Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Heavy duty sewing shops?

I have a military M923 truck that I want to sell soon. This truck has
a heavy vinyl "soft top" for the cab, which is supposed to be attached
to a C shaped rubbery plastic strip that is used to hook it up to the
cab.

I have both the top and the strip. At some point, they were sewn
together, but the seam came apart. This is unsightly. I want to find
some shop that can sew such thick and hard stuff together.

Does someone know what sort of business I should look for in yellow
pages. I tried some searches and did not come up with much.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/16/2013 7:01 AM, Ignoramus26083 wrote:
I have both the top and the strip. At some point, they were sewn
together, but the seam came apart. This is unsightly. I want to find
some shop that can sew such thick and hard stuff together.

Does someone know what sort of business I should look for in yellow
pages. I tried some searches and did not come up with much.

Try looking for places that make awnings or tents. Another place would
be automotive upholstery shops.

BobH

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus26083 wrote:
I have a military M923 truck that I want to sell soon. This truck has
a heavy vinyl "soft top" for the cab, which is supposed to be attached
to a C shaped rubbery plastic strip that is used to hook it up to the
cab.

I have both the top and the strip. At some point, they were sewn
together, but the seam came apart. This is unsightly. I want to find
some shop that can sew such thick and hard stuff together.

Does someone know what sort of business I should look for in yellow
pages. I tried some searches and did not come up with much.

Look for a place that does boat canvas or tent making. Also auto
upholstery or leather work.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 16 Nov 2013 08:01:09 -0600, Ignoramus26083 wrote:

I have a military M923 truck that I want to sell soon. This truck has a
heavy vinyl "soft top" for the cab, which is supposed to be attached to
a C shaped rubbery plastic strip that is used to hook it up to the cab.

I have both the top and the strip. At some point, they were sewn
together, but the seam came apart. This is unsightly. I want to find
some shop that can sew such thick and hard stuff together.

Does someone know what sort of business I should look for in yellow
pages. I tried some searches and did not come up with much.

If you haven't figured it out yet, "Upholstery" is the common keyword.
Auto upholstery shops generally do tops, as well. Not only will they
have the equipment to do the job, but they'll have worked on convertible
tops, too, and will understand what's going on.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I have a military M923 truck that I want to sell soon. This truck has
a heavy vinyl "soft top" for the cab, which is supposed to be attached
to a C shaped rubbery plastic strip that is used to hook it up to the
cab.

I have both the top and the strip. At some point, they were sewn
together, but the seam came apart. This is unsightly. I want to find
some shop that can sew such thick and hard stuff together.

Does someone know what sort of business I should look for in yellow
pages. I tried some searches and did not come up with much.

Seek an upholstery shop or auto upholstery shop, Ig. They'll have
walking-foot machines which can take thick, tough stuff.

Ditto a sail shop, but they'll probably want 3x the price for it,
unless you find one really needing extra work in the winter...

Alternatively, buy a used walking-foot machine and give it to your
wifey. Then help her do it. Remind her that she can make her own
convertible tops, drapes, and upholstery covers with it, too!

--
We are always the same age inside.
-- Gertrude Stein

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

OK, great, upholstery and shoe repair ought to do it. Thanks guys.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...achinesForSale

--
Liberals want everyone to think like them.
Conservatives want everyone to think.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus26083 fired this volley in
:

OK, great, upholstery and shoe repair ought to do it. Thanks guys.

No, no! Go to an Awning Shop! They make _exactly_ what you're seeking to
build.

They are not only equipped with the heavy-duty sewing equipment, but are
prepared to handle HUGE swaths of material!

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

If only they were walking-foot, I'd come down and buy one, Gunner.

--
We are always the same age inside.
-- Gertrude Stein
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I have a military M923 truck that I want to sell soon. This truck has
a heavy vinyl "soft top" for the cab, which is supposed to be attached
to a C shaped rubbery plastic strip that is used to hook it up to the
cab.

I have both the top and the strip. At some point, they were sewn
together, but the seam came apart. This is unsightly. I want to find
some shop that can sew such thick and hard stuff together.

Does someone know what sort of business I should look for in yellow
pages. I tried some searches and did not come up with much.

Do heavy trucks use tarpaulins to cover loads in your country? Maybe
ask at a trucking company where the get them or get them repaired.

Or a sailmaker :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Id make you one hell of a deal.

Gunner

--
Liberals want everyone to think like them.
Conservatives want everyone to think.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 16/11/2013 10:01 PM, Ignoramus26083 wrote:
I have a military M923 truck that I want to sell soon. This truck has
a heavy vinyl "soft top" for the cab, which is supposed to be attached
to a C shaped rubbery plastic strip that is used to hook it up to the
cab.

I have both the top and the strip. At some point, they were sewn
together, but the seam came apart. This is unsightly. I want to find
some shop that can sew such thick and hard stuff together.

Does someone know what sort of business I should look for in yellow
pages. I tried some searches and did not come up with much.

Truck tarpaulin maker or repairer.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...achinesForSale

If only they were walking-foot, I'd come down and buy one, Gunner.

Id make you one hell of a deal.

Alas, they aren't walking-foot models. sigh

--
We are always the same age inside.
-- Gertrude Stein
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...achinesForSale

If only they were walking-foot, I'd come down and buy one, Gunner.

Id make you one hell of a deal.

Alas, they aren't walking-foot models. sigh

Cheapest "industrial "walking foot on Ebay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Singer-model...-/271310138411

There are several others that may be suitable for slightly less
money..but they arent "Industrial"

.. When searching Ebay..check in the 175 and up price range (Search
price and shipping lowest first)..probably page 2 is a good start.

Gunner

--
Liberals want everyone to think like them.
Conservatives want everyone to think.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Then you could repair your Judy blow-up doll yourself!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...achinesForSale

If only they were walking-foot, I'd come down and buy one, Gunner.

Id make you one hell of a deal.

Alas, they aren't walking-foot models. sigh

--
We are always the same age inside.
-- Gertrude Stein

You'd like them in high heels, wouldn't you?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...achinesForSale

If only they were walking-foot, I'd come down and buy one, Gunner.

Id make you one hell of a deal.

Alas, they aren't walking-foot models. sigh

Cheapest "industrial "walking foot on Ebay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Singer-model...-/271310138411

There are several others that may be suitable for slightly less
money..but they arent "Industrial"

. When searching Ebay..check in the 175 and up price range (Search
price and shipping lowest first)..probably page 2 is a good start.

WOW! A brand new Toyota for $379, delivered! Alas, I don't need a
-new- one at the moment, even at that price. The glare guards aren't
a hot selling item any more. I need to design one and start building
them for tablets.

The $139 Morse + $39 s/h is a sweet price...

Nah, I'll need a new pressure washer first.