Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How to straighten a 5x10ft, 3/4" steel plate

On 2013-10-22, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Mon, 21 Oct 2013 16:25:37 -0500, Ignoramus25661

On 2013-10-21, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Mon, 21 Oct 2013 14:39:12 -0500, Ignoramus25661

On 2013-10-21, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Mon, 21 Oct 2013 11:03:33 -0500, Ignoramus25661

On 2013-10-19, Ignoramus23452 wrote:
I have a 3/4" thick steel plate that is 3/4" thick. It is bowed in the
middle along its length. The worst un-straightness is in the middle
and it is appx. 1/4". I would like to straighten it. How can I
realistically do it, if at all.

A followup: We straightened it with a hydraulic jack and chain. Welded
three 6x3 steel channels underneath to keep it straight, using jack as
each support was welded. Right now, the worst un-straightness across
the whole table, is no more than thickness of one credit card.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/table.jpg

Wow! That's one helluva table, Ig. Congrats on your success.

Thanks Larry.

5x10 feet, 3/4" top, six legs, pretty nice table.

Is this for you or for sale as a welding table? What's she weigh?

For sale. I did not weigh it. Maybe 2,000 lbs.

You'll likely make as much moving it as the sale nets you.
Or do you do rigging of your own sales?

I load out customers for free. Loading this table is easy. I also
offer a non-free delivery.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, October 19, 2013 6:44:23 PM UTC-5, Ignoramus23452 wrote:
I have a 3/4" thick steel plate that is 3/4" thick. It is bowed in the

middle along its length. The worst un-straightness is in the middle

and it is appx. 1/4". I would like to straighten it. How can I

realistically do it, if at all.

I wonder if anyone responding has ever done this? We tried with a plate 1/2 thick of the same app length and width. Our "engineer" had plate rest on I beams at edge. Next huge weight put on center. I just sprung back.
What will work is put it in a plate roll. It might not be perfect but i've seen sheets straightened in plate rolls many times.