Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Heavy duty C clamps

Obviously, higher quality, more heavy duty clamps are less likely to flex
when being used at reasonable clamping pressures.

Durability.. it's not likely to wear out, ever, if used below it's rated
capacity.

A flexing C-clamp is about worthless, as many are, that are commonly seen in
stores.
If a common, light duty C-clamp isn't being used on wood or other soft
material, it's easy to overtighten them to a point where the C frame is
sprung from flex.

For a cheap heavy duty C-clamp, buy an imported ball joint press kit. That's
about as heavy a C frame as you'll find. The kit I bought was over $200 less
than the referenced Wilton clamp.
Better yet, but not cheap.. buy a quality brand name domestic tool maker's
ball joint kit, which is likely to be a higher quality alloy, not cast iron.

If space isn't a problem, there are accessory C frame attachments available
for 10-ton Porta-Power cylinders.. I've got one, and it looks like a 10-ton
micrometer when assembled.
It weighs considerably more than the 20k lb capacity Armstrong clamp that
weighs 10lbs.

--
WB
metalworking projects

Stryped's brother "Ignoramus8051" wrote
in message ...
I have a question about "heavy duty C clamps". By these, I do not mean
regular clamps, but ones with extremely thick (in relation to their
length) bodies. They are much heavier than would be required to simply
hold some parts together to be welded, or worked on. Those must have
some special uses, and I cannot think of any.

Examples

https://www.armstrongtools.com/catal...p?groupID=1096

The one below is the one I am looking at (cleaned up one today), it
seems to be a poor man's press:

http://www.drillspot.com/products/33...y_Duty_C_Clamp

With the load capacity of 27,500 lbs, it can develop 12 ton force.

Who would need that in a clamp?

Have you ever needed one?