Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
William B Noble (don't reply to this address)

Default compressor auto drain kitquestion...

beware - these are not good if you pump puts out more than 100 or so
PSI - I tried one, my pump is set to 160 - it blew the little o-ring
right through the device and it was totally useless. On the plus
side, harbor freight gave me my money back.

so my tip is "don't"

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 22:29:20 -0800, "ted harris"
wrote:

Hello,
I just purchased a Harbor Freight auto drain kit here;
Anyone got any pictures of their installation job or any tips on installing
it?

Thanks,

Bill

www.wbnoble.com

to contact me, do not reply to this message,
instead correct this address and use it

will iam_ b_ No ble at msn daught com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ted harris

--
Ted Harris
http://www.tedharris.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Keith Marshall

"ted harris" wrote in message
I just purchased a Harbor Freight auto drain kit here;
Anyone got any pictures of their installation job or any tips on
installing
it?

Mine works great... now! But first I had to learn the hard way that the
plastic tubing they include can't handle the heat near the compressor. It
blew right out of the fitting as soon as it got a little warm.

My solution was to replace it with copper tubing to a point about 10 - 12
inches from the drain and then I used a coupling to tie into the plastic
hose for the rest of the run because the fitting on the drain valve itself
is odd and requires the plastic tubing. It's been working fine for 4 years
or so IIRC.

I complained to Harbor Freight and they refunded my money but let me keep
the kit so I can't complain. :-)

My compressor has a 20 gallon tank. If you have something quite a bit
larger I'd be concerned that the valve won't be open long enough to drain
all the water out but I really don't know whether it would be a problem...

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brian Lawson

wrote:

Hello,
I just purchased a Harbor Freight auto drain kit here;
Anyone got any pictures of their installation job or any tips on installing
it?

Thanks,

Hey Ted,

Maybe it won't apply directly to your application, but if you want a
REALLY GOOD tank drain, I suggest items from a company called Burkert,
or from a Burkert local dealer/distributor

http://www.burkert.com/

or

http://www.buerkert.com/

Specifically a solenoid valve:

http://www.buerkert.com/COM/buerkert_products.php?type=6013A&sk_id=30&show_as= 6013

for the voltage you need, AND PLUS

.....the modular timer control for it, for which I have a zillion
numbers on the invoice, but can't locate it on the web page using
them, so ask the dealer for assistance.

Mine is on an 80 gallon vertical DeVilbiss Tradesman model garage
style unit. The drain is simple enough, and I have mine on the
existing bottom-of-tank drain, outboard of the manual drain valve and
fitted with an el-cheapo (Harbor Freight??) quick disconnect, and set
to drain the tank for 10 seconds every 6 hours, and it is set up so
that works on a 10 seconds on, 5 hour 59 minute and 50 seconds off,
which means that anytime the power to the compressor controls (and
this timer) is removed and re-applied (ie...the breaker tuned off and
on) it "blows-down" at actuation and then starts the six hour cycle.
This way, condensation created during compressor operation has time to
"run" to the bottom of the tank, rather than only as the tank unloader
works. The timer is easy to set in many ways and over a huge timing
range. The convenience of the quik-connect is that if I want to
"check it" or reset the timing, I don't have to do it on my knees or
bent over upside down...I just disconnect it and bring it to work
height.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

ps.... for the winter months, it just blows-down into a zorb-all
snake, and in the summer (when it is actually doing something!!) it
blows out a plastic tube under the garage door. It is quite
surprising to me that there is so little blown-down on this cycle, but
prior to adding this unit it used to have quite a fair quantity of
moisture/crap discharge, when and if I was lucky and remembered to do
it manually once a week. Quite a difference! I'm not into painting,
so I can't say how much this affects "dry air supply", but I imagine
it helps a lot. I think if it mattered more to me, I'd set it to a 5
seconds every hour time.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I did install a similar drain on my compressor but it would only drain when
there was 0 psi in the tank. I have my compressor on all the time so it
never drained. When I did stop the compressor and release the air pressure
the rust plugged the drain and I had to file it into file 13 (garbage can).

Eric