through hole
isn't the big deal, 3500 Lbs gives you a HUGE amount of rigidity,
which is what machining is all about.

Jon