Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Keith Marshall

Default compressor auto drain kitquestion...

"ted harris" wrote in message
I just purchased a Harbor Freight auto drain kit here;
Anyone got any pictures of their installation job or any tips on
installing
it?

Mine works great... now! But first I had to learn the hard way that the
plastic tubing they include can't handle the heat near the compressor. It
blew right out of the fitting as soon as it got a little warm.

My solution was to replace it with copper tubing to a point about 10 - 12
inches from the drain and then I used a coupling to tie into the plastic
hose for the rest of the run because the fitting on the drain valve itself
is odd and requires the plastic tubing. It's been working fine for 4 years
or so IIRC.

I complained to Harbor Freight and they refunded my money but let me keep
the kit so I can't complain. :-)

My compressor has a 20 gallon tank. If you have something quite a bit
larger I'd be concerned that the valve won't be open long enough to drain
all the water out but I really don't know whether it would be a problem...

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"