Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Totally OT question about Marine band radios for boats

On 7/14/2013 6:15 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
Ill be fixing up my old sailboat in the next few months, so I can take
it on the local lake(s) and get some out on the water time...get the
dust and swarf cleaned out of my skull with some quality water time.

Radios...Ive never owned a VHF marine band two way radio. Do I need
one?

The chances of going out on the ocean are there..but not real high.
The guys that I used to hang with in the 90s who sailed all the time
had em, but is it something I really need? I want one of
course..."ohhh...lights, antennas, wires..cool ****!"

Most of my sailing will be on Californias inland lakes and reservoirs.
I dont even know if the State patrol boats on those lakes monitor
marine band. Same with CB..

Any hints, ideas, suggestions etc etc would be appreciated. Antenna
mountings, powering them from what sort of battery and Solar cell..etc
etc

Anyone have a used marine radio for swap/trade?

Best way to mount an antenna on a sailboat? Mast, railing, hull?
Does a mast make a groundplane? (sorry..stroke effect.... I just
found..cant remember **** about ground plane technicals)

Im ass deep in old CBs that still work, might stick one of those in
the boat..but the Marine radios are cheap enough on Ebay...so was
wondering. Handheld? Mobile 12vt mounted unit?

Help!
(Grin)

Gunner

How else can you call for the Pizza Boat?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" on Wed, 17 Jul 2013
23:37:56 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
wrote:
On Wed, 17 Jul 2013 21:19:46 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Why would anyone have trouble spelling amacheur radio? Spelled like it soundz.

Why would anyone hire someone who can't spell?

Why not? everbudies got spill chucker.

You'd be surprised by the crap people offer on job applications & in
their resumes. A lot of small businesses, and ISO-9001 jobs require
hand written reports.

Lot of documentation comes with three copies, and must be
handwritten - as there is not a program to fill them out. "Scrap
tags" come to mind - documentation to go on file as to why the company
only had 1217 parts in this lot, rather than the 1250 schedule.

--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 18 Jul 2013 00:24:07 -0400, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:

[...]

Ooooh! Id forgotten about the Pizza Boat!!!

--
""Almost all liberal behavioral tropes track the impotent rage of small
children. Thus, for example, there is also the popular tactic of
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Cuz dey got hep wannet? Dey needz hep
so dey put at in de papa.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message m...

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Why would anyone have trouble spelling amacheur radio? Spelled like it soundz.

Why would anyone hire someone who can't spell?

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ewe are so write. Every buddy has spill
Czech pro graham, and you done need
no sex retary.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
wrote in message ...

Why would anyone hire someone who can't spell?

Why not? everbudies got spill chucker.
---

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/18/2013 2:45 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

Yep! Girls in bikinis with hot pizza, cold beer and a warm smile!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-07-18, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

[ ... ]

I congratulate you on your new call, but after almost 50 years of
working with RF I've lost interest in ham radio. Running a 5 MW EIRP
station with a 1749' AAT antenna kind of spoils you. :-)

Thanks! I've been attending hamfests for decades, but without a
strong interest in getting my own ticket -- until now. Another thing to
play with.

I have a Harris Hybrid high band VHF that was retuned for two meters.
It's a heavy mobile, with a rackmount power supply. I was considering
adding a MPU and a pair of DDS chips to make it tune the entire two
meter band, instead of four rock bound channels.

That would be a nice improvement. I remember lots of rock-bound
2 meter handhelds back in the 1970s and 1980s (4 channels IIRC). This
little Yeasu (half the size) has a nice synthesizer VFO built in, and
something like 99 frequency pair memories..

I have some E.F. Johnson & Midland UHF mobile radios that could be
put on 432. The Johnson use a power varactor after the High band VHF
output stage to triple the frequency. Crystal controlled. The Midland
are synthesized, but little information is available on programming them
for 432.

Interesting. Not sure that there is room to build a mobile rig
into my Nissan Cube -- and keep the room for people which I need. :-)

Something like that might work well as a starting point for the
spread spectrum once you cut it free from the rocks.

[ ... communications experiment snipped ... ]

But I got to spend time watching jet fighters taking off into
the dawn one after the the other, and returning rather later and
lighter. Watching those things getting just a little off the ground and
then standing on their tail and climbing was impressive. :-)

I worked around airfields, but only saw copters with student pilots
who came quite close to putting the blades through the window of the
tower while I was repairing equipment in the control room.

Real motivation to getting the tower back on the air, I guess. :-)

My only experience with 'copters was a flight simulator for the
SH-3A (sub hunting 'copter) which my employer built four of. Three in
pairs of 18-wheeler trailers (one for the electronics, and one for the
cockpit and the sonar room with the instructor's console in between),
and one laid out to be installed in a building.

I remember spotting one thing that the engineers missed in the
power rack. They mounted a big contactor on its side to take up less
space, not realizing that the thing needed gravity to turn off quickly.
:-)

That may be why I was eligible for the shift to technician
from assembler when that project (and the following A7A simulator) were
wrapped up.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-07-18, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:
On 7/18/2013 2:45 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Thu, 18 Jul 2013 00:24:07 -0400, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:

On 7/14/2013 6:15 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
Ill be fixing up my old sailboat in the next few months, so I can take
it on the local lake(s) and get some out on the water time...get the
dust and swarf cleaned out of my skull with some quality water time.

Radios...Ive never owned a VHF marine band two way radio. Do I need
one?

[ ... ]

Im ass deep in old CBs that still work, might stick one of those in
the boat..but the Marine radios are cheap enough on Ebay...so was
wondering. Handheld? Mobile 12vt mounted unit?

Help!
(Grin)

Gunner

How else can you call for the Pizza Boat?

Ooooh! Id forgotten about the Pizza Boat!!!

Pizza boat on the lakes, or out in the ocean?

Do they listen to Marine band, CB, or cell phones?

Yep! Girls in bikinis with hot pizza, cold beer and a warm smile!

Sounds like a nice combination.

Sure never experienced that on the Chesapeake (sort of half-way
between freshwater lakes and salt water. Enough salt brought in by
tidal operation to make it about half salty.

We welcomed the heavy rains inland which resulted in the bay
getting fresher. The real benefit from that is that it reduced the
count of "sea nettles" (rather nasty jellyfish -- not as bad as a
Portugese Man-o-War, but still quite uncomfortable to encounter
swimming, or even when paddling a kayak and the up-side paddle blade
brings up a tentacle or two and drapes it over your arm, which starts
burning. :-)

Early in the season, they are sort of ghostly blobs. Late in
the season, they develop sort of red and ghostly alterating wedges like
the panels in an umbrella. :-) The better to spot the ones near the
surface at least. You do *not* want to dive in deep in the late season.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, July 14, 2013 9:26:04 PM UTC-4, wrote:

Are you still working on getting your amateur radio license? I am pretty sure you can get a Baofeng dual band walkie Taklie for about $40 on Ebay and use it on the amateur bands and the marine band. Plus it has a FM radio..

Dan

Mea Culpa. The Baofeng in not legal on the marine band or the frs, murs, or GMRS bands in that it is not FCC part 95 approved. It is not so much that it will not work at those frequencies , because it will transmit and can receive on those bands. The problem is that the operator can program it to other frequencies. And FCC 95 requires that the radios be designed so they can only be used an those frequencies. So if you have bought one of these, you can use it to monitor the marine band frequencies. But you can not legally transmit on those frequencies.

But do not go buy a marine band radio on Ebay unless you make sure it complies with the narrow band requirements that went into effect last January.

Sorry about that

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 5 Aug 2013 06:51:13 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Sunday, July 14, 2013 9:26:04 PM UTC-4, wrote:

Are you still working on getting your amateur radio license? I am pretty sure you can get a Baofeng dual band walkie Taklie for about $40 on Ebay and use it on the amateur bands and the marine band. Plus it has a FM radio.

Dan

Mea Culpa. The Baofeng in not legal on the marine band or the frs, murs, or GMRS bands in that it is not FCC part 95 approved. It is not so much that it will not work at those frequencies , because it will transmit and can receive on those bands. The problem is that the operator can program it to other frequencies. And FCC 95 requires that the radios be designed so they can only be used an those frequencies. So if you have bought one of these, you can use it to monitor the marine band frequencies. But you can not legally transmit on those frequencies.

A little thing like Part 95 is not going to worry me in the slightest.
Least of all in the areas where Im likely to use it. Shrug.

The "Friendly Candy Company" isnt like the ATF...anymore.
However..I am..am looking for a good used, individual Marine radio.

But do not go buy a marine band radio on Ebay unless you make sure it complies with the narrow band requirements that went into effect last January.

None of the old ones have been Grandfathered? Id be tremendiously
suprised if that were the case. Any info on that? (later note..check
data below)

Sorry about that

Dan

My Baofeng UV-B6 shows that it will be delivered today as it hit the
local post office at 7am, according to the tracking data
The programming data is already on my computer and the freqs and
whatnot are already programmed in for marine, ham and several local
agencies (receive only), when it arrives, Ill plug in the charger and
this evening, program it. Ill give a review in the next day or 2.

Almost 3 weeks shipping. The programming cable took 6 days to get
here.

Shrug...Ill not be going on the ham bands until I get my ticket, but
now Ill be able to test any marine radios I encounter in my scrounging
efforts. (low power and a dummy load is in my truck already)

And I thank YOU for the original information leading up to the
monumental cost of $40 for the radio and $3.50 for the programming
cable and software.

Btw...I just did a quick search o the subject

You may review the very last data line at the bottom. If its hard to
read (and Ive not corrected the formating..so it probably is hard to
read) ..simply click on the link below.

http://wirelessradio.net/Myths-Realities.htm

Narrowbanding Myths and Realities
Myth: The Narrowbanding Mandate requires licensees to "go digital"
(i.e. P25; NXDN; MotoTRBO, TETRA)
Myth: The Narrowbanding Mandate requires licensees to use 6.25 KHz
emissions
Myth: The Narrowbanding Mandate requires licensees to change to a new
frequency or band
Myth: The Narrowbanding Mandate requires licensees to use trunking
technology

The above claims are false in the context of any of them actually
being required to comply with the
narrowbanding mandate. They may, however, be valid OPTIONS for
consideration by individual
licensees or certain types of radio system user groups (i.e. Public
Safety) when comparing the features, capabilities, benefits and added
value those advanced technology options offer with those provided by
existing radio systems and/or, in determining whether present systems
still effectively meet a licensees
current and future communications needs and requirements.

It is imperative that licensees thoroughly discuss, analize, and
understand how these OPTIONS may
(or may not) be beneficial to their specific radio system operations.
Using the services of qualified radio communications professionals
when planning and implementing any narrowband migration project is
highly recommended.

Myth: Wideband licensees may continue to operate on a "secondary user"
basis after 01/01/2013

Not true. ALL Part 90 VHF and UHF two way voice dispatch, data, SCADA,
and private radio paging systems must be operating in a 12.5 KHz
narrowband (or equivalent) mode on or before the 01/01/2013 date
unless -- and only if -- a Narrowbanding Waiver has been issued to
the licensee.

Myth: Everybody must narrowband again by 2017

This myth is inaccurate. This date applies only to Part 90 Public
Safety 700 MHz systems which must be operating with 6.25 KHz
emissions/equivalency by January 1, 2017. Part 90 VHF (150-174 MHz)
or UHF (421-470 MHz) licensees are NOT required to migrate to 6.25 KHz
emissions/equivalency by this or any other date

Myth: 3rd Party narrowbanding "kits" may be used to modify equipment
to comply with the Mandate

No. "To be compliant with the commission's rules, the radio must be
specifically certificated for
narrowband use under Part 90" (Ira Keltz, deputy chief, FCC's
Office of Engineering and
Technology -
http://missioncriticalmag.com/onlyon...lyOnlineID=147
01/20/2010
and
http://missioncriticalmag.com/onlyon...lyOnlineID=151
02/02/2010)

Also see the FCC's responses to FAQ's regarding other
Narrowbanding scenarios

Also see VHF/UHF FAQ's

Reality: Part 90 narrowbanding is NOT optional

Reality: Do NOT ignore the narrowbanding compliance date of January 1,
2013

Reality: Failure to comply without an FCC Waiver WILL result in
license revocation and/or monetary penalties

Reality: Narrowbanding is not complete until all subscriber and
infrastructure radios in a system have been
either replaced or re-programmed to operate in the
narrowband mode. Many existing radio systems are
still operating in the wide-band mode - do you know
the status of YOUR system?

Reality: Interference WILL occur to wideband systems as new narrowband
systems are
deployed on narrowband frequencies adjacent to those
used by wideband systems

Reality: After 01/01/2013, any Part 90 system still operating in the
wideband mode that causes
interference to compliant narrowband systems will be
subject to several FCC enforcement
actions, including the immediate shut down of the
offending system

Reality: Low, potentially distorted, or unintelligible audio or,
corrupted data, WILL occur
between wideband and narrowband devices operating in the
same system

Reality: Narrowbanding WILL require well-planned and coordinated
implementation strategies
to avoid disruption of normal day-to-day radio
communications and operations

Reality: After 01/01/2013, all dual-mode capable 25/12.5 KHz radio
equipment must be operated
only in the 12.5 KHz narrowband mode

*** Note below ***

Reality: The Narrowbanding Mandate does NOT apply to Low Band (30-50
MHz) 220, 700, 800 or 900 MHz Part 90 systems, nor to FRS, GMRS, MURS,
Amateur, Marine VHF, or CB radio users

--
""Almost all liberal behavioral tropes track the impotent rage of small
children. Thus, for example, there is also the popular tactic of
repeating some stupid, meaningless phrase a billion times" Arms for
hostages, arms for hostages, arms for hostages, it's just about sex, just
about sex, just about sex, dumb,dumb, money in politics,money in
politics, Enron, Enron, Enron. Nothing repeated with mind-numbing
frequency in all major news outlets will not be believed by some members
of the populace. It is the permanence of evil; you can't stop it." (Ann
Coulter)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

It got hear as I was hitting Send. Id posted this and my wife was
standing over me..handing me the box.