Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Chas[_3_] Chas[_3_] is offline

Default Heavy duty C clamps

I have used one of these clamps to replace lower control arm ball joints of
a motor vehicle. Saves having to remove the control arm and spring.
--
Regards,

Chas.

(To email me, replace "xxx" with letters tango papa golf.)

"Ignoramus8051" wrote in message
I have a question about "heavy duty C clamps". By these, I do not mean
regular clamps, but ones with extremely thick (in relation to their
length) bodies. They are much heavier than would be required to simply
hold some parts together to be welded, or worked on. Those must have
some special uses, and I cannot think of any.

Examples

https://www.armstrongtools.com/catal...p?groupID=1096

The one below is the one I am looking at (cleaned up one today), it
seems to be a poor man's press:

http://www.drillspot.com/products/33...y_Duty_C_Clamp

With the load capacity of 27,500 lbs, it can develop 12 ton force.

Who would need that in a clamp?

Have you ever needed one?