Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Automatic drain for compressor that drains into a bucket

I have a 10 HP compressor that we use quite a bit, so it accumulates a
fair amount of water in the tank.

The tank is a horizontal tank with a drain on the bottom.

I would like to find some good solution to draining that water that
would quietly drain water into a bucket. I recall seeing one drain
like this at some factory. I do not remember how it worked, but it was
some copper line from the compressor bottom, going up, then there was
something clever, and it drained nicely into a bucket.

A lot of "electronic" drains simply open a valve every 45 seconds. I
do not like this design, as it wastes air and is noisy.

Also note that if I drain the bottom of a horizontal tank, water would
be mixed with air, so the drain needs to be able to deal with that.

Any suggestions?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 12 Nov 2013 11:50:30 -0600, Ignoramus11549
wrote:

I have a 10 HP compressor that we use quite a bit, so it accumulates a
fair amount of water in the tank.

The tank is a horizontal tank with a drain on the bottom.

I would like to find some good solution to draining that water that
would quietly drain water into a bucket. I recall seeing one drain
like this at some factory. I do not remember how it worked, but it was
some copper line from the compressor bottom, going up, then there was
something clever, and it drained nicely into a bucket.

A lot of "electronic" drains simply open a valve every 45 seconds. I
do not like this design, as it wastes air and is noisy.

Also note that if I drain the bottom of a horizontal tank, water would
be mixed with air, so the drain needs to be able to deal with that.

Any suggestions?

Anytime you drain water off the bottom of a compressed air tank..it
can be noisy. fact of life. Now..if you route that drain house
outside or somewhere not in your hearing...it becomes much less noisy.

And most of the automatic drains are programmable...5 minutes, 30
minutes...1 hour...6 hours etc

The elves wont do it for you unless you have really really good
connections.

There are some that might fit your requirements...but wallet shock may
be impressive..

http://www.nationalpneumatic.com/img...tic-drains.pdf

http://www.amazon.com/Electronic-Auo.../dp/B00273WV78

and of course...Harbor Freight sells a decent enough unit.

Gunner

--
Liberals want everyone to think like them.
Conservatives want everyone to think.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

The nameless company that is trying to get us a properly operating
nitrogen generating system sent an automatic air compressor drain unit.
It supposedly senses the amount of water in the tank and at a set point,
releases it into a plastic tube to a muffled water/oil separation tank.
What they didn't consider is the air tank is horizontal and only 3
inches off the floor. So, we still have a manual valve to drain the
tank. The drain from the air dryer also goes to the muffler/oil
separator box.

Iggy, if you have a tank bottom close to the floor, you will have to
raise it for any automatic drain mechanism.

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I have a 10 HP compressor that we use quite a bit, so it accumulates a
fair amount of water in the tank.

The tank is a horizontal tank with a drain on the bottom.

I would like to find some good solution to draining that water that
would quietly drain water into a bucket. I recall seeing one drain
like this at some factory. I do not remember how it worked, but it was
some copper line from the compressor bottom, going up, then there was
something clever, and it drained nicely into a bucket.

A lot of "electronic" drains simply open a valve every 45 seconds. I
do not like this design, as it wastes air and is noisy.

Also note that if I drain the bottom of a horizontal tank, water would
be mixed with air, so the drain needs to be able to deal with that.

Any suggestions?

you want a muffler on the exhaust. how fancy do you want to get?
a 1/4 line going vertical to a long 2" pipe that slopes down to the
bucket would reduce noise a lot.

You could buy a stainless steel muffler with the same 1/4 line and not
even hear it

karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Would a bucket trap work? I know them from steam service. Here's a
link.
http://www.armstronginternational.co...nverted-bucket

Pete Keillor

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

It kind of does resemble what I saw. Thanks.

Do they only work in-line with flow, or at the end of the line, like
compressor drains?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I have a 10 HP compressor that we use quite a bit, so it accumulates a
fair amount of water in the tank.

The tank is a horizontal tank with a drain on the bottom.

I would like to find some good solution to draining that water that
would quietly drain water into a bucket. I recall seeing one drain
like this at some factory. I do not remember how it worked, but it was
some copper line from the compressor bottom, going up, then there was
something clever, and it drained nicely into a bucket.

A lot of "electronic" drains simply open a valve every 45 seconds. I
do not like this design, as it wastes air and is noisy.

Also note that if I drain the bottom of a horizontal tank, water would
be mixed with air, so the drain needs to be able to deal with that.

Any suggestions?

Firstly build a drain system that can drain from one end of a
horizontal tank and then mount the tank with a slight tilt toward that
end.

Next have a look at
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...7368_200397368
A float valve operated valve.

I worked in one shop that had a similar device and it worked well.
--
Cheers,

John B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Correct. A couple 4x4s work nicely

You only need about 4" of room for most of them, although the
electonic ones only need an inch or two with an elbow.

However you will likely have to lift the tank to screw it all
together.

--
Liberals want everyone to think like them.
Conservatives want everyone to think.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I've only seen them at the end of the line on steam. I expect it'd be
the same for the air-water case.

Condensate traps are all over steam systems. The condensate is of
course much more of a problem, since steam mostly condenses to do its
work. Condensate in the lines can cause a fierce water hammer that
can destroy a lot of stuff in a spectacular manner.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

The one I remember, and I don't know if it was the same make or model,
was at the shop end of a long, probably 150 - 200 ft., black iron air
line. There was a sort of air strainer/filter sort of thing and this
float operated valve was on the bottom of that.

the history was that the compressor was over at the sheet metal shop
end of the hanger and the pipe ran up to the ceiling, down the hanger
to our shop and then straight down to the valve and connection. First
the boss put this filter thing on and we got water out of the line;
then he put a small water separator on the line and the guys always
forgot to drain it and we got water out of the line and finally he
added this float valve and we never got any more water :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

They need an air dryer!

I bought 64 air dryers from the govt yesterday. Maybe they can buy
some from me!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

No. I guess my explanation was too brief.

First they installed the air line to give our shop compressed air. The
line became almost a water line due to condensation. Next step, the
Shop Chief installed a little filter and water collecting tank but the
guys in the shop never remembered to drain the water catcher so there
was still water. Finally, the Shop Chief installed this automatic
float operated valve thingee that drained water without depending on
the guys in the shop to remember to do it :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-11-14, John B wrote:

No. I guess my explanation was too brief.

First they installed the air line to give our shop compressed air. The
line became almost a water line due to condensation. Next step, the
Shop Chief installed a little filter and water collecting tank but the
guys in the shop never remembered to drain the water catcher so there
was still water. Finally, the Shop Chief installed this automatic
float operated valve thingee that drained water without depending on
the guys in the shop to remember to do it :-)

Yes, and if they had a dryer, they would not have these problems.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus13338 fired this volley in
:

Yes, and if they had a dryer, they would not have these problems.

Correct! Then they'd have the problems associated with maintaining the
dryer! (yes, they would! G)

Coalescing filters don't remove enough air, but are cheap to buy and
cheap to operate. Refrigerated filters are damned expensive to buy, but
fairly inexpensive to operate. Calcium chloride absolute filters are
medium cost to buy, but need continual replacements.

An automated drain on the tank, and another on a coalescing filter SIZED
TO YOUR USAGE volumes, is the best combination.

Too small a filter will restrict your flow, and too large a filter won't
cause a large enough adabiatic temperature drop to allow the water to
condense in the filter. THAT's why guys often install water filters
sized to specific individual tools, then install them on the tool's
stinger.

If you can get by draining your cup once a day, a lot of Monday Morning
Valves have built-in coalescing filters which dump upon first application
of air pressure when the lines re-pressurize.

Most filters with a poppet-style drain are made to work that way --
depressureize, and they open -- then apply pressure slowly, and they
drain until the pressure reaches a certain level.

Lloyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com fired this volley in
. 3.70:

Coalescing filters don't remove enough air,

duh... actually, if they work right, they don't remove ANY air..

MOISTURE! (dammit!)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-11-14, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus13338 fired this volley in
:

Yes, and if they had a dryer, they would not have these problems.

Correct! Then they'd have the problems associated with maintaining the
dryer! (yes, they would! G)

Coalescing filters don't remove enough air, but are cheap to buy and
cheap to operate. Refrigerated filters are damned expensive to buy, but
fairly inexpensive to operate. Calcium chloride absolute filters are
medium cost to buy, but need continual replacements.

I have an old refrigerated dryer in my shop. It is old and ugly, but
works great, no problems with it. I routed blasts of air to the
outside.

An automated drain on the tank, and another on a coalescing filter SIZED
TO YOUR USAGE volumes, is the best combination.

I found a low headroom float drain at mcmaster carr, I will put it on
when I get time.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 13 Nov 2013 20:50:33 -0600, Ignoramus13338

On 2013-11-14, John B wrote:

No. I guess my explanation was too brief.

First they installed the air line to give our shop compressed air. The
line became almost a water line due to condensation. Next step, the
Shop Chief installed a little filter and water collecting tank but the
guys in the shop never remembered to drain the water catcher so there
was still water. Finally, the Shop Chief installed this automatic
float operated valve thingee that drained water without depending on
the guys in the shop to remember to do it :-)

Yes, and if they had a dryer, they would not have these problems.

A drier? We had to fight to get the air line :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.