Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Heavy duty C clamps

I have a question about "heavy duty C clamps". By these, I do not mean
regular clamps, but ones with extremely thick (in relation to their
length) bodies. They are much heavier than would be required to simply
hold some parts together to be welded, or worked on. Those must have
some special uses, and I cannot think of any.

Examples

https://www.armstrongtools.com/catal...p?groupID=1096

The one below is the one I am looking at (cleaned up one today), it
seems to be a poor man's press:

http://www.drillspot.com/products/33...y_Duty_C_Clamp

With the load capacity of 27,500 lbs, it can develop 12 ton force.

Who would need that in a clamp?

Have you ever needed one?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus8051" wrote in message
I have a question about "heavy duty C clamps". By these, I do not mean
regular clamps, but ones with extremely thick (in relation to their
length) bodies. They are much heavier than would be required to simply
hold some parts together to be welded, or worked on. Those must have
some special uses, and I cannot think of any.

Examples

https://www.armstrongtools.com/catal...p?groupID=1096

The one below is the one I am looking at (cleaned up one today), it
seems to be a poor man's press:

http://www.drillspot.com/products/33...y_Duty_C_Clamp

With the load capacity of 27,500 lbs, it can develop 12 ton force.

Who would need that in a clamp?

Lifting steel plates and bars as well as flipping them over with chains and
a hoist.

Have you ever needed one?

Yes, but they are still dangerous as hell. I only used the things enough to
get handling holes drilled and tapped.

JC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-05-17, John R. Carroll jcarroll@ubu wrote:
Lifting steel plates and bars as well as flipping them over with chains and
a hoist.

Seems scary. On a second thought, another use for them would be
straightening things.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Obviously, higher quality, more heavy duty clamps are less likely to flex
when being used at reasonable clamping pressures.

Durability.. it's not likely to wear out, ever, if used below it's rated
capacity.

A flexing C-clamp is about worthless, as many are, that are commonly seen in
stores.
If a common, light duty C-clamp isn't being used on wood or other soft
material, it's easy to overtighten them to a point where the C frame is
sprung from flex.

For a cheap heavy duty C-clamp, buy an imported ball joint press kit. That's
about as heavy a C frame as you'll find. The kit I bought was over $200 less
than the referenced Wilton clamp.
Better yet, but not cheap.. buy a quality brand name domestic tool maker's
ball joint kit, which is likely to be a higher quality alloy, not cast iron.

If space isn't a problem, there are accessory C frame attachments available
for 10-ton Porta-Power cylinders.. I've got one, and it looks like a 10-ton
micrometer when assembled.
It weighs considerably more than the 20k lb capacity Armstrong clamp that
weighs 10lbs.

--
WB
metalworking projects

Stryped's brother "Ignoramus8051" wrote
in message ...
I have a question about "heavy duty C clamps". By these, I do not mean
regular clamps, but ones with extremely thick (in relation to their
length) bodies. They are much heavier than would be required to simply
hold some parts together to be welded, or worked on. Those must have
some special uses, and I cannot think of any.

Examples

https://www.armstrongtools.com/catal...p?groupID=1096

The one below is the one I am looking at (cleaned up one today), it
seems to be a poor man's press:

http://www.drillspot.com/products/33...y_Duty_C_Clamp

With the load capacity of 27,500 lbs, it can develop 12 ton force.

Who would need that in a clamp?

Have you ever needed one?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.drillspot.com/products/33...xtra_Heavy_Dut...

With the load capacity of 27,500 lbs, it can develop 12 ton force.

Who would need that in a clamp?

Have you ever needed one?

It's the answer to the question of how you keep bridge girders in
place while welding/riveting them.

Stan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"John R. Carroll" wrote in message

[...]

No one I know would use such an expensive clamp to lift with when a plate
clamp is so much cheaper, safer, and dependable. They must have other uses.
Personally, I have used big C clamps to draw plates together. You weld dogs
onto the plate to clamp the steel. Have also used cut wedges and L shaped
dogs.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-05-17, John R. Carroll jcarroll@ubu wrote:
Lifting steel plates and bars as well as flipping them over with

chains and
a hoist.

Seems scary. On a second thought, another use for them would be
straightening things.

Working with heavy plates, they are rarely dead flat, so need
pullling together for welding, rivetting etc. With a 1" plate you need
a good strong force to get them snug.

AWEM

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 17 May 2009 00:02:44 -0500, Ignoramus8051
wrote:

I have a question about "heavy duty C clamps". By these, I do not mean
regular clamps, but ones with extremely thick (in relation to their
length) bodies. They are much heavier than would be required to simply
hold some parts together to be welded, or worked on. Those must have
some special uses, and I cannot think of any.

Examples

https://www.armstrongtools.com/catal...p?groupID=1096

The one below is the one I am looking at (cleaned up one today), it
seems to be a poor man's press:

http://www.drillspot.com/products/33...y_Duty_C_Clamp

With the load capacity of 27,500 lbs, it can develop 12 ton force.

Who would need that in a clamp?

Have you ever needed one?

Yes, I have. And was happy as a bird when I found 4 of them I could use
fr the job!

Gunner

"Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with
minimum food or water,in austere conditions, day and night. The only thing
clean on him is his weapon. He doesn't worry about what workout to do---
his rucksack weighs what it weighs, and he runs until the enemy stops chasing him.
The True Believer doesn't care 'how hard it is'; he knows he either wins or he dies.
He doesn't go home at 1700; he is home. He knows only the 'Cause.' Now, who wants to quit?"

NCOIC of the Special Forces Assessment and Selection Course in a welcome speech to new SF candidates
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-05-17, John R. Carroll jcarroll@ubu wrote:
Lifting steel plates and bars as well as flipping them over with chains
and
a hoist.

Seems scary.

It was and I bought a lifting magnet as soon as I could aford one.

On a second thought, another use for them would be
straightening things.

We also used them to clamp work to big angle plates on our horizontal boring
mill.
You don't generally straighten things in a mold shop.

JC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have used one of these clamps to replace lower control arm ball joints of
a motor vehicle. Saves having to remove the control arm and spring.
--
Regards,

Chas.

(To email me, replace "xxx" with letters tango papa golf.)

"Ignoramus8051" wrote in message
I have a question about "heavy duty C clamps". By these, I do not mean
regular clamps, but ones with extremely thick (in relation to their
length) bodies. They are much heavier than would be required to simply
hold some parts together to be welded, or worked on. Those must have
some special uses, and I cannot think of any.

Examples

https://www.armstrongtools.com/catal...p?groupID=1096

The one below is the one I am looking at (cleaned up one today), it
seems to be a poor man's press:

http://www.drillspot.com/products/33...y_Duty_C_Clamp

With the load capacity of 27,500 lbs, it can develop 12 ton force.

Who would need that in a clamp?

Have you ever needed one?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-05-17, Chas wrote:
I have used one of these clamps to replace lower control arm ball joints of
a motor vehicle. Saves having to remove the control arm and spring.

Here's a picture of one:

http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp/tmp-4463.jpg

This one, I definitely am not going to sell. But I have some partial
ones that I will sell.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-05-17, Chas wrote:
I have used one of these clamps to replace lower control arm ball joints of
a motor vehicle. Saves having to remove the control arm and spring.

Here's a picture of one:

http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp/tmp-4463.jpg

This one, I definitely am not going to sell. But I have some partial
ones that I will sell.

Over kill for can crushing