Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tool making advice needed

Daughter's basement has a bathroom with rough plumbing only, done about 20 years ago. The closet flange is 90 degrees in the wrong direction. I tried prying it up with the hope that it was not glued (ABS Plastic) in place. Destroyed flange, and yes, it is glued. Flange is glued to the outside of a 3 inch 'street el'.

My only option is to chip out an inch or two of concrete and hack attempt to hack, carve away at the fitting leaving a reasonably round 3 inch (inside diameter) stub onto which I can properly glue an new flange.

Note that ABS gluing is a full weld and cannot be heated and pealed out unlike PVC. Also note that no tool exists for cutting off the excess from outside of a 3" pipe. They do make reamers to remove an internal glue job. They cost close to $ 300.

Anyway, I need ideas on how to make a tool that I can spin in my heavy duty drill that would "circumsise" this pipe. I am thinking of a piston-like guide that would fit inside the 3" bore with a 'fly-cutter' type tool mounted thereon that would shave off the material on the outside of this pipe.

Any ideas on what I could cobble together real fast would be appreciated. I do have a lathe and a vertical mill. By fast, I mean less than 4-6 hours in tool making because any longer and I could saw cut the concrete, cut off the elbow, glue on ABS fittings and re-patch the floor.

I do own a boring head and am wondering how to machine/attach a guide that would keep the whole assembly honest (concentric).

BTW, plumbing supply stores tell me that no one makes a closet flange that will fit inside a 3" pipe. Only options are 'outside a 3" pipe', or, 'inside a 4" pipe'. Gluing inside a 3" pipe would constrict the turds to 2-1/2" clearance, which does not meet code, ergo nobody makes such a fitting.

Thanks for all advice!

Ivan Vegvary
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 27/11/2013 12:16 PM, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
[...]

I can't clearly visualise what you are describing....

Are you sure its not easier to fabricate your own fitting to fit inside
a 4" pipe?

Make up a short PVC sleeve to couple up to an available connector?
Surely you wouldn't lose 1/2" in turd clearance?

Good luck, repairing ****ter plumbing sucks big time.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks Kennedy. The pipe is 3" inside diameter. Toilet flange needs to be glued to the outside. There already is one glued to the outside that needs to be removed. How to remove and leave a decent surface for the new flange?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message
[...]

==========

Could you remove the roller chain from a pipe or muffler cutter and
make end stirrups to operate it with Vise-Grips?
jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ivan Vegvary wrote:
[...]

Find a better plumbing supply place.....

Ez-Flo 40006

http://www.amazon.com/Ez-Flo-40006-W.../dp/B005E1VSH4

Have used these a few times in trailer repairs. I add a ring of silicone
just in case. Never had a problem yet.

--
Steve W.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hi Steve W.
That's exactly what I need. I was told by three supply houses that nobody makes anything like that. While the inside diameter is less than the minimum code of 3", I'll simply have all users take laxatives.
Thank you again!
Ivan Vegvary
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

First, you screwed up when you pried on the flange. The fastest solution
would have been to drill holes at the proper positions, into the concrete,
through the flange and mount a couple of 1/4-20 studs in redheads.

If you have enough vertical pipe under the flange, the pushtite flange Steve
suggested will work just fine.

If not, realize that the flange just gives the wax ring some place to
squish. Attaching the mounting bolt to the flange is important on a wood
floor where vibration allows the floor to move differently from the stack ,
but on a concrete floor they can just go into the concrete.

I would make a guide for a hole saw that fits the center and use a holesaw
to cut off the fitting.

I would bore out a replacement fitting to slip over whatever the holesaw
left. Glue on the fitting. Double seal any gaps with the pipe with silicone.
Screw the flange to the concrete and use the previously mentioned redheads
to mount the toilet (this way, the home fitted flange is not relied on
structurally).

Paul K. Dickman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Paul, thanks for the good advice. I think that I am going to cut off the flange part of the exiting ABS fitting and screw a new metal "flange only" to the concrete as you had suggested. With the wax ring everything should still seal just fine. Thanks!
Ivan Vegvary

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

So sorry , having problems posting. Anyway does anyone here have inside dimensions on 3" cast iron? If so Ivan have a look at this little lifesaver. It may save you some tome. They are also available in 4"

http://www.amazon.com/Oatey-43654-Tw.../dp/B0044FT9EA

Good luck with it Lyndell

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Finally here is the one you need Ivan. Price right as well. Good Luck.
Lyndell

http://www.amazon.com/Sioux-Chief-88...ef=pd_sim_hi_5