Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Reloading

Yesterday I switched my Lee LoadMaster press from 223 to 9MM. After I got
it all setup, I ran 239 rounds and things went pretty smooth.

The case feeding isn't working good enough on 223 but works great on 9MM. I
plan to try some modifications to feed the 223 cases better.

I already had the brass primed and ready to go so my setup was station 1 -
size, 2 - expander, 3 - powder, 4 - bullet seat, 5 - crimp.

I was planning to use the Lee auto-disk pro powder measure for the 9MM but I
need the part to use pistol cases to activate the case activated powder
drop, so I robbed the Hornandy Lock N load powder measure off of the 223
setup.

It ran so well, I ran until I was out of the bullets (Winchester 115 grain
JHP) I set it up for.

It seems that the Lee LoadMaster works better with 9MM than it does the 223,
mostly because of case feeding. Previously I had powder spill problems with
223 but that seems to be solved by using finer powders, the long extruded
grains would bridge the neck sometimes. So I'm basically putting a bullet
on each case and pulling the handle, 1 loaded round per handle pull, I like
it, but there is a lot more to keep an eye on though.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Yep, 9mm just plain runs easier on my dillon 550 too. "the Kid" like
9mm best on his dillon 650. His biggest complaint is slightly
different size brass , like .38s. And some crimped primer brass. part
of the deal when you buy used range pick up.

9mm is much cheaper to shoot, i figure 15 cents - 8 bullet, 4 primer,
3 powder. I think you can reload the barss almost forever.

I almost don't shoot 5.56 or 7.62x51 anymore - to much $

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 10 Nov 2013 12:09:04 -0600, Karl Townsend
wrote:

Yep, 9mm just plain runs easier on my dillon 550 too. "the Kid" like
9mm best on his dillon 650. His biggest complaint is slightly
different size brass , like .38s. And some crimped primer brass. part
of the deal when you buy used range pick up.

9mm is much cheaper to shoot, i figure 15 cents - 8 bullet, 4 primer,
3 powder. I think you can reload the barss almost forever.

I almost don't shoot 5.56 or 7.62x51 anymore - to much $

Karl

Ive had various progressive presses over the years....from an elderly
C&H "Auto Champ" to Green Machines, to Lee Progressives etc etc...and
have had literally nothing but issues with each of them. The sole
remaining progressive is my C&H Auto Champ and once its set up..it
turns out decent pistol cartridges. But! Setting it up is something
of a pain in the ass when changing cartridges. Once its running...it
will keep cranking out rounds with little issue..but getting to that
point is a pain in the ass. So it has largely remained a .45 ACP setup
for the past 5 or more years

http://www.ch4d.com/equipment/presses/ac

http://www.ebay.com/itm/C-H-Auto-Cha...-/271301141894

Are the Dillons that good? Dad has one, and Ive never asked him about
issues.

Gunner

--
Liberals want everyone to think like them.
Conservatives want everyone to think.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Are the Dillons that good? Dad has one, and Ive never asked him about
issues.

Gunner

The Dillon is indeed a PITA to get running just right. But they sell a
quick change kit so you just slide the whole top of the machine off
and put the next caliber in so there's no re-set up on all the dies. I
have my unit set up for 5.56, 7.62x51 and 9mm.

"The kid" took my 9mm setup apart and ran some 50 AE. I told him to
never do that again. I do have at least four more calibers in the gun
safe. I won't plan on doing these on the 550. I'm finding myself
selling off the other caliber weapons, just because of ammo issues.

The 550 is the only unit i have any real experience with. I'm happy,
does what i need, but really can't say if its better/worse than other
units.

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I bought extra turrets for my Lee, I'll see how well it works when I switch
back to 223. I robbed the Lock N Load powder measure from my 223 turret
because I thought I needed another part to use the Lee measure, just had to
change some parts around. I loaded almost 350 9MM this weekend, ran out of
bullets though.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/10/2013 11:53 AM, RogerN wrote:
[...]

I run 9mm through the LM and just size them first since 9mm are tapered
cases. Then I do a full operation run on them and they run smooth and fast.