Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
daniel peterman

Default Flattening 1/4" Steel Plate?

I have spent literally thousands of hours with shears.
Square up the fence to the blade, maybe reverse the blade for sharpness
or true it up yourself.
I always liked to set it up to cut 3 layers of newsprint..
Keep it oiled with something close to sewing machine oil.
If it has slight nicks just stone them out.
Dang if I had a buck for every stoke I laid on hand and stomp shears
well I would still be broke, but, at least my knees would still be good.
Keep the guard in place if you have one.
Fingers are expensive to replace.

1018 Steel Elongation Chopster Metalworking 5 February 3rd 05 11:31 PM
Old Steel - New Steel Jim Stewart Metalworking 29 April 5th 04 09:24 PM
"homemade" tool steel George Watson Metalworking 39 January 24th 04 12:06 AM
Plastering onto steel Frank Z UK diy 9 July 31st 03 01:18 PM