Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default rifling button pusher

On Sat, 09 May 2015 10:30:59 -0400, Ed Huntress
wrote:

The NRA still sends me emails, and a recent one made me do a real
double-take:

http://graphics.nra.org/online_store/Email/4-30-15.html

A bucket list, with real buckets. "Meat Matters," they say. My meat
sure matters to me. g

And, for a mere $44.95, you can have your very own polished-brass
Hudson's Bay Firestarting kit, a piece of flint and a wad of charred
cloth -- for when the invading hordes soak your matches with water
pistols, I guess:

http://tinyurl.com/qfez4lc

Ain't it pretty? That's for survivalists who buy their camo on Rodeo
Drive, I suppose.

The NRA has gone to hell in a handbasket.

The tactical blanket set me to searching for a definition for
"tactical."

"of or relating to a maneuver or plan of action designed as an
expedient toward gaining a desired end or temporary advantage"

So I suppose if you accept that definition, and are hoping to get some
sleep, that is indeed a tactical blanket.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

g Yes, gun makers and the NRA have been trying hard to co-opt the
word by using it as an abstraction for "homicide." Anything that goes
along with the current state of man-killing gun culture gets a free
ride on the word. Tactical flashlights, for example, are good for
lighting up the people you want to kill.

A cover line for American Rifleman, with, say, a photo of a Glock 18C,
might be "Tactical handguns we'd like to own." An honest and much more
concrete headline for the same gun, on the other hand, might be
"Handguns to mow 'em down."

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I'm too old to go running around so now I look for "strategic"
equipment.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 10 May 2015 06:41:19 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

That's coming next. The first step in that direction is MANPADS. Then
comes the nuclear stuff.

They make for great photography. 40 years ago I worked for Aviation
Week. The ads from Raytheon for air-to-air missiles were beautiful.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

What, Jim? You're not going to correct his wildly mistaken concepts?
He's fallen into the NewSpeak crowd with the Liberals.

The NRA might not be (even close to) perfect, but it's still the
largest and best gun-safety-minded org in the world.

"Tactical" is the equivalent buzzword to "billet" or "sustainable".
Marketing, not WORLD DOMINATION.

"Mow 'em down", indeed. Somebody give MrEd his morning Thorazine /
Haldol cocktail, please.

--
Try not to become a man of success but
rather try to become a man of value.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

. ..

wrote:

[...]

I had five Sharpshooter bars before you were born, hot-shot. I've
watched the evolution and debasement of gun culture in the US. So has
John B.

The NRA might not be (even close to) perfect, but it's still the
largest and best gun-safety-minded org in the world.

That's not how they make their money. That's not how they've built
their membership.

"Tactical" is the equivalent buzzword to "billet" or "sustainable".
Marketing, not WORLD DOMINATION.

It's a dog-whistle word for killing the gooks of your choice --
whoever you fantasize will require a bullet delivered from your little
rifle with the laser sight/flash suppressor/other garbage that will
fit on your Picatinny Rail.

"Mow 'em down", indeed. Somebody give MrEd his morning Thorazine /
Haldol cocktail, please.

You don't know what the Glock 18C is, do you. 1200 rounds/minute will
mow them down pretty good.

Of course, you'd only buy one for killing prairie dogs...

Wake up, Larry.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Few megalomaniacal third-world dictators could resist them.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

The regional SWAT commander was showing some of us his gear. He held
up a scratched Vietnam-era M16A1 and a snazzy dressed-up modern M4
carbine with a tan handguard and asked which I'd prefer. He was
disappointed when I said the one I trained on and knew I could hit
with.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, May 10, 2015 at 7:27:49 AM UTC-7, slow eddy wrote:

[...]

If Larry Jackass was going to wake up he would have done it by now.

Larry Jackass and slow eddy actually have a lot in common.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Larry Jackass is till trying to play adult babysitter.

Larry Jackass is a worthless POS who washed out as an auto mechanic.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Hey, that was their market. The ideal was to sell to one megalomaniac
dictator, and then go sell to his enemy. They could be fired from F4s,
Marages, Migs -- you name it.

They were the 7.62 NATOs of the air-to-air missile business.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, May 10, 2015 at 10:27:49 AM UTC-4, Ed Huntress wrote:

You don't know what the Glock 18C is, do you. 1200 rounds/minute will
mow them down pretty good.

Ed Huntress

Sounds a lot like an Italian sub-machine gun. 1800 unaimed rounds per minute. I forget the book, but it said it was only suitable for assassinations. You start by aiming at the feet and end up shooting over the victoms head.

17 round magazine means you are finished in about 1/100 th of a minute. That is about half a second.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 10 May 2015 10:36:07 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Sunday, May 10, 2015 at 10:27:49 AM UTC-4, Ed Huntress wrote:

You don't know what the Glock 18C is, do you. 1200 rounds/minute will
mow them down pretty good.

Ed Huntress

Sounds a lot like an Italian sub-machine gun. 1800 unaimed rounds per minute. I forget the book, but it said it was only suitable for assassinations. You start by aiming at the feet and end up shooting over the victoms head.

17 round magazine means you are finished in about 1/100 th of a minute. That is about half a second.

Dan

The Glock 18C is a 9mm machine pistol (switchable) with very forceful
recoil compensation. The videos are impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_D9weITWDI

So is the 30-round magazine that's available for them.

All in all, it's a modern, tactical gun-owner's wet dream. Suitable
for blowing away whole herds of gook invaders, just like in the video
games.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
On Sunday, May 10, 2015 at 10:27:49 AM UTC-4, Ed Huntress wrote:

You don't know what the Glock 18C is, do you. 1200 rounds/minute
will
mow them down pretty good.

Ed Huntress

Sounds a lot like an Italian sub-machine gun. 1800 unaimed rounds
per minute. I forget the book, but it said it was only suitable for
assassinations. You start by aiming at the feet and end up shooting
over the victoms head.

17 round magazine means you are finished in about 1/100 th of a
minute. That is about half a second.

Dan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Villar-...submachine_gun

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, September 19, 2013 at 8:18:44 PM UTC+10, Karl Townsend wrote:
I just bought a rifling button so I can make my own 9mm barrels
http://tinyurl.com/kdn8mzg

You need a five ton press to push this button down a barrel to form
the rifling. OK, what would be the highest strength steel i can get
for the pusher. I looked for HSS and couldn't find anything long
enough. looked for already hardened drill rod. It must be out there
but no joy so far.

My first barrels will be 12", want to do 16" in the future.

Karl

Way off NRA discussion, sorry, but I am interested in how you ended up pushing the button through your barrel.

My plan was to use a series of pushing rods, starting with a very short one to get it started, then when approx 1" in the bore, change to the next length, say 2" in length, the increase as you go along.

High strength bard machined to just under bore dia so flex is not such an issue, using a ball bearing, in a dia as close as you can get to bore are the point of contact between Pusher and button, lube can be added as required when the pusher rod is changed out.

It would not be fast, but I cant see why it wont work.

chris.collum13 at(@) gmail

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

3 year old thread, you're lucky I seen it.

I made a bushing two times as long as the button and the same OD as
the barrel. Bore it so the button just slides easily. Clamped barrel
and bushing in a long "V" block so it was right on center under the
hydraulic cylinder. There was a small divot in the center of the
cylinder top locate the top of the push rod. I used six inch long HSS
rods just smaller than the bore. ground a small taper on the ends so
they would not catch and score the rifling.

Push to bushing, retract, remove bushing, push to barrel, retract,
repeat.